“What a lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Penzance
Dunstable
“What a lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have just returned from a one night stay at Hotel Penzance.This is a little gem of a hotel.From the time I arrived until departure this morning I have experienced great customer service.The receptionist on arrival couldnt have been more helpful,explaining everything and showing me to my room.Well,what a lovely room,room 11,with a lovely view across the bay.The room was beautifully adorned with soft fluffy towels,bathrobe and lovely comfortable bed and pillos.Even down to the teddy bear sitting on the bed//
lovely shower and bath etc etc.
Then the dinner// I went in early,about 5.45pm and asked Peter for a dry sherry.He was so helpful.I ordered squid followed by fillet of beef with roast potatoes and vegetables.
I have to say the squid melted in your mouth,so easy to cook squid wrongly and the beef was to die for.A special mention to the lady who served me last night and was there at breakfast this morningt.
The breakfast was excellent also.
I commend this hotel to all Tripadvisor readers.You wont be disappointed.
Congratulations to owner and staff for making my stay so enjoyable.I will be back
Barrie Neville

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We have been fortunate enough to have been in many many hotels around the world....this was different. Right from the start we were made to feel special and very welcome. Nothing was too much trouble, central location with fantastic view, homely, bright and spotlessly clean room.
The staff were all extremely helpful and knew their jobs.
The restaurant was a particular highlight. Great menu and wine list with lovely ambiance and view.
We will definately return. Well done to everyone at Hotel Penzance.

Much Love

Carol and Kerr Wells (Milan, Italy)

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed here for two nights while down in Cornwall for a cousin's wedding. Loved the fluffy bathrobes, great breakfast, central location, comfy and huge bed (we were in a standard room), helpful staff (we ordered late night sandwiches rather than eating in the restaurant) and the cats strolling around! Would have loved the swimming pool but the weather was rubbish!

Grantham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We wanted a relaxing holiday and booked in here for 7 nights. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and managed to park (it is steep but by the end of the week I had the hang of it). Check in was very efficient but frendly and helpful with a guided tour.

We had a superior room (room 10) which was clean, nicely decorated and had great views of the harbour and St Michaels Mount. It was always quiet too - we had rooms around us and above us but didn't suffer with noise from other rooms like some other hotels.

We had dinner each night in the restaurant and the food is excellent. It seems a bit pricey, but the food is of a fantastic standard and you are looked after by the staff. Over 7 nights the service and food was consistently excellent.

Breakfast - lots of choice from the cold buffet table and cooked menu - again excellent standard.

As some others have mentioned in reviews - the afternoon tea and cake is a real winner and we took full advantage every day. The honesty bar is a nice touch too.

If you are staying here go up the road to Marizion where the beaches are good, and try and get there at low tide so you can walk across to the Mount - magical!

So thankyou to all the staff - nothing seemed too much trouble and we felt well looked after. I would recommend the Hotel to anyone.

Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
I'll be pleased to pass on your most generous comments to the staff, it's guests such as yourself who really make our job worthwhile.

We do try to provide service and comforts beyond what is normally expected at our rating, and clearly our efforts were appreciated by you, please come back any time.
Gosport,Hants
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We arrived by train from Portsmouth.The hotel does offer a pick up service but we decided to walk as we needed to stretch our legs and we travel light..
It is only 5-10 minute walk. Be warned the last few hundred yards are steep ! We nicknamed it 'Heart attack hill'. :0)
The reception was quick and we were offered tea,coffee,biscuits,etc. while our bags were dealt with.
The room is quite big and has a huge,comfortable bed.
The bathroom is bigger than the norm.
The room is clean but could do with a new lick of paint and the furniture updating.
The breakfast is great.
It is best to pre-book the restaurant for the evening as it is very popular and rightly so.
We had a table on the veranda which has a great view of Penzance.
The food is excellent but not cheap, treat yourself.
The two hotel cats are very beautiful.
The only slight problem i had was the nightime entry system.Luckily a guest let us in.
I should have reported this but forgot.
The internet is free for half an hour per day.
I would recommend the hotel to one and all.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Checked in for a 2 night stay at the Penzance Hotel this last weekend and overall had a pleasant experience.

Check-in was smooth, staff friendly and helpful throughout - as were the two cats sat on the Piano in the entrance! Room was fine, quite large, clean and of the appropriate standard for a 3* hotel. If anything I think it's probably worth spending more for a room with a view - I didn't and I regretted it!

Ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was very good - in fact it was perhaps a "cut-above" the rest of the hotel. I've stayed in plenty of 4 and 5* places with restaurants well below "The Bay". We were given drinks and an appetizer whilst we browsed the menu - only gripe being my Corona being poured into a glass instead of being served in the bottle with a lime - I really am being picky here! I had fish, my girlfriend had the lamb and both were excellent, as was the desert. Great views over the bay and some nice artwork on the walls. It's not posh, it's not stuffy, it's just nice.

Ordered room service on the 2nd night as we were being lazy - no issues here and the same good standard of food. I'd certainly stay again, although I didn't think much of Penzance itself. The hotel is well positioned to put you within striking distance of other activities - Minack Theatre being the best of the local bunch in my opinion.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Penzance for our 12th wedding anniversary and what an amazing choice this was - it was truly a magical weekend. Everything about this hotel is fantastic - room was very comfortable, well stocked with tea, coffee, chocolate, biscuits and water, great TV, free Internet for first 30 minutes, and lovely bathroom with decent shower gels, hand soap and lotions plus TWO bathrobes. There was even a teddy bear on the bed, which, for a soft toy lover like me, stole my heart even before we'd entered the room. Room overlooked the sea - huge windows meant you could laze in bed in the morning and see right across the bay. Lovely staff on duty, particularly in The Bay restaurant, and a fantastic menu. They even have a vegan menu, as well as excellent vegetarian options on the main menu, and the desserts were super too. WIne list was excellent. Breakfast was also noteworthy - Cornish specialties as well as the typical Continental. Was probably the best anniversary hotel we've stayed in - and we tend to do this every year - so that's saying quite a lot! A brilliant place to stay - hope to get back there for Christmas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!