“Value for money, Entertaining, Helpful staff, Good English Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Union Hotel
1 Chapel Street, Penzance TR18 4AE, England   |
Ranked #55 of 91 Penzance B&B and Inns
Kent
“Value for money, Entertaining, Helpful staff, Good English Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

The manager/owner is a very helpful entertaining guy. The reviews that say he is rude are NOT correct. They have misunderstood his sense of humour. He is not boring and is very happy if you tease him back! He is English and has an English sense of humour, think "Basil Fawlty" big time. The four of us had a wonderful stay at the hotel and the English Breakfast is huge. If you want a five star hotel with porters this hotel is not for you but then it does not have five star prices!
Many historical artefacts at the hotel lots relating to Nelson. If you ask the owner nicely he may show you the Nelson room. I have seldom had better value at a hotel but please appreciate the quirky sense of humour of the owner. Rude he is not, Entertaining he is. Breakfast is like being on stage. He could charge extra for the entertainment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
surrey uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We had a great time! we were all made to feel so very welcome (over 60s, mid 30s and two young children) our rooms were very clean and towels and bedlinen very fresh. the only downside was lack of showers in the bathrooms (but rubber hoses on taps surficed!!)
the bar was great and very well run by Fred. The food was good and wholesome, (plenty of it) breakfast extremely good. The whole thing was presided over by the General Manager, Howey, who kept us entertained the whole weekend. Nothing was too much trouble for him. We cant wait to go back in the near future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
somerset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I thought it was lace curtains - but it was cobwebs. Even the soap was 7 months out of date!!

I arrived before 5pm and the reception was closed so I booked in at the bar. I thought I was the maid - given the smallest room, in the farthest highest part of the hotel at the back, and carried my own luggage. No welcome, at all. And the room so small the main door, and wardrobe door could not be fully opened as there was no room. I could write my name in the dust and the "12"' TV did not work. The pillow case looked used.....

Breakfast was economy and nothing looked fresh. It all looked neglected and I would never visit again - I think I was the only one staying that night........creepy. Shame as the building is excellent

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stayed here before and it was friendly and nice. Came back because of it and felt we were in the way. The room wasn't good and the linen didn't seem too clean. Won't be going back

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Great value, the hotel has seen better days but the rooms are pretty decent, and we even got a view of the sea :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Union Hotel has been maliciously represented in another review present here which has moved me to offer my own opinion.
This hotel is a very large and historic granite building - containing the Trafalgar Room, from the balcony of which the result of the battle of the same name was first announced before it was known anywhere else in Britain. In the back yard are the remains of a very historic theatre which I hope will one day be conserved and re-opened in some way.
The hotel has a faded glamour which many (including myself) find very charming. It is not a boutique-style hotel with rows of cushions, but it is clean, has lots of hot water and an honest good breakfast in a pretty room and a friendly atmosphere. It is sensible and does not pretend to be anything but what it is: a large, old, traditional hotel. The manager, who I find very likeable and helpful is gradually introducing improvements which I have noticed over time on subsequent visits.

Breakfast is served either in the very pleasant Theatre Bar, or in the Trafalgar Room, depending on the numbers of guests staying. Suffice it to say, that Howie, the Manager and Tansy and other members of staff have always been very friendly and accommodating, without intrusion, which I very much appreciate. I feel very much at home and comfortable here.The hotel itself is most definitely not infested. I would never stay there if it was and I have returned several times as it is very conveniently placed in the most beautiful street in Penzance and some rooms have views over towards St Michael’s Mount and Newlyn. The hotel itself is on a busy street as all truly old hotels are in town centres, but one can always ask for a room at the back of the building, or high up. The bar and restaurant at street level is a definite plus and has not disturbed me when I was there as I stay as high as possible!

Opening the curtains to the sunrise and the sound of seagulls crying and seeing the steamer leave harbour for the Scilly Isles is heart-expanding for me! I think others who left damning remarks would have been better off in a Travel Lodge type accommodation, as they have clearly not understood the environment. Seagulls often crowd on old buildings like this in West Cornwall and it is likely that the scratching came from nesting birds. It goes with the territory and is nobody's fault. This hotel is a short distance from the beautiful Egyptian House, not far from buses that can take you all over West Cornwall and a stone's throw from a really interesting art gallery

Enjoy your stay; I have!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Mill Creek, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel for June 26th through the 28th as the first 20 choices were already booked due to the Penzance & Cornwall Mazey Day Festival. We booked from the U.S. and were unaware there was going to be a festival; that aside the reasons for never staying at this hotel are not related to the festival. When we arrived we were told the parking lot we used was OK, we received a 60 pound ticket at 8:30 a.m. the next day (we didn't pay the ticket). The rooms need a renovation, very small, dingy and a most uncomfortable bed. The room we were given was on the 3rd floor, there is no lift so we had to carry the bags up 3 flights of narrow stairs. The second night we were there a wedding was scheduled, they partied on the stairs (fire hassard) and continued until well after midnight when my husband finally had to try and find the so called manager and ask to have the wedding party to quiet down so we could get some sleep. The bar is the only positive for this hotel, not the food, just the beer and atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Hotel? Share your experiences!