“"Just what we were looking for"” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   12 Regent Terrace, Penzance TR18 4DW, England   |
Ranked #10 of 88 Penzance B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Berlin
“"Just what we were looking for"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Camila House was exactly the accommodation we were looking for. The room was immaculate and everything we desired was provided. The breakfast was lovely. It appears previous guests would agree; I rest my case. If you're looking for a place from which to explore the beautiful coasts of Cornwall then I'd say, make a reservation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed in Camilla House for three nights last September and it offered everything you need for a bed and breakfast establishment. The rooms were a little small if carrying lots of luggage but that's England. They were beautifully appointed, however. The guest lounge and dining areas were substantial and inviting. The breakfasts were an excellent quality and the owners were extremely helpful with local attractions. Camilla House was also well located for a short stroll to pubs, the shops and the seaside as well as a short drive to places like Land's End.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Truly lovely stay! This was a bit of a "peaceful harbour" for me before going on to a very old friend who is dying. And what a great choice I made! I had the single ensuite which, while very small, had everything I needed, including a great shower. I thought that, because it was on the ground floor near the staircase, it would be noisy, but it was heavenly quiet. I slept the best here in my 2 weeks in England.

Other guests chatted to me (single traveller) in the morning over breakfast: interesting to see how many of them always stayed here on their regular visits to Cornwall! Breakfast was a choice presented the night before: choice included a preferred time to eat. I prefer an early start ( 7:30 am) but that was NEVER an issue with Simon (the host). He made me feel comfortable by saying that it allowed him time to spread out his attention with later arising guests, too. What a considerate response! Gave us time to chat, too.

Both Simon and Susan made a point of being available to guests: explaining the basics of Penzance, where to eat and drink, and how to contact them (if they were away). Simon arranged a half-day tour for me when the weather was poor, altho I did hate to track in my muddy shoes at the end of the day out! Extremely welcoming and pleasant. As I NEVER travel with a computer, was very grateful for the internet access provided in the lounge. It allowed me to touch base with home before the next stages of my trip.

ONLY recommendation I could make for improvement would be to offer an even "lighter" light version of breakfast! Not a big breakfast eater, I was embarrassed not to be able to complete all of the lovely, fresh, local food served. The selection of local cheeses was an especially nice touch.

I deliberately did not go to all local attractions, as I would LOVE to return and be treated (again!) like royalty! Thanks to you both, for a much needed respite.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a "preferred" room: they're all lovely and inviting!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Southsea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were warmly welcomed when we arrived here for a weekend stay with friends. The guest house is tastefully decorated and rooms equipped to a very high standard, with even the provision of scissors with which to snip the ground coffee sachet for the cafetiere. Lots of local products used including Cornish shortbread. The view from our room was lovely and the rooms very quiet as the guest house is set well back from the main road. The bed was comfortable and curtains thick enough to make the room wonderfully dark. As a radio listener (rather than a telly watcher) I was delighted to have both Radio and TV stations on the TV, and a radio alarm clock that did not require me to have a technology degree to operate it!! Breakfast choice was good, again using local produce where possible though it would have been nice to have been able to have it a little later than 0900 on a Sunday but that's just us being lazy I guess.

• Stayed October 2012
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Simon and Susan are the most wonderful hosts. They are extremely helpful and accommodating. We went with our 2 year old daughter and had the most wonderful time. Susan spent a lot of time with us telling us the best places around and even helped plan our day

The sea views from the room are marvelous. The first floor rooms are slightly smaller though the view lying on the bed is far better as the large window is much closer to the bed than the one in the superior second floor rooms.

Breakfast is awesome. I cannot find a single thing that I can complain about.

Simon, Susan - keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are larger, but the rooms on the first floor have better view as window is larger and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Everöd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked 11 nights at Camilla House,Penzance. Been to Penzance quite a few times over the yeras and I've stayed in a few different guest houses over the years. When I arrived I was greeted by Susan,she was very friendly and was full of information on what to do in Penzance. I stayed in a single room on first floor with a magnificient view over Mount Bay, no ensuite, private toilet and shower upstairs. The room was reasonably big, very comfortable bed, very clean, nice fluffy towels (extra towels were in the shower, no need to bring the one in the bedroom), a bathrobe. When I go back (which I will) I will look for the same room again, it was very comfortable and the view makes it perfect. The breakfast was of the highest standard, served by Simon who was very friendly. I was always welcomed with a smile and a few friendly words.
In other words, I had a great time and I was very sorry to leave. Thank you Susan and Simon for making my visit to Penzance so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Pendower, if you are ok with no ensuite and having your private bathroom upstairs I ca...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hoylake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Arriving at Camilla house is a real pleasure -Susan and Simon go out of their way to ensure you are provided with a full orientation of Penzance with very useful suggestions about where to eat and where to visit. I had the ground floor single room which whilst small was perfect for my needs. The tea tray was well-stocked, a complementary btl of water & bowl of sweets -the icing on the cake. The small en-suite well planned with immediate and plentiful hot water & fluffy towels (A very small w.h.b. difficult to use). The breakfast choice was first class and the dining room beautifully decorated and very stylish. Camilla house is perfectly situated for exploring Penzance and they even have loan bikes again with suggestions and directions should you need them. Very much a top of the range B&B offering that bit extra - would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Camilla House? Share your experiences!