“Very good gastro pub” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Germany
“Very good gastro pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I liked the place very much, butbitbis more a restaurant than a pub. I guess the borders tend to blur a bit here. Very good fish dishes, good service.

Visited October 2013

Nuneaton
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We called in on a quiet weekday lunchtime looking for a meal to treat ourselves . We did !
I had Hake , (simply grilled with butter ,at my request ) and Ms had the homemade fish pie.
My fish was a large portion ,superbly cooked ,with new potatoes and seasonal veg (small extra cost as forewarned by the waitress ) I love Hake and this was the best .
The fish pie was freshly prepared and cooked to order . It was delicious ,and the portion so generous she couldn't quite finish it .
For dessert I had a beautiful homemade strawberry and almond merangue.
The beer and wine were both excellent.
Not cheap ,but for the meal we had and overall standard ,very good value for money.
I can see why it gets crowded in the evenings , so book up !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York
“Make sure you book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Don't just turn up,make sure you book a table and be on time - which is not a lot to ask.
The food is amazing, my husband had the lamb, he was advised it would be pink, he wanted it a little more done, this was no problem and the lamb was perfect, as were the accompanying veg and I had the whole lemon sole - fantastic, but the star of the show was my pudding - lime bavois with chocolate fondant, raspberries, peanut mousse, peanut brittle and lime dust - possibly the most amazing dessert I have ever eaten. We had a time issue and explained this and it was no problem at all, the staff were lovely and very accommodating. I would forgive the chef anything for that pudding.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Bikers on tour - Friday Night.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Four aging bikers in Penzance for the weekend - arrived on Friday evening in a torrential downpour, wet and hungry our B&B owner recomended the Navy Inn (and others) for our first forray into town for a meal. For me the Scallops to start followed by Lemon Sole were my extravgance for the weekend and were excellent, my colleagues steaks were not so good and rather tough, "had better at Weatherspoons" was the comment (a bit harsh maybe!!)
Prices are on the high side but well advertised so you know what you're paying, be aware that what you read is what you get, vegetables etc are all extras!! (due to history of waste apparently!!)
Front of house staff are very friendly and our waitress was brilliant, can't comment on the kitchen as other people have.
Nice place but probably not for our biking weekend plan of beer and jokes - would return for the fish and pleasant ladies fronting the bar and restaurant. :)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Fresh fish, really well cooked and presented.
Not cheap (not really expensive though), but the quality and quantity really worth the price
Really nice and lovely waitresses

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere