“Great location good value very friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Esplanade Hotel

You added The Esplanade Hotel to your Saves list
The Esplanade Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esplanade Road, Fistral Beach, Newquay TR7 1PS, England   |
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
london
“Great location good value very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Lovely location and just in front of Fistral Beach. Freindly staff. We went at a very busy time, so our room was a little small. I need of modernising. Very stuffy in the room which was near and above the bar. So if your windows are open you will get a lit of bar noise. Good breakfast and overall good value for money. Great hot chocolates at the bar.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

This isn't your average review for a hotel but I thought it was worth jotting down our experience so as to warn others so they don't experience what we did....

My husband telephoned The Esplande Hotel direct to book a family room. It was going to cost us around £95 B & B for 2 adults and 1 child. We were very excited as we were going to take our little 10 month old boy siwmming for the first time and the hotel was marketed as 'family friendly'.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were told (very rudely) that we did not have a booking and we were in fact booked into their sister Hotel The Bay. So we drove to the Bay Hotel only to find out that yes we were booked into this hotel. We were very unhappy at this as children were not allowed to use the facilities and we would have to go to the Esplande to use the facilities - not practical for us at the time as my hubby had a broken leg! So I asked for a refund which they were willing to give to me - as long as I was to sign what was a 'confidentiality agreement' which meant if I told anyone they would sue me!!!! I refused to sign - and hence this review!!!!!

It turned out that when my husband had booked the room the telephone system had automatically diverted the call from The Esplande to The Bay Hotel - and no one thought to tell us!!!! Therefore apparently it was OUR fault!!!

This review is to warn fellow travellers to ensure you know WHICH hotel you're booking if you are booking by telephone!!! We had a wasted journey and all our plans for the weekend were runied, together with time off work which we were not compensated for - the only thing the hotel had offered was a £20 discount towards a future stay! But that only benefits them - for THEIR mistake!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
EspCustomerRelations, Owner at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We find it unfortunate that the guest was unhappy with the booking process. In this case a booking was made for the Bay Hotel, and confirmed for the Bay Hotel. We sympathise with the customer and offer the fact that we share a website and occasionally reservations as a potential reason for the confusion on their part. However we do recommend that all our customers read their confirmations, which we send usually within 24 hours.

In practical terms we would like to point out that there is only approx 100 metres between the hotels, and that The Bay is graded 4 stars. We would like to apologise to the guest for any inconvenience this caused.
Buckinghamshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Happy with our stay at the Esplanada Hotel. The room was nice with modern bathroom fittings and was presented clean and tidy. Buffet breakfast was fresh with a nice selection on offer. Location was directly opposite the beach which was great. Plenty of free on street parking or you can pay extra to reserve a hotel park space. Only real quibbles were that the room was hot and stuffy for this time of year (April) and also the bed was not the most comfortable.

Chelt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Before I get onto the negatives there is one good point about the hotel. The location - it is fabulously located with greats views of Fistral Beach.

We booked a standard double room for £100 a night inc breakfast. We were given a family room (303) although there was only me and my partner. I was shocked at what I saw on entering the room. There was a pungent musty smell. It was very dated and just felt dirty. The bathroom was dated and not somewhere I would have wanted to shower. On a serious note any travelodge room would have beaten this hands down. Anyway after a polite complaint to Reception we were offered another room on the first floor. This time the room didn't smell and felt a bit more cleaner. The bathroom was updated but still the room was not upto standard. We then ended up upgrading to a Contemporary room at a cost of £140 a night. This was a better room with lovely views of Fistral Beach. Still in my view having stayed at many hotels for alot less this room still didn't meet my expectations. You were paying over the odds for a room that met standards but was nothing special (other than the views). On the second morning there was no hot water so were unable to shower. I did complain to Reception and said I'd paid an extra £80 to upgrade to a room I didn't think was worth that and on top of that I couldn't shower, needless to say I wasn't happy. Anyway reception did take my comments on board and said they would be passed onto the management team. I was offered a 10% refund of room accommodation costs just as long as I kept details of my complaints a private matter between myself and the hotel. I have rejected this as I feel I should be able to share my views and concerns with other people. I will state the obvious that I won't be returning to this hotel under any circumstances.

Also we did eat in the hotel on Friday which was also poor. I ordered seared fish with cous cous and the fish was overcooked and the cous cous soggy.

A very dissapointing stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
We would like to reassure readers that every effort was made to help the guest with any problems we were made aware of during their stay to help ensure it was a pleasant one. We apologise for any difficulties they experienced.

When the guest was disappointed with the initial room, an alternative was found immediately which was approved at the time by the guest. The request later that night to upgrade was after the guest visited a room their friends were staying in, which was a premium upgrade room that had been specifically requested and paid for by the other party. After their evening meal, our receptionists enquired to see that all was satisfactory, and the guests expressed satisfaction. Apart from the original room move, no other complaint was raised at any time. We do actively enquire to ensure guests are enjoying their stay whilst they are with us, we pride ourselves on high quality levels of customer service and regret that we were not made aware of any other issues. It is difficult to rectify any problems after the guests have departed, especially when faced with unrealistic demands for compensation.

However should the guest wish to visit us again at any point, we would warmly welcome the opportunity to correct any negative impressions they had.
Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

Easy parking outside the hotel and a warm welcome at reception.
The room was comfortable and clean (without a sea view). The walls however were paper-thin, and we could hear conversations (arguments!) and televisions at all times of the night. Depending on your neighbours, you may have you use some earplugs to get a decent night's sleep!
There was a wedding reception on our first night, but true their word, the music stopped at 1am!
All in all a great hotel, and well recommended. Great views and location, and at a great price.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I went with my partner for a relaxing break out of London and I have to say I was absolutely amazed by the great quality of this hotel, if we take in consideration the average standards for English hotels... This one was amazingly clean, the rooms didn't look old, the bathroom was stunning and newly refurbished, with a clean bathtub. I recommend the breakfast buffet at the restaurant, lots of choice with both English and continental breakfast. It was in a quiet location by the cliffs, with stunning views of the beach. The only bad thing was the typical carpet throughout the hotel, which gave it a slightly tacky look but this is not news if we talk about England. Apart from this I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

AYRSHIRE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Visited ths hotel four years ago and booked a classic room. Returned this year and opted for a balcony room. Classic room was to a far higher standard and better value for money. Enjoy the views from the lounge area - don't bother with the balcony. Agree with other reviews - windows could have benefited from a good clean, annoying when you are paying extra for a balcony / seaview but are faced with a film of salt.

Staff were helpful and friendly, particularly in the restaurant. We took the £10 dinner option and this was good value for money. Menu was not extensive but catered for most tastes. Drink prices were similar to what I have paid in other hotels recently (expensive) but relaxing and enjoying the view compensated for this.

Room was cleaned daily and towels (but not bedding) changed. Pool and sauna area was clean and well maintained.

In summary a good three star hotel but shop around for the best rates.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!