“Friendly Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Exeter
“Friendly Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights on the second week of September. Very friendly and helpful staff. Tea and cakes served every afternoon which is a nice touch, We had a most comfortable Superior room with a great view over the harbour. As the weather was great we had a relaxing breakfast on the deck overlooking the pool and harbour. A nice restaurant serving excellent food with an "early bird" menu before 18.30. We will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kehribar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi,
We really appreciate your nice comments and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The 'early bird' menu is proving to be very popular especially as it also includes our menu du jour for £13.45 for a two course meal, served up until 18.30. It is an ideal option to our picnic when wanting to go out and about to explore West Penwith or if going to the Minack Theatre for the evening.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Bye for now from a lovely sunny, but windy, Penzance.
Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights beginning of September. So many of positives: really helpful, lovely staff, who can't do enough to accommodate you. Rooms are spotless, comfortable and well maintained. The hotel is in a lovely location and has the most fantastic outlook, one of the best, overlooking St Michael's Mount.
During my stay I had an accident (NOT at the hotel), as such we needed to move rooms to one more accessible. Staff arranged this to no extra cost and were so helpful and kind.
The first room was cosy, but really comfortable, the second (a superior room) really lovely and spacious, with fantastic views. When I stay again I will pay extra for this room as its fabulous.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant and was delicious. The waiting staff where attentive and helpful. On our last morning I couldn't eat in the restaurant (due to an injury I had) and the staff insisted on bringing breakfast to me in my room, which was lovely.
The pool area is spotless and there is complimentary tea, coffee and cakes served in the lounge in the afternoon, which is a nice gesture.
The staff work really hard to ensure guests are well looked after and this really is a lovely hotel.
Lucky you if you have a holiday booked here, we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Superior room is worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kehribar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and am sorry that you had your accident whilst staying in Penzance. We are glad that we could move you to a more suitable room whilst you were incapacitated and it was our pleasure to be able to look after you. It was great to meet you both and hope your ankle mends quickly so that you can come and visit us again very soon. Sue
Langport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a couple of nights stay in this hotel. We booked a superior sea view room which was very comfortable, good views and extremely quiet.
We were made most welcome and offered tea and nibbles on arrival.
I would recommend this hotel, the only 2 negatives were that the car parking was extremely tight and the hot tap on the bath did not work, we reported this to reception as we left and I felt sure that this would have soon be rectified.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Valerie, Thank you for your positive review and am glad you enjoyed your stay - it was good to meet you both. Glad you liked the complimentary afternoon tea on arrival too and I will be happy to park your car for you should you wish. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Sue
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Am so disappointed, stayed for our honeymoon, second time at this hotel and standards have more then fallen they have tumbled. I have just spent £154 in their restaurant to have the doors closed on us at 9.48 without even the offer of another drink. Appalling service considering we have booked 2 nights at £200 per night. Small room considering the room we stayed in last time and still the high price. Second night of our honeymoon treated like second class citizens. Talland Bay was location of our wedding and have realised we have made a huge mistake moving to here. Never again.
Cost cutting is noticeable as are staff changes. Don't bother if you want value for your money.
Absolutely spoiled the beginning of our honeymoon and am glad to be moving on tomorrow.

• Stayed September 2013
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
I know an apology does not make up for a disappointing experience, but I am truly sorry; closing the restaurant doors at service end is not our normal practice as you know from your previous stay, but an error of judgement by a new member of staff on their first week who now is fully aware of the way things should be done. You should most certainly not have felt treated like a second class guest. Drink service to guests is available 24 hours and staff are available to provide it.
As far as our rooms are concerned, they are all different and graded as much by view as size, each with their own advantages. Occasionally at peak season, it's not possible to allocate the same room previously occupied, and as you booked a double/twin previously and a double this time, the rooms would not be comparable in size although their grade remains the same; I can assure you that there has been no cost cutting at all & I'm sorry you got that impression
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I feel sorry to say that becos I like this hotel. The food, the room, the location and the people are nice and good except one female receptionist. Her name is ALEX, she works in a front desk. I think she isn't that logical and mean if you challenges her mistake. For instance, I told her to check a train schedule from Penzance to Bodmin Parkway and bus schedule from Bodmin Parkway to Padstow. However, she only printed out the BUS schedule from Penzance to Padstow so when I told her again I need a train schedule then she only gave me those morning train schedule even I already mentioned to her that I'll leave after 2pm cos I wanted to do more sightseeing in the morning before I left. She always show her long face to me I guess she is just being rude, even worse, she deducted my 30 pounds expenses for dinner without noticing me. Although I told her I'll settle the payment after I come back around 2pm when I correct my luggage before leaving as I was a bit in rush in the morning and I didn't want to miss any sightseeing spot on my last day in Penzance. However, she told me that she deducted my expenses from my credit card and saying she sent me an email to informed me. But I didn't receive any email from her even until I come back to London from my trip. So I gonna write to her boss to check. Seriously, if she doesn't give attitudes to her clients, why doesn't she quit her job? She doesn't have to be here. I hope her boss will talk to her after he saw this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
I am very shocked to read your review, I've never had any complaint about Alex's attitude before this and I shall certainly investigate and ensure no one else is left with a poor impression of the front of house staff. Nor is it the hotel policy to take final payments from credit cards without prior authorisation except in the case of someone who has left without settling their final account. Please accept my apologies. Notwithstanding the difficulties you had, I know you appreciated the restaurant and all the other staff you encountered, and I hope your onward trip via Padstow was enjoyed without incident.
Tiverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This Hotel is situated on a steep slope just off the front, the carpark is a bit of a challenge if you are driving a 4x4 as I was, but hotel staff waved me out and even offered to back it out for me ( I declined!) . Coffee was served on arrival and I was checked in even though I had arrived much earlier than I had intended to. The single room was spotless and I was helped with my luggage. If you stay here you must eat in the restaurant as the food is totally out of this world, dinner was very special and when I popped back one lunch time even the sandwich was a work of art. I did`nt notice any musty smell or any music at dinner. When I left this morning the floor in reception was being washed and there were beautiful lilies . I was a solo traveller and could not have been made more welcome , the maitre d was great and chatted to me which was lovely when you are dining alone. If I had any moan at all it would be that one night I could not get the cold tap to produce more that a trickle, but I presumed that everyone was using water at the same time. Great Hotel , great views, great staff , O and very haughty hotel cat ! Shall be returning, next year.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view, single room looks over car park so can be a bit noisey
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel is nicely furnished and decorated, but somehow smelt old and musty. Breakfast was delicious although painfully slow, it took an hour from start to finish, which put our day behind schedule! Staff were friendly and helpful and everything about the hotel was very nice. Nothing a few well placed air fresheners wouldn't sort!

Room Tip: Superior room with sea view. Smaller than expected but lovely view and well equipped and furnished.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Many thanks for letting us know about the breakfast service being slow, it ought to be paced according to the wishes of the guest. At this time of year people generally want to take it easy & graze both the continental buffet and have cooked to order dishes afterwards, a quiet word should have speeded things up for you, I'm sorry it delayed your departure.
As far as the 'musty' smell is concerned, although I can't be sure as I don't have your stay dates, I think you may have stayed recently when we had a guest flood a bathroom which soaked 3 room's carpets and breached the restaurant ceiling. The hotel was 100% occupied, so we were unable to move anyone, and we used carpet cleaners, dryers and fresheners to cure the problem swiftly. With 100% wool carpets there inevitably was a bit of a 'whiff' of wet wool for a day or so afterwards. I hope this hasn't put you off a return visit whenever you're back in Penzance

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!