“Fantastic!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cornerways Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penzance
Cornerways Guest House
You added Cornerways Guest House to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   5 Leskinnick Street, Penzance TR18 2HA, England   |
Ranked #10 of 91 Penzance B&B and Inns
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great location - Less than 5 minutes walk from the station, harbour, main bus station
Friendly service - Matt's hospitality throughout the stay was top class (Travel tips, restaurant tips and even Easter Eggs)
Value for Money - 35 pounds per night including breakfast - it cannot get better than that
Fantastic Rooms - clean, spacious, well-stocked with complimentary toiletries and eatables, and with functional appliances
Superb Breakfast - timely, vegetarian options, variety and most importantly, tastes great

If I go to Penzance again, I would not bother searching for other places to stay...Cornerways would be a first choice without a doubt. It sets extremely high standards for a guest house.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so very much indeed for your lovely comment. I am more than glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Be assured that it was such a great pleasure to have you and your friends here as our guests. It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back to Cornerways one day. All the best to you and your friends.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

On a cold and bleak december evening, and just a minute or 2 away from Penzance rail station, Matt gave us a very warm welcome at a very cosy place. We've not stayed at a B& B for a while, but this place was very pleasant surprise. Its very clean and the breakfasts were great. Matt was a pleasure to talk with too. We would recommend it to anyone.

The only very small downside was that we assumed check out was at 12, but we were wrong. (apparently it was in the T's and C's and also on the back of the door on a sign that it was 10am...but the sign was covered when we put our coat on a hanger by the sign). So anyway, at 10 am the cleaner asked us to leave asap, although she did say we had time to shower and pack. It was just the manner it was said that seemed a bit unnecessary. We were also a bit surprised about Matt's seemingly unnecessary tone when, shortly after agreeing to pack asap, we asked for a simple replacement of an item in the bathroom. It was as if the combination of getting the leaving time wrong and the request made him feel we were somehow trying to take advantage. His tone completely changed. I wouldnt let this put you off, and would still recommend it...but just dont sway from the rules.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the room on the front of street as there was quite a bit of noise from folks coming bac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and for recommending Cornerways Guest House. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay - and talking to you and your wife was my pleasure, too.
I am very sorry that there were some misunderstandings. Regarding our check-out time: In our booking confirmation we let you know that you were booked in until 'after breakfast' on the day of your departure. Our check-out time is 60 minutes after breakfast. You are absolutely right, our check-out time is also stated on a sign attached to the doors of our bedrooms. 12 o'clock as a regular check-out time without any prior arrangement is very rare in this country. About 15 minutes after check-out time our staff was surprised to realise that you had obviously gone back to bed. We would have been happy to arrange a late check-out in advance which we always do subject to availability. On arrival, we provide complimentary teas, a selection of herbal infusions, coffee etc. and biscuits which we happily replace on a daily basis. On arrival, we also provide complimentary soap, shower gel, body lotion, a grooming kit and a shoeshine kit. I am so sorry that you had the impression that I changed my tone trying to explain 35 minutes after check-out that the soap you asked for was usually provided on arrival but we would provide more soap anyway. You turned your back and left. My staff was a bit surprised to find more than half of the soap we had provided in your bathroom after your departure. Later I apologised for any inconvenience caused by the most regrettable misunderstanding regarding check-out time and offered you to leave your luggage until the departure of your train.
I hope that trying to explain the misunderstandings between us has helped a bit. I do remember you as friendly and lovely guests and we would be happy to accommodate you again in the near future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Cornerways met and in fact far exceeded my expectations which had been generated by the description on its website. As a guest house it sets a very high standard. I spent three nights there at the end of September. Its location really was only a three minute walk from the coach and train station on a quiet side street. Absolutely ideal for me as I arrived by train from Paddington and departed again on the Sleeper Late Night Train. I did various excursions each day by both coach and train.

The unusual shaped room and en suite shower and toilet were spotless. Nothing was stinted with regard to amenities. Not simply tea or coffee but also hot chocolate and biscuits. The attention to detail regarding a guest’s comfort included useful additional wall hooks, ample drawer space, and a boot /shoe tray.

I was a first time visitor to Cornwall and really appreciated in the room the enormous selection of sightseeing brochures on famous attractions plus a local bus and rail timetable.
Breakfast was delicious. Actually far more than just a standard English cooked breakfast was available.
Matt who owns Cornerways combined a very professional standard of service with a friendliness and a genuine personal interest in making sure this overseas visitor enjoyed her stay not only in Penzance, but gave suggestions on day excursions and how to see more of Cornwall in the three days.
Cornerways was perfect for my needs, I wish I had been able to stay longer..

G. Pilkington

Room Tip: There are only four rooms - and judging from conversation with other guests at breakfast - all rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so very much for your review. We at Cornerways are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to be part of your holidays in Cornwall. We would be more than delighted to welcome you to Cornerways again. All the best to you.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had a very enjoyable stay at Cornerways. The location was ideal as I arrived in Penzance by train and the guest house is less than 2 minutes away on foot. It is also a very short walk to the main shopping street.

The room was clean and comfortable and had a few nice touches such as complimentary toiletries and artwork chosen by the owner, Matt Martens.

The breakfast was great, as Matt uses local produce and you can really taste the difference. There were daily specials so I had a variety during the few days I was there.

As a convenient base camp from which to explore this part of Cornwall, I could not have made a better choice. I will certainly be returning to Cornerways again next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We are more than glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back later this year very much indeed.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Cornerways was my first stop on my 500 mile cycle ride for Leukaemia. Matt, the owner was very accommodating with a late check in, provided somewhere for me to store my bike, helped me with an evening snack and to get comfortable quickly for a great nights sleep. Breakfast was phenomenal! Great value for money and a quaint building!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and our little snack on arrival. We would love to welcome you again one day.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at cornerways for 3 nights in a lovely twin bedroom. The place is litrerally 2 mins walk from the station, but still in a very quiet and nice location. Matt Martens is a fantastic host and an even better cook. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so very much for your lovely comment. It was a great pleasure to have you here and we are very glad that we were part of your holidays in Cornwall. I do look forward to welcoming you again. All the best to the two of you.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I found the Corneyways to be a wonderful place to stay and would highly recommend it to anyone. The owner and staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was faultless and a wonderful start to the day. Nothing was too much trouble, even down to putting out my favourite homemade jam ready for my breakfast.

The place was ideally situated to the train station and town centre and was spottlessly clean and reasonably priced

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so very much indeed for your review and for the lovely card you sent to me and my staff after your stay. We remember you as a most lovely guest and we would be more than delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Cornerways Guest House? Share your experiences!