“You,ve got to go if you are in Cornwall” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 20 attractions in Penzance
Type: Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This open-air theatre is dramatically situated on the cliffs at Porthcumo, near Land's End, and hosts a season of plays and musicals from May to September.
Yateley, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“You,ve got to go if you are in Cornwall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This place is wonderful. At £9 per person/ticket it's such great value. You have a fantastic view of the sea whilst watching the play and if you're lucky you may even see a Basking Shark, seals or dolphins swimming past! The seats are uncomfortable to take something soft to sit on and as it's outside take a coat/something warm to wear - sun cream is useful if the sun is out (but we're talking about Cornwall here so not often a problem). We've taken our children from the age of 10, they love it and ask to go back every time we go to Cornwall. It's also worth arriving early to wander around the museum to find out how it was built. A special place to visit that is fantastic value for money.

• Polish first
Cornwall
“The Minack - a true review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Considering the title of this discussion is 'a review you can trust' I would ignore the one by 'Travelling Ozzie' below. The Minack Theatre is a must for anyone lucky enough to be visiting this wonderful part of the country. The staff go way beyond their call of duty to be helpful and friendly. I am a regular theatre goer and have always had an amazing time there I think Travelling Ozzie should let people get on with the jobs they are paid to do. If you want to use the toilet at the Minack and yo have not paid to go in there are adequate toilets at the top of the cap park as rightly pointed out by Crisy, otherwise, pay the admission fee like everyone else, contribute to gift aid, enjoy the views and the warm, friendly atmoshphere and have a thoroughly enjoyable day!

Visited July 2011
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Minack Theatre -breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Went with friends to see a production of Cyrano de Bergerac. The productioon was excellent, thoroughly enjoyed the performance and the staff were more than helpful. The scenery and the theatre itself was simply breathtaking.

yorkshire
9 attraction reviews
“Great location, wonderful experience but VERY rude staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We came to Minack more for the location and experience rather than the play itself. What a wonderful location! Truely beautiful. But massively lacking in the customer services department.
The cafe is frankly ridiculous. we had to wait fifteen minutes after we had queued for ten minutes to pay, for a soup just to be heated in the microwave. The serving staff were young girls with no concept of manners or politeness. This attitude was also present in the older members of staff who were somewhat abrupt. Not pleasant at all.
However, the play was worth the money (I think it was called 'A carnival of thieves?), acting was good and a very enjoyable performance.
If you travel by bus, be warned that there is no sign posting back to the bus stop (which is in a dark area of a car park). the route is fairly treacherous through dark winding country lanes with no lighting, so take a torch to be on the safe side. Also, take note of Minack's suggestion to take blankets, cushions and waterproofs - you really do need them! Also, save yourself the hassle of the cafe, and take your own food and drinks.

UK
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Site And Surrounds Spoiled By Staff Attitudes And Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Wow, what to say, this is a beautiful location and site which my fiancee and I have visited many times since arriving in England six years ago however it is let down and spoilt by its staff.

When we first discovered this site we had nothing but good things to say about it and as we have many overseas visitors, especially from Australia, we have returned time and again to take our visitors to this site from our base in London (quite a lengthy trip to Penzance!).

Unfortunately we made our last visit a few days ago, and it will be our last as we were so dismayed and appalled at the behavior of admissions staff member Chrisy.

After driving from London with our current visitors from Australia, my elderly parents, we arrived at the Minack Theatre. On this occasion as my partner and I had paid and seen the attraction many times we decided that instead of going in with my parents we would have a walk around the surrounding area and then if possible wait for them in the Minack Theatre coffee shop, browse the gift shop etc. First though, you guessed it, I needed the toilet.

Approaching the admissions counter we bought and paid for my parents tickets, I explained that we visited frequently but wouldn't be going in on this occasion and I politely asked if I could nip in to the toilet which is across from admissions, as I needed it quite urgently.

Shockingly Chrisy said no I couldn't it was for paying customers only, I tried again, I had brought yet more customers for them, on this occasion I wouldn't be entering the site but please I needed the toilet (to wee to be precise), even my parents were shocked. Again Chrisy would not allow it and instead told me I would have to go out to public toilets (not signposted) back across the carpark and out the otherside. I was very desperate at this stage and having had five operations in the last year and a half its not such a simple effort let alone that we have brought them many customers and were standing there with two more customers for them who wouldn't be there had we not spoke well of the place and brought them.

My elderly father then discreetly stuck his admissions sticker on me and told me to go to the toilet and he and my partner walked back outside of the building (we had not entered the site and were only in admissions area at this stage). My mother and I went to walk in and Chrisy appeared and snatched the sticker off me and said no it was my mother's sticker (which it wasn't). She was extremely rude and did this followed by making a scene in front of many other customers and at least two other staff embarrassing both my mother and myself as well as making a scene I wouldn't want any of my customers to see. I'm also not sure at which point she felt she had the right to touch me, a 32 year old woman either.

It was completely uncalled for and disgraceful behaviour, as a business owner myself I whilst I understand not letting random people in to use your facilities I expect staff to exercise a degree of common sense and discretion for a single person especially if they were bringing me custom as well. It was absolutely appalling to make such a scene and announce my need for a toilet in front of an admissions area full of customers and other staff as well as been poor not to merely say in the first instance duck in quick, don't be long and when you get back your parents can go into the site. She knew we had been there before in fact she even mentioned in whilst making the scene.

Anyway my partner and I had to walk back out to and across the car park looking for unsigned toilets, yes a bush at this stage was becoming quite a possibility which is atrocious that it got to that, desperate we saw a block of offices and were about to go in there to ask for their kindness in the circumstances when fortunately we saw the toilet at the back of the office area.

Meanwhile my parents had their visit spoilt, they skipped the gift and coffee shop, both of which they usually visit, as my father said when he returned to the car the site was completely spoilt and the visit ruined by the staff behavior, so poor for such a simple thing. My partner and myself also did not browse the gift shop or use the coffee shop, even more custom lost and four people going away with poor views on the place sharing with others, as well my partner and I will not go back nor be bringing visitors back to the site, such a shame.

The staff need some retraining to say the least.

Visited August 2011
Minackman93, Manager at Minack Theatre, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We are sorry that your visit was unsatisfactory.

Our policy to only permit paying customers access to our cafe and toilets is based on the fact that, once accessed, the visitor has unrestricted access to, and full view of the Theatre.

We regularly review the way in which we deal with customers who want to access the site without paying for whatever reason, and will do so again in the light of your comments. We do offer free admission for 12 months to all visitors, so regular customers only need to pay once a year.

We also provide public toilet facilities elsewhere on our site - we are reviewing the signage to this facility as we do appreciate it is not immediately obvious.