“Great food, great service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Polperro
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We offer comfortable and cosy B&B and self catering accommodation at the Inn where you can enjoy a great selection of local Cornish real ales, beers, wines, spirits, soft drinks and hot drinks in a comfortable and cosy oldy worldy pub atmosphere. Our freshly cooked, homemade food is served all day until 9pm at night and includes breakfast, cream teas and a specials board featuring our team of chefs' specials of the day including local fish dishes.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We came to Polperro for a nice quite break, stayed just up the road in Rose cottage which was also amazing.
We tried every pub in polperro and this one is far the best for quality of food and drink, service, friendlyness and welcomeness. Will definitely be eating here again throughout our stay. The chicken roulade was amazing.

Broadbeach, Australia
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had a serve of good old English fish and chips here, it was excellent,that much I thought I couldn't finnish it,but I managed.

Visited October 2013
Berkshire UK
“Nice food at reasonable prices, but they need to brush-up on their customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We dined here one mid-week lunchtime whilst visiting Polperro on a family holiday. The food was nice and reasonably priced and the surroundings are very pleasant. However there was a mix-up with the order and one main course was accidentally missed off when the food was served, but instead of just speaking quietly and saying sorry, we will get the other meal out as soon as we can. The waitress went behind the bar, collected the order she had been given and returned to our table waving it in our faces and saying very loudly that the order was correct !!!
Then from our table she shouted to the man behind the bar who took our order (I think he might be the owner) seeking some form of support, and his response was "well I'm sorry sir but you did not order that meal". I know this to be incorrect, but whether it was or was not, this is not how you deal with a genuine mistake, especially if you would like customers to return.
I'm sure we will be returning to Polperro again as it's a very beautiful place, but next time we will be sure to find another place to eat, as I find unnecessary embarrassment whilst dining often causes indigestion.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
alancrockford, Owner at Crumplehorn Inn & Mill, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your food.

I would like to explain our food ordering system in the pub. The customer comes to the bar and orders their food. The person taking the order reads it back to the customer and then, when the till transaction is completed, the till sends the order electronically to the kitchen. The chefs cook the food and then the waiting staff take the food to the table. In your case it is apparent that one less order was either given or heard at the point of order.

From our point of view, it’s not a question of apportioning blame. Unfortunately it is just not possible for our waiting staff to arrange meals from the kitchen which have neither been through the order system at the till, nor indeed been paid for. Given these circumstances, the waitress had no choice but to return to your table to explain that the actual physical order receipt was correctly delivered to your table (meaning the remaining meal had not gone through the order system at the till and you had not in fact paid for the meal in question either). Whatever the case, the missing meal would need to be ordered at the bar and paid for in order to go through to the kitchen for cooking and delivery to your table.

Even in your quoting the gentleman behind the bar, he was simply confirming (and apologising most sincerely judging by your own quote of ‘I’m sorry Sir’) that the meal had been missed off the order. Unfortunately, it was a simple fact that a meal was missing and needed to be ordered in order for it to be cooked and delivered to your table.

Mistakes happen as everyone is human but fortunately, such instances are few and far between and, most of the time, these mishaps are accepted with good grace and without embarrassment or indigestion.
“Fantastic fantastic mixed grill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am currently sitting in this pub/ hotel having my lunch with my partner I am having the mixed grill she is having a burger wow what a dinner I have it here every year and it just gets better and better we usually have the table by the kitching door but today we are sitting down the front please please do eat here even if your not staying please eat here it is without doubt the best in Polperro if not Cornwall thank you Alan and Sonja for a great meal x

London, United Kingdom
“Polperro October 2013”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is the first stop at Polperro on the way to the village. Nice small pub, with a large beer garden and benches out front. Has bed and breakfast option.
Not as good as Blue Peter by far or Three Pilchards, but worth a visit!

Visited October 2013