“great fun - you make your own holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
You added Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park to your Saves list
Near Newquay | Cornwall, Newquay, England   |
Ranked #44 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“great fun - you make your own holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Good gosh; some of the dross that I read on here compelled me to write this! I do wonder why some people go on holiday... We were 2adults+ 4 children (2 were 15) so a real breadth of ages. Our caravan was absolutely fine for what we needed it for: a base when we weren't body boarding. Our info from the helpdesk was great and we were straight in.
Facility-wise, it had everything we needed. When returning from a long day on the beach, we nipped in to dry towels in the dryers with our old-Skool 20p pieces and it was a wonderful asset! We went in the clubhouse for a few nights and ate: POSITIVE OPINION ALERT: we found the food great value for money and super sizes for us all, so totally opposite to another rant I read on here. They were incredibly busy, however, so I would suggest you time it well if you have littlies as we have. The entertainment was what I expected, so you can take or leave it. The jubilee was our theme, so we had a good laugh, but THAT part is how you take it on, of course - and as one reviewer wrote: "we don't do THAT sort of thing"..... Oh dear
On the nights we weren't in, we couldn't hear anything and we were relatively closeby. All the 'leavers' were very respectable and we never heard a peep from revellers..... you are on a campsite with entertainment!!
The beach was a massive attraction for us and we weren't disappointed. I read someone's review that was bemoaning the 'sharp stones' and shells ?!? Well, with the swell up, waves peaking, awesomely fun sand dunes and sun around, i would have to be picking holes to highlight that. What I would say is that for families with very small children, you don't even need to go near the sea, as it comes to you in the form of a steady inlet, so plenty of families were camped round this, as did we, for our smaller ones to frolic whilst the teenagers went for the hardcore wave; brilliant.
So, in summary, it was brilliant because we made it great, but as a base it had everything we needed as a positive family. We are going back for August bank holiday and it may be different. The gravy might not be warm, the shells may chafe my toes, the 5 mins walk to the beach with the body board bag may just feel too far.........but we'll give it a go!
Finally: Anne's cottage (I think) near Newquay airport was amazing for surfing stuff.....look out for the spitfire!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Booked here on a sun holiday and after reading some of the reviews and I was a bit worried about the condition of the caravan we were going to end up with. When we arrived we were allocated van 85 which was only a short distance from the shop, clubhouse and kids play area. It had been raining prior to our arrival and the grassed area was all cut up from previous cars trying to park and really muddy. The parking areas could do with being gravel to avoid this but this was only a minor issue. When we opened the van it was very clean and tidy, the bedrooms were clean and the only mould that I found was on the back of the bathroom curtains. This didn't bother us though as it was only a small bit and the only bit. The caravan had heating throughout which was also a concern prior to arriving as we have a 17 month old and I was relieved when we got there.

We attended the children's entertainment most evenings and must say that the two girls did an absolutely superb job at keeping my two children entertained for the couple of hours we were there. Our caravan was also positioned far enough away that we had no problem with loud music from the club house late at night.

We also used he outdoor pool which wasn't very warm considering it was meant to be heated however my son enjoyed it.

We ate out most days and nights and can recommend the local pubs as the food was superb. On our last night we decided to eat in the onsite restaurant. What a mistake that was. My wife had the tuna steak salad which she said was ok, my son had the spaghetti bolognaise where we found a lump of plastic packaging in the food, my daughter had the breaded chicken and smiley potatoes which seemed ok and I had the steak and ribs. The steak was cooked as I asked but as I took a bite into the ribs they were still frozen. I informed the waitress who took away the plate and returned it no more than 90 seconds later wih the whole food steaming hot. When I asked if it had been put in the microwave she stuttered and tried to make out she diddnt know however she was in the kitchen the whole 90 seconds. Whilst she was still at the table I cut the steak which was meant to be medium rare and it was cooked right through and tough to cut so I told her that I wanted a fresh meal and not one that had been microwaved. With this she picked the plate up and went off in a huff, carrying the piece of plastic which I had told her was found in my sons meal wih not even as much as an apology. 10 mins later a boy brought a fresh meal out, was extremely friendly and polite and couldn't apologise enough, the exact opposite to the waitress with an attitude. The meal was hot this time with the steak cooked to perfection however the whole dining experience had been tainted by his point.

Holywell bay is a beautiful place wih a stunning beach ideal for surfers and swimmers. The Holywell bay fun park just up the road from the holiday park was also a great day out which we all thoroughly enjoyed.

