“My second review of the Navy Inn and unfortunately not so complimentary” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Navy Inn

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Surrey
“My second review of the Navy Inn and unfortunately not so complimentary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were there last Sunday evening because I was hoping to get a Sunday roast which I had enjoyed there on 2 previous occasions.

Unfortunately, we were told that that the roasts were only served at lunchtime, so we took the menu and set about picking something else. We asked if we could have a shared starter whilst we deliberated and was told by the waitress that the chef would only accept an order for starter if ordered the main course at the same time. When we looked a little surprised, she went off to check and came back and said that the chef was willing to serve us.

My husband ordered venison casserole which was fine I opted for pork fillet but wanted to change the mash potatoes for chips. This request was refused even though there was chips on the menu as a side order.

I didn't want the mushrooms (what makes you think I am picky?) and asked that they were replaced with a few green vegetables. This request was also refused - the mushrooms were removed, but we had to pay for the side order of veg.

The food was not as good as I remembered and we wished that we had gone to The Dolphin or
The Dock where my little foibles are always catered for.

I think that the fact that there were only 2 other tables occupied is testament to The Navy being so unaccommodating, because the food is actually OK. Shame about the service!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Truro, United Kingdom
“Hurrendous service of the man behind the bar!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have just read the review of the one dated 28th Feb and had exactly the same experience. There was 7 us and 4 wanted to order dinner and a couple just wanted a plate of chips, we were told in no uncertain terms the chef would not do chips alone for a main course...what??? Well we ordered some anyway, from the very nice waitress. When the food came out and we put the chips in the middle of the table, the barman had the nerve to practially shout at us that no one could eat the chips other than the ones eating dinner. What his problem was I don't know but you can be sure will NEVER be returning!!! And will be spreading the word. Its not as if it was busy, it was us and one other couple all night, we had intended to have another round, but definitely not after that. He continued to give us attitude.
If he was the landlord, well business isn't going to be good. If he as just a barman - to the landlord, if you read this perhaps you should have a word or better still get rid. Having worked in the restaurant trade for several years I would have been utterly appauled at any of my staff behaving like this over a bowl of chips. You never know who your customers are, what they do or what they are going through. Conversely the food itself was good, but soured by the attitude. Terrible experience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Superb food. Would recommend anyone with a discerning taste for quality food to eat here. All local produce including very fresh fish from Newlyn. Ideal place to celebrate an important event like an anniversary. Very good beer,cider and excellent selection of wines and spirits.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food. Abominable service upon our return visit... Check who is behind the bar before committing. DO NOT TRY TO SHARE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and a friend and I had a marvellous meal at The Navy Inn on Monday evening, February 25, 2013. The chap behind the bar was polite and cheerful and the young Italian server was delightful. The food was superb... All told we spent £75 and were very pleased. We liked the dinner so much that we returned on Tuesday evening hoping to repeat our experience of the previous evening. Unfortunately, the fellow behind the bar was no where near as welcoming but we were more interested in the food so were not, initially, put off by him. We looked at the menu and decided what we wanted to order.

My wife and her friend were not as hungry as they had been the night before. When the server arrived, they ordered two soups. I had raved about the scallops so they decided to order that dish and split it. The fellow behind the bar was obviously listening in as very quickly he quite loudly and rudely said that they could not split a main course. The way he said it sounded abrasive and immediately irritated us. The result of that behaviour and his complete unwillingness to work with prospective repeat customers was so annoying that we left. We went to another restaurant and spent a similar amount. In addition to the complete lack of explanation for his decision, the behaviour of this person cost the Inn three previously very satisfied customers. It seemed even more absurd when we observed that at 7:00 pm there was one person at the bar and one couple having dinner.

A sad story...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Esentepe
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Eaten there on a fewoccassions and found the food excellent. Well presented but a tadge on the small side portions. Good variety of choices on the menu that change on a regular basis.

• Visited November 2012