“Extremely good service, wonderful food, lovely overall experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mex

Ranked #18 of 122 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Extremely good service, wonderful food, lovely overall experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely experience whilst visiting this restaurant, mainly due to the delightful and very helpful waitress, who, unfortunately I can't remember her name, but was also backed up by the good service, lovely food, very big portions and amazing margaritas!! Well definately go again next time in st ives!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hednesford, United Kingdom
“Tasty & Large Helpings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff...clean restaurant and very nice food. Very tasty and large helpings... Reasonable prices too, a must if you visit St Ives

Visited May 2013
Truro, United Kingdom
“Our little Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have eaten at this little gem for many years now. We never fail to have a great meal. The staff are amazing and very welcoming and friendly. It is a small restaurant and booking would be advised but the size adds to a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good veggie selection, great service, HUGE PORTIONS.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Mex is located on one of the main streets in St Ives and is easy to find. It's not a huge place and we were surprised to visit at around 6.30 on a Thursday to find no one else in there - however by the time the starters arrived the place had started to fill and was nearly full by the time we finished so get there early doors if you haven't booked!

The service was fantastic - the lady who saw to us was, I think, the owner and spent a lot of time with each table explaining about the different menu options, she was really friendly and made the place feel warm and inviting. 10/10 for service!

The menu was quite varied, we only looked at the veggie options and there were plenty of starters to choose from and around 4-5 mains. I would say the only slight let down on the menu would be the desserts, nothing seemed particularly Mexican but I may be wrong - by the time we'd munched our way through starters I knew I wouldn't even be able to consider a pudding! Which brings me on to portion sizes....THEY ARE HUGE!

I ordered the nachos which came with huge helping of delicious refried beans, much tastier than any I have tried in any other Mexican restaurant, sour cream, guacamole, lots and lots of cheese....Really tasty and reasonably priced. My partner had the veggie burrito which had just as much cheese and was about a foot long! Luckily he had a huge appetite so managed to finish it off although I did have to roll him all the way back to our B&B in Carbis Bay. I was defeated which was a shame as the meal was so delicious.

We both agreed that it was the best Mexican food we've had, really delicious. Will definitely visit again but will probably skip starters!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Overall experience was great. Service very good with the owner going well above what expected. Food quality excellent and the portion size was huge! Great place to go to after a day on the beach. Margaritas very good ;-)

Visited April 2013