“Why would you stay anywhere else in Newquay?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trebarwith Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Trebarwith Hotel to your Saves list
Trebarwith Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great Western Beach | Trebarwith Cresent, Newquay TR7 1BZ , England   |
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Why would you stay anywhere else in Newquay?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

It's impossible to believe that the reviewer 'impossible' stayed in the same Trebarwith Hotel as my wife and I have just visited. We enjoyed being looked after by friendly, helpful, chatty staff. We ate great, hearty breakfasts, steak dinner specials with succulent, juicy and tender steaks with wine included that were extraordinary value. Then there are the views to die for and your own private access to the beach as well as an indoor pool and sauna. It's all looked after by the delightful Jane and Nigel who seem to work tirelessly for their guests both front of house and behind the scenes. If you're looking for 'the place to stay in Newquay' look no further than the Trebarwith.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

As a family we have stayed at the Trebarwith on around 10 occassions over the last 14 years, and we have not yet found anything that comes close to this one for being able to accomodate our needs and at the same offering good accomodation, facilities, food, location and service. The owners (Nigel and Jane) and their staff have bent over backwards to make our stays extremely enjoyable. We have had occassions when a member of our family has been taken ill and needed hospital treatment, and the way the hotel helped us during these times was second to none.

Okay, due to the hotels location, car parking is limited, and not everyone parks in a common sense way, but with cooperation from both staff and guests, we have never had any problems. I have even seen Nigel organising cars and moving benches to make room for guests vehicles.

We have seen every year we return that there has money ploughed back into the hotel during the closed season to keep the rooms and building up to standard.

I have a 15 year old Son, and 11 year old Daughter, who have been given the choice of finding another holiday destination, or going back to the Trabarwith, and to say that we have booked again for next year I think speaks volumes for their opinion.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone although I do hope that people leave enough rooms free for us.

Room Tip: Rooms over the car park have the best sea views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Trebarwith, Owner at Trebarwith Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi, Thanks for your kind support and great Review.
without wishing to sound 'arrogant' we really cannot please everyone all of the time but try to please most of them. Thank fully 99.9% of our guests are a pleasure to serve.
Thanks again looking forward to seeing you, Dragons and kids next year!
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Despite some mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, I was seduced by the reports of the ideal location and wonderful views from the hotel, so decided to book a long weekend. Indeed, the hotel is well located in Newquay, is well appointed, and the views from the our room were lovely. However,there were a number of issues during our short stay which, in isolation, may seem trivial but, lumped together, contributed to a very disappointing stay. I 'e' mailed the hotel to register my concerns regarding their customer service but, perhaps a true reflection of their attitude towards unhappy customers, they haven't had the decency to respond!

During our stay I did personally approach the owners and a number of other staff members regarding my concerns but was met with a "what do you expect me to do" attitude. On two occasions I spoke to Jane and, again, to Nigel (the owners) about the lack of car parking caused by inconsiderate drivers taking up two spaces. On both occasions I was informed that this always happens and there was nothing they could do about it. Cars registration numbers are recorded on checking in - a quick phone call could solve the problem!

At breakfast on our first morning I was publicly and rudely rebuked by a waitress for sitting at a table that had been allocated to someone else. I have not come across this unusual practice before and, as there was nobody around to explain the procedure, I just took a seat. What a naughty boy I was! The restaurant was full of a large coach party of German tourists who were in the process of eating. Our breakfast was of a very low standard and I felt we were being served their leftovers. From the menu, the "freshly baked" croissants were lifeless and looked as though they had just come out of a packet and the "fresh fruit" had obviously come out of a can. Indeed, there was nothing "fresh" about the cooked element of the breakfast. My two poached eggs were hard and rubbery, as was the bacon, and the shriveled sausage seemed to be of a cheap supermarket quality. All had obviously been sitting on a hotplate for some time. As a consequence of our breakfast experience, we decided to eat dinner elsewhere.

Our experiences in the hotel bar were no different. Shortly after arrival, I asked for a glass of dry white wine, only to be told by the rude bartender that she was a (non-drinking) receptionist who was required to stand-in, and she didn't have a clue about the drinks she was required to serve. This was not the only time I was served by a receptionist (the big lady featured in other Trip Advisor reviews) and I would question the practice of using untrained staff to cover bar duties. On more than one occasion, despite being included on the drinks list, my choice was not available and the hotel did not bother to replenish. There are other instances of poor customer service.

This is a nicely furnished hotel in a lovely location but it is being let down by instances of poor customer service and rudeness from some members of staff. I have stayed in a large number of hotels and B & Bs this summer where the standard of accommodation and food has been very high, at a cost far less than that I paid at Trebarwith. £120 per room per night (low season) does not represent good value for money and I would not stay there again or recommend it.

Room Tip: Book a sea-view room at extra cost. Room 29 has a lovely view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Trebarwith, Owner at Trebarwith Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks for your Review which does not surprise me.
We find nice people, fair people, reasonable people leave nice Reviews for which we are grateful.
I did you e-mail you 7/10/ 13 in reply to your e-mail to me, suggest you check your spam folder, I have resent it for your reference.
Your comments are unreasonable and unfair and why bother giving us 3 blobs why not 1?
You can go into any hotel and pick holes in it if that is your thing, thankfully it won't be us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Absolutely loved our stay here at the Trebarwith. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfasts were delicious, and the view out of our room was just to die for! Loved the sound of the sea at night! The location was great - 2 minute walk from the shops, cafes etc. All in all a lovely, comfortable stay, can't wait to come back next year! Thankyou :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much, very nice of you to leave a nice Review.
We forward to seeing you back here when you can make it.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

What a fabulous location, situated at the top of a cliff overlooking the beach. An absolutely stunning view. Gill never grew tired of watching the sea. Admittedly we had the room with the best view.

The staff were outstanding and the owners, Nigel and Jane did all they could to ensure our stay will be remembered by us for years to come.

Would we come back again? Definitely!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HI, thanks for a great Review, lovely to see you both enjoy your holiday and absolute pleasure to welcome you here as always.
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

a really good location for getting around Newquay and easy walk from the train or bus station. A nice 3 star hotel with good views of the ocean, pleasant accommofations and really nice staff. Had dinner the 1st night there, steak ( rib eye) for 2 with wine at a good price but the steaks were a bit tough. Buffet breakfast was fine for most travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The breakfast was lovely and the staff were very kind. However our room was very dated. It also backed onto a very loud and busy footpath leading from Newquay town centre to a residential area. We were treated to Newquay's finest between the hours of 12- 5 am on both nights. We had the joys of couples arguing, drunkards singing and hen parties puking. The Kitchens were also underneath our room. So from 6am onwards we could hear the busy prep for breakfast. I think this room is more suited as a staff quarter then for guests (including LivingSocial guests!). It is a real shame as the hotel itself was very sweet and the staff lovely.

Room Tip: Avoid room 24 like the plague!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Trebarwith, Owner at Trebarwith Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hi, thanks for your review and positive comments. Sorry you didn't like room 24 one of our budget rooms which although is due now for refurbishment is still at £17.50 per night inc breakfast and v.a.t. reasonable value. Some of our guests opt to upgrade to seaview for a nominal charge.
I think its fair to say the room is spacious, clean with everything working and being triple glazed should be quiet with the window closed.
Sorry also for the behaviour of the general public and other wildlife outside the hotel on the rear walkway unfortunately Human Rights Act says we are not allowed to shoot them!

Been to Trebarwith Hotel? Share your experiences!