“Enjoyed it” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 55 things to do in Newquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From the local Cornish coast to the dazzling beauty of the Tropical Reef, Newquay Blue Reef aquarium has an exciting world of underwater adventure waiting to be discovered. More than 40 innovative displays vividly bring to life the sights, sounds and smells of the sea, whilst regular feeding displays, rock-pool workshops and informative talks provide a fun and fascinating day out. Visitors can enjoy the closest of undersea encounters with amazing aquatic life including seahorses, giant octopus, pulsating Jellyfish and fierce Piranha. At the aquariums heart is a spectacular coral reef display housed within a 250,000 litre ocean tank - home to exotic tropical species like black tip reef sharks and Omiros the rescued loggerhead turtle. As well as hundreds of brightly-coloured reef fish and a huge Southern Stingray. Enjoy the sheer beauty of the display by taking a journey through its very own underwater tunnel, as well as through a number of viewing portholes, a floor to ceiling window and even enjoy close encounters from the surface - where Omiros often likes to pop up to say hello! Situated on Towan Promenade in the heart of Newquay, Blue Reef Aquarium not only offers a beach on its doorstep but also an amazing experience, whatever the weather!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Visited here with my girlfriend. Really enjoyed it. Having visited the marine aquarium in Plymouth too I can say I prefer it here. It's a small place, I won't deny that but they cram a lot in. Yeah of course you're going to "walk around it in 30 minutes" if you just glance at everything but that's not the beauty of the place. There's a lot of information you can take in if you care to.

My favourite part of the aquarium was the crocodile lagoon. Didn't realise there were two of them in there at first until I saw one standing motionless with half its head out of the water staring at me. Gave my girlfriend a good scare :)

You go through until you walk through the cliche underwater tunnel in the main tank. Then just past that you get to the top of the tank where they hold talks etc. Just as we got there it was time for the loggerhead turtle to have a feed. The employee feeding him gave a little talk as he did it and it was quite amazing seeing the big turtle come out of the water to grab food.

All in all I actually preferred this to the much bigger one in Plymouth just because of the variety of displays. I think they probably have more species here than they do in Plymouth. Just not as many of them and not a 250 million litre tank.

Visited October 2012

“Very expensive!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

£9.75 per adult is just far too expensive for the size of the attraction. What little there is, is well presented with some interesting facts. Don't take a buggy (as we did) there just isn't the room. The cafe looked really tired. We didnt bother stopping for coffee. Yes you can use your ticket for unlimited visits during the day, but after a 30 mins visit would you really want to go back!

Chippenham, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Good place to take the kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would have given it an excellant but for the fact we were not allowed to touch the rays anymore.
However it is an fun hour for the kids. We stopped for coffee and I decided to have a slush puppy as I have not had one since I was a kid. This was shortly followed by the most amazingly painful brain freeze.
Its right by the beach so when you have finished there, go and get changed and hit the surfs.

Visited August 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Great fun for the kids... and the big kids!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good for the family. A great place to learn about and see exotic sea life, learn about conservation and the marine life. Very tranquil place for the adults, and a great place for the kids, and big kids alike! Love the array of fish, sharks, and the great big wolf (?) fish in the great big tank. Fantastic outing for a couple of hours.

Visited November 2011
Brixham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Too pricy for size and give cafe a miss !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The aquarium is ok - but no more - I only had to pay for two adults but if I was taking say a family of five in I would have been quite disappointed with what was on offer, it takes very little time to get around and I really do think they need to look at their price structure - we had a buggy which you can take around with you but it is so compact it really was very difficult. With the competition that Plymouth offers with their superb aquarium they do need to do something to attract visitors to not only visit but to revisit - I certainly would not want to.

As for the cafe - I can only think the person on duty had a hangover - he really wasnt with it at all ! I ordered soup with roll and butter (as advertised) asked whether I would like brown or white roll and answered white, for my daughter jacket potatoes with beans and cheese and for my grandaughter half a jacket with beans and cheese, one latte and one sprite - not too difficult an order - you would think ! What I actually got was - soup with white roll and margerine, jacket potatoes with cheese and no beans and he had to ask again what our drinks order was. The potatoes were taken off to have the beans added the whole lot was put in the micro and came out with the cheese literally bubbling - my grandaughter is sixteen months old was starving and had to wait ten minutes for it to cool down - all the while screaming. It just reinforced my decision not to revisit I am afraid - very disappointing.

Visited September 2012