“Parkdean, Holywell Bay Disabled need not apply.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Near Newquay | Cornwall, Newquay, England   |
Ranked #44 of 70 Specialty lodging in Newquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Parkdean, Holywell Bay Disabled need not apply.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at Parkdean, Holywell Bay.
The park is situated in the Elenglaze valley and is very remote if you don't have a car, as the nearest supermarket is Morrison’s in Newquay which is a 15 min car journey. Even though I drive I did not see a bus pass the park in all the time I was there, so if you don't have a car you will have to stay on the park if you can call it that.

If you are like me and are used to the bigger parks of Haven and other Parkdean sites then you will be disappointed at the services on offer.
They say they have Amusements, I don't think 5 slot machines and 2 arcade games can constitute as an Amusements especially as I found out after one of the machines broke and refused to pay out the prize my niece had won that the park DOESN'T even own there machines and we would have to wait for the technician who would arrive after my stay had ended meaning it wasn't an option or they could refund me the 30p play even though I had put in over £3 to win the prize.

There is no longer a takeaway as some other posters have said as this has been replaced by the Elenglaze Bar & Grill, which is overpriced as you can get a medium plate of fish and chips for £7.95! although I will say the food is of a good standard.

The entertainment is of a poor standard as they do not stick to time tables which resulted in my niece missing her favourite Sid and Lizzie characters on all but 1 of the nights we stayed.

If you like to be active on holiday then you will not be spending much time on the park as there is nothing for people over 5 to during the day, I ended up driving to the near by Haven at Perran Sands which has everything from Burger King to Poppa Johns Pizza and an indoor swimming pool.

Now onto the beach, it is a beautiful beach, its a shame that it is not 10 mins away as they say but more like 15-20 mins walk. The only way you colud get there in 10 mins would be to run. A word of warning to anyone with a disabled relative, you will NOT be able to get to the beach, I was very annoyed that they do not advertise anywhere that the beach is unsuitable for people with disabilities as the only way to get to the beach is down a massive slope across grass lands and a stream and then over a 20ft sand dune, the reason for the disappointment was the fact that this is the only holiday my disabled mother will go on this year and always wants to see the sea but could not as it was to inaccessible to her.

The accommodation is of a good standard and clean but nothing to shout home about, I stayed in a porthreath and found it clean and sufficient but the cooker did not work and when the reception was told, they told us they could fix it once we had left, which is of no use to me and mad me wonder if it is a scam to get you buy food in the overpriced Ellenglaze Bar & Grill as I spoke to a few people staying at the park and they all seemed to have broken cookers which the park refused to fix.

I will NOT be going back to Holywell Bay anytime soon, I think I will stick to the much better and more well run Parkdean at Croyde Bay, Devon called Ruda as the surf is just as good if not better and there is more to see and do on the park.

I will end on saying that the staff behind the bar are great, efficient and friendly its a shame they are let down by the arrogant staff in reception.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

Ive just read some of the recent reviews put on here and thought compelled to write. We had a absolutely fantastic time staying at holywell bay. We paid the extra and stayed in the trewan caravan, a lovely caravan load of space around it and it backed onto the ellenglaze. Waking up every morning and looking out of our bedroom window to the nature reserve was lovely and so relaxing.
The kids loved the outside adventure play area and the pool. Also it was helped that we had fantastic weather. My daughter loved the stunning beach as she is a total beach babe!
The only reason we are not going back this year is the fact we have to take a holiday earlier in the year and there is no indoor pool - this is the only improvement i would make, that and build new toilets in the showbar as they werent nice.
Fantastic time had by all

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Leominster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