Overall I would definately return to Holywell bay holiday park however I won't be eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just got back from a great week at Holywell Bay, nr Newquay. As titled, this review refers to the touring park (adjacent to the statics) so there are no horror stories about dirty caravans, insect infestation, etc, etc, so here we go.......
Arrival:
when you arrive, follow the road around to the left at the bottom of the hill. There is a sign at the bottom of the hill that indicates that new arrivals should turn right - dont!!! You won't be able to turn your caravan around without difficulty.
Check in:
Really simple and you get a clear map to indicate where you need to pitch.
Pitches:
Not the widest in the world but they are deep. This might be be something to consider when you choose which way to orientate your van/awning.
Pitch Facilities:
Electric points between every other pitch. Water and grey water waste points dotted around. Washing up block at one end and shower/toilet block at the other. Never had a problem getting a free shower cubicle at any point during the day but it was noticeably busier on the Friday evening between 5 and 7.
Club House:
Entertainment is clearly pitched for a certain demographic. Kids club followed by the Bingo brigade followed by local touring acts/in house entertainment certainly kept the club house busy with camping guests. Must say that the food was pretty good when we tried it. Could do with some different on tap lagers though.
On Site Shops:
Costcutter sold the usual food, drink and beach activities that you might expect to find on a site like this. Price wise, it wasn't ASDA and it wasn't Harrods - somewhere inbetween, depending on what you are purchasing. Probably better off getting groceries from the Morrisons on the way to Newquay, just a few miles up the road. The Morrisons also has a petrol station. There is also a surf shop on site where you can hire any kit you may need or lessons.
Beach:
The beach is a (realistic) 20 min walk from the touring pitches (with 6 yr old child, bucket/spade, bodyboard, packed lunch, etc) and is well worth the stroll. Follow the lane through the campsite until you reach the St. Pirans pub and take the short cut across the car park to reach the beach. There is an alternative route (right when you get to the pub, up the hill) which takes you past a couple of 'beach shops' to the beach but this is a more arduous journey. When you arrive at the beach you will find plenty of space and a choice of places to park yourself. The water was crystal clear when we were there and the waves werefun to bodyboard or just paddle in. There is a icecream/tea van on the beach along with a surf hire van.
Other Stuff:
The beach kept us busy for most of our week but we also went to 'Flambards' theme park (pretty good for a day out)

Overall:
Not a bad place to spend a week in July!!!!!!! Would we come again? Yes, probably would.

Gripes?
The only gripe we had, and I think we were a little unlucky with our pitch, was to do with some of our fellow campers. Why do people need to shout at their kids so much! They drag them 400 miles across the country and procede to spend the week telling them not to do 'stuff'. I use the term 'stuff' as it seemed that some of these kids couldn't do anything right. And why do these 'adults' need to talk with such volume?? The names 'Corben' and 'Caitlin' shouted out across the campsite in a Barnsley accent with the regularity of a metronome was reminisent of the YouTube clip of 'Fenton' being chased by it's owner across Richmond park. Funny, but you've got to feel for the kids.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here after getting a sun holidays deal making it very cheap. We initially stayed in one of the bungalows. They were far from the main hub so quiet, clean and modern. We were very pleased. Then we decided to stay a few more nights and the park did us a deal last minute (initially they wanted £340 for 4 nights!!!). We moved to caravan number 7 which was kitted out for disabled living. Had a good ramp and slide doors, wide access and shower with seat. However it was grubby, stunk of cigarette smoke and badly in need of a refurb. There was mould on the window and I didn't even want to sit on the sofa. If we intended on spending any time in the caravan I would have asked to be moved. Location is excellent to the beach although a drive to any local amenities (shops etc). Nice pub down the road (st pirans something) - great food. There's a surf school at the caravan site so you can hire from there and beach is huge although bit of a wind trap. Entertainment is pants, don't bother!

