“Excellent Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #78 of 176 restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Situated in the four star Atlantic Hotel, Silks Bistro and Champagne Bar is one the finest restaurants in Newquay. The bistro exudes a distinctively modern vibe with monochrome upholstery and sky high palms.Open seven days a week serving coffees, teas and light bites and with daily lunch and evening specials, the awarding-winning Silks Bistro & Champagne Bar is the perfect place to unwind at any time of the day. Fresh, locally caught fish dishes are always on the menu and wherever possible local produce is used to create a mouth-watering variety of dishes. With Sunday lunches being served from midday and afternoon tea daily until 6pm.
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Last visit was about a year ago and we had heard that standards had slipped but found that this was not the case. The greeting and service was very good as was the menu. The roast beef for three of the party was carved from a trolley brought to the table with considerable emphasis on each person having a choice of how well done. My chicken casserole was ample and very tasty.
The price was quite acceptable given the service and ambiance.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Slipped standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

After visiting Silk a few times before and really having a great experiences, i am really sorry to say that standards have massively slipped! We went as a group of 7 and 5 of us left unhappy.

Pros:

The floor staff were lovely and service with a smile
Location and view are great
Decor and building are fantastic

Cons:

The menu was that of a simple pub with bistro prices
The food service was slow
Food was well below standards
Presentation of food and drinks were average

The menu was very simple and very country pub, not that I have a problem with that, but if you advertise as Bistro at least have the menu to match the prices.

I have had food here before and would have definitely put the steak I had in the top 5 (I find dine a lot) but Saturday night has left a bitter taste in my mouth, steak I had was cooked medium rare, (I ordered medium well!) it came with 9 small chips in different states of being cooked, most of them over cooked. The side garnish that accompanied the steak, onion rings, tomato and a mushroom looked like they had jut been purchased from a kebab shop, and the follow up service was slow nd poor. My friend who was sat next to me had to send her steak back due to not being what she ordered, when it returned some 7 minutes later the same chips were on the plate and had clearly been thrown back into the fryer, and I had to remind them to produce a fresh steak sauce as that one had obviously gone cold.

All in all my experience was a let down and as a direct result, neither my friends or myself will not be booking or recommending silks Bistro & champagne bar again.

Visited May 2013
“Massive disappointment.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a group of 6 friends this time last year for a birthday celebration. My lasting memory was, great company, a lovely setting and one of the best fillet steaks I have ever tasted. So I was looking forward to the same this year when I heard we were going back.
First impressions were great: this is a very classy venue and the staff welcoming. We got seated almost immediately...even though, it turned out we were an hour early for our booking. We were shown the cocktail list and were amused when we asked for a Long Island Ice tea and Martini that we couldn't have those because they weren't listed. We'll we chose others and we're bemused when half arrived in tall tumblers and half in cocktail glasses. The menu was our next issue...there was no fillet steak, just sirloin. We thought this slightly odd and disappointing. The menu also seemed to be very limited (not like the year before) resembling a pub menu rather than a classy bistro one. Whilst in the process of choosing we saw 2 plates with a slow roasted leg of lamb which looked fantastic. We asked whether we could have those but were told that they had been preordered specially for another birthday party. So the short answer was no. In the end we chose our starters, mains and wine. We did tease the waitress who took it in in good humour. I had set my heart on steak do I decided to have the sirloin, blue.
Our starters arrived, I had the chorizo stew which tasted lovely, if a little small. Three of our group had battered and deep fried starters (tempura seafood and salt and pepper squid I think) and all of them were soggy, as though they had been cooked in oil that was too cool. Despite this the faint burnt taste too. Like the oil hadn't been changed for a while. One of our party ate theirs, another picked out the bits of fish and the third was put off and decided to send it back. The waitress was very good about this. Our mains arrived, my steak was perfectly cooked but the 10ish chips (other people on here have mentioned the lack of chips!) were overcooked (brown) and soggy with oil (my guess is they were cooked in the same fryer as the starters) the steak wasn't the best quality or the tastiest one I've had (i have had better in a chain pub...for half the price) so luckily I got a Diane sauce with it. Four of our party had the steak and everyone had the same issues. The risotto was swimming with sauce (more like a rice soup) . So all in all two of our party had meals they actually enjoyed. By this point our teasing had turned into sarcasm. I'm afraid the staff were getting the brunt of this. Obviously the kitchen was letting them down. At around this point we saw them start to avoid us. In fact we asked for a pint of lager and it took 15 mins to arrive. We collectively decided to eat what we wanted to and then get the bill. We were honest with the waitress about our feelings (and that we didn't want any desserts/drinks/coffee) After a debate they took off the starter we sent back (we were charged for the tempura fish) they took off the '15min' lager and gave us a 10% discount. Will we be going back next year? We'll the short answer is no. Such a shame.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Pudsey
“Wider choice required”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

A return visit to this hotel and Silks from last year. A beautiful setting with smashing ambience. What we had was very nice, but I was disappointed that the choice was quite limited, I had hoped for a selection of sea food on the special;s board.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Weight Watchers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you're on a diet I could recommend Silks,I had Serloin steak and (chips 13 ) my son had a side order of chips,he was lucky he had 15.All the portions were very small ,we spent £248 between 9 of us, we expected better than this,the service was slow.On the plus side the food tasted fine.

• Visited March 2013