“A great attraction” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 55 things to do in Newquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From the local Cornish coast to the dazzling beauty of the Tropical Reef, Newquay Blue Reef aquarium has an exciting world of underwater adventure waiting to be discovered. More than 40 innovative displays vividly bring to life the sights, sounds and smells of the sea, whilst regular feeding displays, rock-pool workshops and informative talks provide a fun and fascinating day out. Visitors can enjoy the closest of undersea encounters with amazing aquatic life including seahorses, giant octopus, pulsating Jellyfish and fierce Piranha. At the aquariums heart is a spectacular coral reef display housed within a 250,000 litre ocean tank - home to exotic tropical species like black tip reef sharks and Omiros the rescued loggerhead turtle. As well as hundreds of brightly-coloured reef fish and a huge Southern Stingray. Enjoy the sheer beauty of the display by taking a journey through its very own underwater tunnel, as well as through a number of viewing portholes, a floor to ceiling window and even enjoy close encounters from the surface - where Omiros often likes to pop up to say hello! Situated on Towan Promenade in the heart of Newquay, Blue Reef Aquarium not only offers a beach on its doorstep but also an amazing experience, whatever the weather!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Wales
4 attraction reviews
“A great attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A great attraction that is very well kept. Staff are knowledgeable and ready to talk and answer questions.
Quite pricey at £32 for a family of 4 ticket, although it is in a prime location on Newquay front.
Our two boys really enjoyed the experience as did we.

Boscastle, United Kingdom
“Most enjoyable -ignore the curmudgeonly reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Thre generations of the family went to the aquarium to celebrate 2 year old's birthday - her choice and really enjoyed it - beautifully clean, everything in tiptop condition. Loved the layout - very good use of space - and the nursery was delightful. Admittedly, it could perhaps get a bit too busy in peak season and might be a bit of queuing but we had no problems.

Somerset. UK
4 attraction reviews
“it has fish!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Enjoyable to see the fish & other marine life but did expect something slightly bigger, we paid around £40 for a family of 6 (one under 3) and unfortunately it took all of 30 minutes to get round.

Stoke Gabriel, United Kingdom
“A great place to spend a couple of hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I visited in April 2013 with my 9 year old daughter. I could see how other reviewers may feel it isn't good value for money with younger children as there were quite a few speeding round during our visit making it a short activity. However, we were fascinated from the start. There was so much to see in each tank and the information was really well presented so you knew just what you were looking at. We did half the aquarium then went to the cafe for a break (which was overpriced poor quality food from what we could see so just had a drink) then went back in. On the second time the octopus was swimming around. The turtle feed was great and the staff happy to answer any questions.

All in all a great couple of hours if you have children with you that are happy to take their time and read about what they are seeing. This is not an active hands on experience so don't go expecting that.

6 attraction reviews
“Can't rave about it enough!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hi all,
We went to the blue reef aquarium whilst on holiday in Newquay. We hadn't researched anywhere to visit but we came across this on the beach and decide to have a look inside at the prices etc.
When we got inside it looks very clean and professional. I think it was about £8-£9 per adult and £2.99 for a guide, unsure as the hubby paid!!! But the guide is worth buying, not just whilst you are in the aquarium but also for a souvenir afterwards. We don't have any kiddies but they did hand out little 'scratch card' games and things for the kids to interact with. They also gave us a schedule of the activities that were planned for the day. We got there about 2pm and they had 'terrapin talk' at 2.30, 'octopus feed' at 3pm and 4pm 'shark feed/big pool feed'. Now I have been to sealife and aquariums before but never seen a schedule like this before. So we planned on going to all the little shows in between looking around. So buy the time we got past the first section (turtles) we had just got to the terrapin talk. The staff had a terrapin out and showed and talked about its body and habits. Obviously some things I knew but others I didn't and the hubby and I asked lots of questions afterwards and they were more than happy to answer them and were very knowledgeable and approachable. He also spoke about the other animals in the tank with the terrapins and explained more about them, from which I learnt loads. Next we went to the next section (cold water) we looked at all the tanks and all the fish but the major one was the GPO (that's the slang I heard staff use!!) which is a giant pacific octopus!!! She is massive!! She was hidden away in a little cave and goosebumps came on my arms as I felt scared!! One woman behind me jumped and cried!! Her husband or partner had to console her by hugging and kissing her!! My husband stood in disbelief!! We were in the middle of looking around the cold water when the octopus feed was starting. I had already agreed with the hubby that if I didn't like it I was walking off and that he was coming with me!! So we stood around the tank whilst the member of staff tried to entice her out of her cave with a live crab!! She didn't move for a while but after 5 mins shimmied her way out and WOW. She is huge but as much as I didn't feel comfortable I really like her and her character seemed to show!! He told us loads of facts and a story of an octopus in another aquarium. The story is- In the other aquarium they had an octopus in the middle of lots of other small tanks with fish and crabs in. Every morning when the staff went into the aquarium the fish and crabs had all disappeared. This went on for weeks until the staff decided to put in CCTV and they actually realised that the octopus was sliding up his tank wall, back down on the floor and going into every tank, eating what he wanted and sliding back into his own tank!! Clever thing! The octopus at blue reef also had a jar in the tank which she could unscrew, a mr potato head she pulls the pieces out of and puts them back in and a plastic boat she pulls down - the staff call it the titanic!!! We had loads of questions about the octopus, like many others and the member of staff was more than happy to answer them all, the staff were so good! Next we moved onto marine fish, so all the nemos and pufferfish were there! Lovely to see them in gorgeous environments too with colourful corals etc. we saw the most deadly fish ever!! Then we went into the overhead tunnel tank. It was great seeing all the fish in the tank, massive sting rays, sharks and a beautiful turtle!! After you have walked through the tunnel you then walk up some steps to a nursery and see all the baby animals, like seahorses etc then up above is the main tank with all the sharks and the turtle in from the tunnel. By this time we were on time for the shark feeding. Another member of staff came and told us about the different animals and their diets. He told us names of the animals and the difference between the male and females. Again a very knowledgable member if staff and very helpful. Overall I can't say enough positive things about blue reef. What I really love it the fact that the fish aren't in just plain tanks, they are in rounded & concave tanks etc which magnify and make looking at the fish more interesting.
At the end of the trip there is a gift shop - we bought a cuddly seahorse and a magnet for the fridge and it came to £6 but the seahorse is quite big, around ten inches. So I think that's not bad considering that you are a closed market. There is also a cafe but we didn't buy/eat in there so can't comment but it looked very clean and was busy with families.
Overall, well worth the money (you can buy a standard ticket and use it all day too) staff do a great job and I learnt loads.
Worth a visit if you are a couple, family or with friends
I want to go back but have decided on a few more attraction so won't have time :(

Keep up the good work blue reef :)

Happy travelling