After reading some negative reviews I thought we had been to a different holiday park. We booked very late and so only had a cheaper caravan which was located alongside the camping field. However, despite it's old design (galley type) kitchen, we were completed satisfied with our accomodation. The park was in a lovely setting with a stream running through it. It is in a valley which is the reason for no mobile phone reception - not the parks fault. The staff in reception were very friendly and helpful, and we managed to get our keys a couple of hours early, despite the park being fully booked. We knew beforehand that there was no restaurant on site but Morrisons is only about a ten minute drive away so food shopping was no problem. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and for a small park the club was well used. We did only go in the club once, but as we hadn't got our grandchildren with us, that was enough for us. The little children in the club were having a great time and it was easy for the parents to look after them as it wasn't too big. The outside pool was open and well used. The beach is amazing, however you have to negotiate sand dunes at high tide and so probably not good for wheelchair users, although the park is on the flat. Saying that Perranporth is not far away where access is easy. The only negative statement is that the small shop is overpriced...but all holiday park shops are...and the take-away was again slightly pricey and not much of a range...but if you don't mind doing your own catering this park is really lovely.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Yes the views are stunning, overlooking the beautiful bay but unfortunatly thats as good as it gets with this out dated Parkdean holiday park. The caravan was dirty, old as the hills and smelled of damp. We felt itchy as soon as we entered our holiday home and couldn't believe how poor the accomodation was. The club house was small, smelled of stale beer and again generally rubbish. This is the worst place I've ever been to...seriously give this one a miss...don't listen to any reviews that recommend this park. It's dirty, old, shop on site is a rip off and the club house no better than a wooden shack. Newquay was a fantastic weekend away, it's just a pity we stayed at Holywell.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
swanley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This Park is located just a short walk from one of the best beaches I have seen in the UK.Unfortunately the park itself could have been better.We stayed in a Delabole caravan which was apparently 5 years old but the mattresses were seriously lumpy and none of us had a good nights' rest there.We did complain but there was not much the staff could do about this.However in their favour they did respond rapidly when we complained the cooker grill wasn't working and it was fixed within hours. They were also very helpful providing information on local attractions.
I agree with the other reviewer that this camp has a "rough" feel,and it reminded me a little of Butlins.The Clubhouse was okay if you like Bingo but that's not really my thing.My 11 and 13 year olds weren't impressed with the clubhuse entertainment either but perhaps younger children would like it more.We didn't use the teen club.
The pub on the beach is excellent and we had the best meal of the holiday there.I would definitely go back to the beach but not the holiday park.It was very expensive considering the quality of the accomodation(we went in peak season).
There was no virgin reception at the park but you could get a phone signal half a mile down the road,You can use wi-fi at the clubhouse or just outside it which is useful for finding out about local attractions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

we arrived early and were lucky enough to go into our bungalow early as it was ready (there are bungalows on the site). the staff in reception were very helpful.
the bungalow itself was very clean and spacious, beds were made on arrival (proper pine normal sized beds!) this was ideal as we only use it as a base to sleep and have breakfast!
the site itself is very good for young families maybe not so good clubwise and entertainment wise for older teenagers, however the beach and the views are to die for! the wildlife around the park varies alot from rabbits to shrews to fish in the stream that runs through the park! so if you have young children they will enjoy exploring!
the surroundings of the park were well kept and tidy
the takeaway on site was very basic but still very nice, the service and staff in the takeaway was brilliant, they definately went out the way for you
bar staff were nice but a smile doesn't cost a lot! entertainment staff were great, they were two great guys and a great girl, they kept the children entertained and even got a few laughs out of the adults!
the two pubs, The Treguth Inn and St Pirans Inn, are worth a visit, excellent food and great friendly staff especially in the Treguth Inn!
overall a very relaxing and chilled holiday, would go again but with the grandchildren, as my teenager enjoyed it but it is more for younger children

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This was our first visit to this site and our first experience of staying in a caravan. It was basically what we had expected as in 'you get what you pay for'.

Check in was quick and easy and we were allowed in the caravan a couple of hours early. The caravan was overlooking the childrens play area which was ideal for us. The caravan was basic but had all the essentials. The childrens bedroom was very small and the beds tiny, my son fell out of the bed a couple of times every single night. The caravan was clean except for the bottom kitchen cupboards which we didnt use as they were rather dirty.

On site there is a shop which stocks most stuff but is only open 9am-7pm.

The swimming pool is outdoors but heated so even on days when we didnt have much sun the children used the pool. The lifeguards by the pool kept the area very clean. It was a little disappointing that the pool was only open 10-1pm and the 2pm-5pm and the water chute was only open for 20 minutes 4 times a day. Also, my son who is 7 and able to swim a full length of a pool was not allowed past the point where he couldnt reach the bottom as they didnt think he was a strong swimmer (my husband was actually in the water with him). The area for children who have armbands or like my son, not deemed a strong swimmer, is about 1/8th of the pool so therefore it gets very crowded. The baby pool which is separate is not heated and absolutely freezing.

Therre is no mobile phone reception anywhere on the site. We went to the fun park, go-karting and stuff at the top of the hill and that was the only place we got reception.

The evening entertainment was fair for the children but not good for adults. All in all though the children loved it. and want to go back. If you are happy to just spend a week watching the children play then this is a good break.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!