“Terrible customer service!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #109 of 130 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in an area of Penzance known as The Green Market.
“Terrible customer service!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Ordered a take away and when I got home my order was wrong, In my duck dish there was not a single bit of duck! Rang them up and spent 5 mins with the guy arguing with me telling me there was duck in the meal. He used every excuse going, the best one was that it was chopped up small so I couldn't see it! No sorry, no offer of another one. So told them I would just bring back the whole order and get my money back and go somewhere else. When I got there and they looked they finally agreed there was no duck and blamed it all on the chef. This was now an hour after I had first placed my order. Suddenly out of the kitchen comes my dish with the duck, and they wanted to just give me that, I said well the rest of the order is now cold, they took it away, and then came back 5 mins later and said it was all fresh. Mistake number 1, I didn't just stick with what I had planned to do and get a refund, mistake number 2, I didn't check that it was all fresh! So yeah you've guessed it I got home to find that the only thing they did replace was the chips! Really couldn't be bothered to go back there for the 3rd time and waste my time, I'll just never go there again for a take away or a meal!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Zero Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Oh dear, what goes around comes around. Time for some come uppance here. The New Hong Kong has always been a family favourite but over the past few months they don't seem to care anymore. I hate to leave a bad review for a local business but maybe it might make them take notice and shape up. Standards have dropped over the past few winter months. Surly staff, mediocre food that is not value for money and a 'take it or leave it' attitude. It's the summer season now so unsuspecting tourists will no doubt have a bad meal and have to 'lump it'. Start taking more care, You need customers in the winter, as well as the summer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Camborne, England, United Kingdom
“Nicer than the sea palace!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Warm welcome, Hot food, Lovely buffet, Excellent choice,
Decor could do with updating and cold plates but overall a nice place to eat and wouldn't hesitate to eat there again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Becoming Rather Shabby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have been to the New Hong Kong on several occasions and unfortunately each time I have enjoyed it less and less. The last time, we went on a weekday evening, which you would expect to be rather quiet, especially as we were informed that they may not do have the 'all you can eat' buffet that evening due to lack of customers. However, we arrived and the restaurant was packed, so we had to wait for approx. 15 minutes just to be seated at our reserved table. Yes, the food was very good value, although there did not seem to be much choice (in comparison to other Chinese buffets I have been to), while the kitchen staff seemed to struggle to keep the buffet well stocked due to the number of customers. Meanwhile, the decor has become quite shabby in recent times, and the exterior has absolutely no kerb appeal. We had a distinctly average meal at the New Hong Kong and doubt we will return again soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Birthday meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Saturday night birthday meal. We had 26 seats booked and they coped with the seating plan well. We were spread over two tables, but together. All but one had the “all you can eat” buffet. The buffet was good, the starters section varied, main course section about ten different dishes to choose from with rice/noodles as you wanted. Sweet section different ice creams, a couple of cake deserts and fresh fruit.
The restaurant was completely full, with a constant line of people waiting to come in ( maybe good to book on a Saturday eve). As such the buffet area became a bit of a free for all with quite a wait at times. Also and im guessing it was because of the volume of customers a lot of the dishes were empty at times, simply down to demand!
Staff did a brilliant job and worked really hard. Didn’t get drinks served at the table had to go to the bar, reasonably priced
Little gripe, I sat in a draught all eveniing
Buffet for the two of us came to £ 21.90+ drinks for four £ 12ish