“Brilliant - If your over 60!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Sandy Lodge Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6-12 Hilgrove Road, Newquay TR7 2QY, England   |
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Brilliant - If your over 60!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Guys, this hotel has a clear target market and caters to them brilliantly... We are a couple in our mid twenties and booked a cheap dinner bed and breakfast deal from travel zoo or similar, without much prior research.

Evening meal was ok, Breakfast very good.... Service in restaurant and reception brilliant!!!
Would we stay here again No, but that's cause we are not retired.... It's bingo and dancing every evening and we saw no-one else under the age of 60 staying there, Don't let this put you off too much cause its a good location and rooms are clean and comfy.
Walls are perhaps a bit thin but with the old dears you only get limited noise.
Hotel is doing a good job of what they do well its just not for us, Thanks

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a place to crash after a good day on the beach, you might enjoy this place. The room was not that big, but it wasn't tiny. It is extremelly well located, right next to the beach and to the city center. It is like 10 minutes walking to the center and 5 minutes or less to the beach. Please notice that is an old place and it is a lodge, so it is really good for the price paid (through wowcher). Next time we will look for a more modern place, but this would do the trick.

• Stayed July 2013
chelseaboy1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Myself and my wife have just returned from a weekend break at Sandy Lodge and had a fantastic time the Hotel is situated about 5 min walk from the town centre and beaches,the rooms were very clean and tidy and the standard of the food was exceptional,the staff were very very friendly and help full
,the zoo is about 10 min walk from the hotel and a staff member even offered to give us a lift there,all in all we had a brilliant weekend break and very cheap as well.WE WILL CERTAINLY BE RETURNING,Thank you all at the Sandy Lodge Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good but we stayed in room 218 very nice indeed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rojales, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Don't ever accept room 117 - there is a large extractor immediately outside the room that comes on at around 6 am every morning. The room was cramped & not at all suitable for accommodation. Food however was excellent - shame the rest let it down. I would rather pay more for a better place to stay for a week.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Me and my friends went away for the weekend, and this hotel was brilliant, you certainly can't complain about the price it was £30 a night per room per person, it is basic but for that amount of money it's not going to be 5*. The walk to the centre isn't far at all specially on a lovely day. I will say though this hotel is targeting the much older generation but really do welcome young people. They also have a pool, jacuzzi and sauna which is great.

• Stayed July 2013
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed from 29th June to 1st July 2013, and we used a deal through wowcher. The decor throughout the hotel was very tired and could do with updating. Our room was quite big with a balcony, but again it was in need of re-decorating. There are a lot of coach trips to this hotel, and my partner and I felt the whole atmosphere of the hotel was not aimed at the younger guest (we are in our early thirties). We only had breakfasts which were o.k. and the staff were friendly enough. We did not participate in any of the entertainment, as we are usually out all day until late when on holiday, but again it was aimed at the older guest anyway. The overall stay was o.k. but I don't think we would stay here again, and definitely would not pay full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

After booking a room for the night last minute my work colleague and I were pleasantly surprised at what we got for our money. The room was fine, small and basic but everything you would expect from a 3 star hotel. However, when calling reception from our room asking to book us a taxi I have never been spoken to so rudely. Fully aware that we were staying in a 3 star not 5 star or higher I did not think it was an unreasonable request to call reception and ask for a taxi to be booked (maybe I was wrong?). After being criticised by where we wanted to be picked up from (Tesco Express literally 30 seconds around the corner, an issue because it was on the main road, despite having a car park, 'Tracey' had apparently become a specialist in the Taxi industry and felt the need to tell me where I could and couldn’t be picked up from). Anyway, she booked the Taxi, we left to go and get our Taxi, 15 minutes after we were supposed to be picked up I called the company and they had no booking, I booked one myself. I then called Tracey and asked what had happened, a little miffed but keeping my cool. She then proceeded to tell me "I’m not here to wait on you hand a foot", "You didn’t come and ask me if I had booked it", "If you have a problem with the Taxi why don’t you just get up and walk" along with many other insulting comments and general aggressive and disgusting attitude before hanging up on me. She also told me a different company had been used and they were picking me up from outside the hotel, that they were there waiting now, of which was a complete lie, as I said Tesco Express was seconds away and you could clearly see the hotel car park, no surprise that there wasn’t a Taxi waiting. I decided to walk back to the hotel to continue our conversation - maybe I shouldn’t have but as a paying customer I wanted to complain to management. Returning back to reception I asked “Hi, are you Tracey" to which her response was "Yes and I can guess who are.". After trying to resolve the problem I gave up, I was talking to a brick wall with serious attitude and communication issues, unfortunately she told me there was no Management on duty at that time so there wasn’t a lot I could do. Tracey obviously isn’t a people person and would benefit from changing her career, maybe a late night shelf stacker in Tesco?

On the plus side, I now have a new name for grumpy people in life – Tracey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Sandy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I am obviously dismayed at receiving such a negative review as it has been almost 2 years since we've had such a low scoring review on Trip Advisor,Tracy gives a cdifferent account of the events described in your review around the booking of your taxi, she has worked for us for over 5 years and is well liked by colleagues and guests alike. From 1407 customer feedback forms completed over the last 2 years the hotel has a quality score of 90.3% for staff helpfulness (>4.5 out of 5) which is also endorsed by the majority of trip advisor reviews of the hotel, which in general have an opposite view to yours when commenting on the frienliness and helpfulness of our staff.

Been to Sandy Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!