“Lovely small zoo but pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 55 things to do in Newquay
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in lush sub-tropical gardens, Newquay Zoo is home to more than 1,000 of the world's rare and exciting creatures. Just a short walk from Newquay's town centre and world famous surfing beaches, the Zoo is both one of Cornwall's most exciting visitor attractions and a leading conservation charity. It's the only place in Cornwall where you can see lions devour their lunch before taking a leisurely stroll through a tropical rainforest, surrounded by free flying birds. Keeper talks and animal feeds take place throughout the day but if you fancy an even closer animal encounter we offer visitors the chance to meet and feed our cheeky lemurs, friendly penguins and impossibly cute meerkats! See wildebeest, waterbuck, nyala antelope and zebra roaming in our African Savannah and enjoy some familiar faces in The Village Farm - one of our most popular exhibits which includes many children's favourites such as pot-bellied pigs, African pygmy goats, turkeys and striped squirrels. And if all that isn't enough to keep the kids amused, we also have activity trails, face painting, a children's play area, dragon maze...and much more. Besides enjoying a great family day out, when you visit Newquay Zoo you'll also be supporting our vital education, research and conservation work, all designed to protect endangered animals from extinction. We're playing a key role in the international effort to save animals through conservation breeding.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Lovely small zoo but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed another visit to Newquay zoo. It is a well kept, attractive zoo and has lovely interesting animals. We, as a family, especially loved the babies otters this time (so cute!)
There are always new things and zoos are expensive to run but I do think the pricing policy is going a bit mad. Firstly as a family with 3 children I am always irritated by 2+2 family tickets. We had our niece with us as well so a family ticket plus 2 children added up. On the last 2 visits we have been charged gift aid without being asked and had to be reimbursed (holding up the queue). Then inside I object strongly to potential additional costs for feeding the animals such as 50p a fish for the penguins and £1 for the meerkats. It is no fun as parents paying £50 to get in to then have your children pester you for more money on and off during your visit.
I would say though that the cafes are not badly priced if a limited choice although we always take a picnic and just buy coffee (£1.75 for Americano).
Well worth a visit though and we spent 3-4 hours there on a cold but sunny day with plenty of animals to see.

4 attraction reviews
“Smaller zoo with some good and bad points. I really like it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a zoo designed for conservation. The areas for each animal look like they were given some thought to stave off boredom. Agree that the lions need more room, but everything looked healthy. Worth giving money to help in the fight agains animal extinction. Try not to get too frustrated if you don't see everything that might be sleeping or hiding when you go by. Better to get the return in 7 day ticket and try again another day.

Visited March 2013
“Naughty monkeys”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Zoo was great and much larger than I thought it would be! The monkeys were my favourite and very cheeky! Lots to buy in the shop! However I did think that some exhibits such as the lions were a little small for their size.

London, United Kingdom
“I had never seen a stressed penguin before visiting Newquay Zoo”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My partner and I decided to travel to this zoo after picking up a leaflet in a train station, apparently it is the biggest zoo in Cornwall. Well, I'd hate to see the size of the other zoos, for this one is certainly a disgrace.
The first thing I picked up on is the strange use of space: monkey island is just that - however, if they were to remove the unnecessary pond, the monkeys would have room for an enclosure that suits their needs, instead of being restricted to a rabbit hutch size enclosure.
Secondly, their lack of enrichment facilities in the animal enclosures is surprising. An information notice on one of the enclosures read that the particular big cat housed in there was an excellent swimmer, and swims frequently in its natural environment. Despite this, there was only a puddle of water in the enclosure. Failing that, one would think that they would provide something for the cat to climb on - levels for it to sit, etc. No.
The moose appeared to be living on an abandoned football pitch (which was three times the size of the lion enclosure), the zebra was roaming around on concrete. I did notice there was a small tree in the zebra house, but with a wooden gate around it - so I can only assume it was there for decoration. Other than that, it was bare.
What can I say for the lions, other than viewing them in such an enclosure was incredibly depressing. They didn't look particularly healthy either - sad looking creatures.
Now to the Humboldt penguins. Their enclosure was dank and dishevelled, and to my disgust, one of the penguins was pacing up and down repeatedly. My original thought was that it was near feeding time, however, 40 minutes later I returned to find it in the same place, still pacing and very distressed.
I had expected to stay for a few hours, but I was so disgusted by the inconsideration of the welfare of these animals I decided to leave. Surely, nothing else could surprise me?
I had seen the red panda earlier on in the day, sleeping in its tree. Walking down the path, I spotted it awake - but not in its enclosure. It was in a tree near the picnic area, a toddler grabbing the trunk and screeching at it. I ran over to its proper enclosure - there was no way it could have escaped, someone from the zoo had just plucked it from its enclosure for the amusement of the numerous toddlers running around. It was also not under any supervision - no members of staff were around the area, and it was only a few metres from the screaming toddlers below. I'm pretty certain that's not evocative of its natural environment.
I also spotted an animal centimetres away from touching an electric fence - it had jumped from its normal living area onto the border of the zoo and was trying to climb out.
All in all, this 'zoo' appears to cater more for the screaming and bawling toddlers that visit than for the animals which actually live in it. Sadly, it must obviously meet the minimum requirements as I have recently seen a number of positive reviews for this pit, which I find ridiculous.

If you want a zoo which does its best to balance the happiness of both the animals and visitors, I'd recommend Howletts and London Zoo, which deserve their praise.

Visited March 2013
wales
20 attraction reviews
“What a waste of money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Visited the zoo on a very cold Easter Sunday. We paid £36 for a family ticket and we were around it all in an hour! A lot of the animal cages/enclosures were empty...I think it was too cold for them to come out. The children were quite upset at the ripped opened rabbits covered in blood in some of the enclosures! This "zoo" is very small, I would describe it as an animal park and everything feels tired perhaps it's more suited to families with toddlers who could stretch it out a bit longer. Overall poor and represented terrible value for money I wouldn't recommend it.