• Stayed July 2012
Nottinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Upon arrival to the site the views across Holywell Bay are gorgeous. The park is located between two huge hils so you have no chance of contacting anybody via mobile phone once on site, pro and a con I suppose! Check in etc was no fuss and we were at our caravan within minutes of arriving. The caravan itself was spotless and comfortable, one of the better ones I have stayed in, there were a couple of issues with the van, (broken toilet seat and one of the window locks was loose, but once reported we went out, came back and they had been fixed at our request - very speedy! The park was clean and tidy. I would consider staying again once my son is a little older so he can appreciate the beach there as it is lovely. OK, so now for the cons...we arrived past 4pm, and you know how it goes, once your unpacked where do you go for dinner? So we headed to the Ellenglaze restaurant for a bite to eat (security on the door so apparently you need to carry your passes everywhere). We ordered our food and asked for a highchair for my 13 month old, only to be told that in the whole entire restaurant/bar area for a family friendly site, they only had 2 highchairs, which I might add were nowhere to be seen. Frustrating. Then, the food was extremely mediocre and the salad looked like it had been pre chewed by caterpillas.... The ellenglaze also starts a party disco most nights at 10.45pm. Which again, for a family friendly site seemed extremely noisy and again frustrating as our son is usually in bed before then and I was constantly concerned he was going to be woken up by the pounding of the music. We were in a van not too far from the bar so it was preeeeeety loud. To be honest we spent more time down at The St Pirans Inn which was welcoming, confortable, had a MASSIVE stock of highchairs and served amazing food/drink. All in all, a fab holiday, but could do with the park being quieter because of our young child.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double bedroom ended caravan, one of the villa ones - lovely accomodation!
Walsall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have just came back from staying here in a "upgraded" 2011 caravan, the site is located in a valley (so no signal). It is a small site with about 5 styles of caravan. We were disappointed with the caravan as soon as we saw the location of it, it was right next to the club (we don't use those facilities) this was very frustrating having a disco and some awful entertainment blaring loudly right next to us till 11.30pm every single night, our children are very young and were in bed for 9pm, we had to stay up till the music stopped. They should not have the caravans or rather the caravan I stayed in so close to the club!!! First impressions when inspecting the caravan was not great the TV was a tiny 15inch (I did notice some of the caravans the same as ours had bigger) The sofa's were very uncomfortable very straight backed and upright, The kitchen was lovely everything u need, The bathroom was dirty and smelt of urine I also noticed the toilet bowl was leaking. The two smaller bedrooms were ok but even though we upgraded we had to make our own beds, the sheets had marks on them and mismatched. The double bedroom mattress had mould on and the curtains also, the quilts are thin and barely covered the bed and the pillows were covered in plastic awful! (take your own) The beds are the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. Most of the site was flooded and I had spoken to other holidaymakers in the laundrette (£4 a wash) who were extremely upset with the place I was told not to bother talking to reception because they insist there is nothing they can do and are only nice to you the first time you go in, the second time forget it! The lady who runs the shop is extremely rude and unprofessional and overpriced! The swimming pool (only outdoor) we used once is not appropriate for a family site the toddler pool was too shallow to keep toddlers warm and the main pool is too deep for adults let alone the main users which would be children! the flume is only open 20mins every hour and there is a height restriction (which we didn't know and daughter was disappointed) children of any age including teens have to be accompanied by an adult in the pool at all times because of how deep it is. It was nice and warm thought which I wasn't expecting. The beach is a very long walk! especially if you have young children it takes a good 30 minutes and you have to walk along a dune because the path isn't very wide, the beach ain't great it has small sharp stones and shells mixed in with the sand so wear surf shoes rather than bare foot or crocs. The only good thing I can say about this park is the location by two wonderful pubs (St Pirans inn & Tregath inn) excellent service and food and reasonable prices. Also the chippy in the village Assault & Battery (lol) are the best cooked chips u will ever find. I shall not ever be returning to Holywell bay or shall I ever stay with a park dean resort again. I will stick to haven where upgrading actually means something and they listen to what you have to say and act on it.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just arrived home yest after a one week stay. Group of 10 in 3 seprate caravans. Had a fab time. Caravan was a cubert new for 2012 large enough for 4 of us. The other family stayed in the deamonze that was also huge. Other couple stayed in a porthtowen not as big but plenty room for 2. If you're a large family cubert or delamonze. Clean well equipped etc. STff brillaint well the reps were esp ally and claire. Made you fell so welcome,and fab with the kids. Beach was fab 10/15 min i'd say. The pub st pirans near the beach is lovly relli nice food,although a tad expensive 4.20 for a small glass of wine!! Holywell bay funpark is a must visit yet again expensive tho,but lots of fun to b had. The outdoor pool at holywelll is superb if u get the weather,luckily we had a few good days. We did have a problem with mud at our caravan were some spots were free of it,so no sittin outside havin a bbq :( we just went to our freinds caravan instead. Als a tad problem with ants. Kept the caravan super clean they were still a pest,they did come put ant powder down,but they still kept comin grr. It is a small site,small stage etc gets busy so we teneded to get there for 7/7.30 after that time you've no chance of a table. Food at the elenglaze god and reasonable family of 4 cost 20 pounds. They also do bottles of wine at 8.25. The patio outside when wet is very slippery so be carefull if you have kids in tow they will fall. Would i go back i sure would. Was good value for money had a fabo time. enjoy.

Room Tip: Cubert or delamenze
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!