We returned to the hotel on a special deal with secret escapes, the first time we have returned since the new pool and "swim club" has been completed. I must admit that the new facilities are great. The pool and the lounge in the swim club are very nice and an excellent addition to the hotel. As on every other visits we have made, the staff were great, helpful, friendly and nothing is to much trouble. The location as always was great and with snow where we live, being able to walk on the beach was great !
Now we come to the downsides. This is not a cheap hotel and regardless of whether we got a deal or not, the rooms we stayed in would have cost over £500 for the weekend in the summer and we did not feel that the facilities in the room were up to scratch for this sort of money. There is a fine line between a good hotel and a great hotel and at this minute Watergate bay seems just below this line. The WiFi was incredibly slow when you could get a connection, the Tv selection in the room is antiquated with the need for 2 remote controls for freeview only, in this day and age for that sort of money, Sky should be the bare minimum ! We also noticed in our room, there was a constant hum / drone from the fans in the car park that didn't assist with sleep. The curtains in our room were also to small for the windows and as such let light in in the morning, why not blackout blinds or bigger curtains ?
It's a real shame as we really love the location and the general ambience and to be honest this is still a very good hotel, we just think they need to refocus the customer experience in the rooms and it will be a truly great hotel.
One more thing, there were a lot of children in the hotel which we have not noticed on previous visits. I appreciate that there is not a lot the hotel can do, however we had a couple of issues with kids running around as they wanted without to much parental control. As is said, clearly not the hotels fault but something to be aware of.
- Also Known As:
- The Hotel And Extreme Academy, Watergate Bay
- Watergate Bay
- Hotel Watergate Bay
- Watergate Hotel Newquay
- Bay Hotel Watergate
- Watergate Bay Newquay
- Watergate Bay Hotel Newquay, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Watergate Bay Hotel gives you all the great things you'd find in a mountain resort - on a beach! It's an awesome mix of adrenalin sports, gorgeous accommodation, great places to eat and drink, inspiring people and a relaxed vibe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your Watergate Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.