“Nice place to spend a couple of hours” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 60 Activities in Newquay
Type: Bowling Alleys, Amusement
London, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“Nice place to spend a couple of hours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a nice activity with the children in Newquay and found this bowling aley in Hotel California. We had nice couple of hours with the children. We all enjoyed the experience.

Visited July 2012

“Awful service. Incredibly rude staff.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

If I could give you one piece of advice, I would suggect never crossing the threshold of California Bowling. Terrible service from beginning to end...in fact, scrap that, we didn't even make it to the end, as we decided it was so bad we walked out. It seemed so much of a hassle to serve me and 3 friends that the person working had to throw his plate of food across the kitchen in anger. Awful service, awful staff and a pretty grim place in general.

Visited August 2012
“Not worth visiting the bowling alley”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Very rude staff, so rude that we ended up walking out and finding something else to do instead of bowling.

Newquay, United Kingdom
“the standard set is for toddlers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Basically we was going to stay in the hotel but had a terrible experience in just the hotel/bowling alley itself. It was mine and my partners anniversary therefore I requested to read the menu before i booked anything as it wasn't on the website. They had no variety apart from children's meals such as fish'n'chips, burgers, or sandwiches, however we paid for two adult games + two adult meals, which when I ordered for myself the sandwich option I was told they don't do them anymore. The only choice I had for my specific diet was the fish which the attendent said they may or might not have. I then asked or the refund for the meals, but we would still bowl and the manager refused to refund me as I had already paid and he had already in his words 'organised everything'. Due to my age (19) I think he tried to fob me off, however at the end I went to complain to the hotel for the whole experience including bones in my fish that I wasn't warned about. The hotel receptionist even agreed that I should have been given a refund when I asked, and went down to speak to the bowling manager. When they returned the receptionist told me as we had eaten the food (partially) there was no way we were getting a refund. I live locally in Newquay and don't tend to spend money in places often but seeing as it was our anniversary I was prepared to have a night away from the home, and was nothing but disgusted in the service I got.