“Very nice clean restarunt.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 180 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Restaurant is on first floor, cocktail bar on GF
“Very nice clean restarunt.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Great food. Realy enjoyed. Would recommend. Pleasant atmosphere. Best fajitas in town!!! Get in there and give it a try. Welcoming and friendly service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your meal especially the fajitas and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“2nd visit in 2 months”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time visiting The Mexican Cantina in Newquay, and both times we heve left stuffed but contented. The portion sizes are huge however so order wisely, but the food is great and tasty. The staff are extremely friendly and love to test your Spanish skills. Can't wait till we visit again. Alan and Natalie.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your great review. Please come back soon for your third visit!
Reading
“Good Food, busy staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We visted on a saturday night and although the restaurant was not full to capacity the staff seemed rushed off their feet and everything was a rush to getting orders, drinks checking if food was ok, checking if we needed more drinks. I am not sure where the busyiness came from as it seemed all those eating were relaxed, not sure if short on staff or infulence of the kitchen.

Apart from this the atmosphere was relaxed, friendly and happy.

We had the jalepenos with cream cheese to start and the were not spicy at all, not sure if they were just peppers stuffed or if the time of year they are just not as hot. But still tasty.

Mains were lovely and very filling. I had the fajitas and there was too much onion cooked with it that i had to pick half of it out. But the rest of it easily filled the 4 tortillas plus left over chicken and peppers to pick on.

We both had starteers and a min and there was no room for dessert although they looked amazing. The ice cream millionaires shortbread cake looked so nice but neither of us could fit and extra bite in so did not have it.

Overall a very good restuarant with food. We felt the food we had was worth the price as very generous portion sizes for the food we ordered.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologise if you felt the staff seemed very busy, our intention is that we check and double check that our customers are happy and have everything they need. I am glad you felt that our diners were relaxed and happy which is so important. I am glad you enjoyed your food and I hope we can welcome you back again.
Watford, United Kingdom
“Tasty, but over-priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Typical English-style Mexican restaurant, particularly in terms of the decor. The food was nice, but far from authentic (black beans instead of pinto beans, the enchilada sauce was more like salsa, etc). It was also very expensive for what you got. My husband ordered a medium-sized burrito, which very strangely came wrapped in paper, that came with a little bit of unimpressive rice and a salad garnish for £12. My pulled pork endchilada (one, normally come as two small rolls) was delicious, but far more like a burrito than an enchilada and could have come with some beans or something at £13. We spent £40 on two main, two Sols and a side of beans and rice for our daughter. Tasty food, but over-priced and not authentic, thus just your average English Mexican restaurant.

Visited June 2013
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry in some instances we did not live up to your expectations. Every restaurant has their own way of serving food and I know our Mexican chef will be upset to read that you do not feel the food to be authentic. All our food is of the highest quality and freshly prepared and cooked to order by, as I said previously, our Mexican chef. I do hope we will see you again when you next visit Newquay.
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My friends and I were first time visitors of Newquay and our trip had been extra memorable after dining out at the Mexican Cantina just in the heart of the town centre. It was my friend's post-birthday celebration so we were looking for a restaurant near our hotel, and we saw an advert in a tourist brochure/pamphlet. When we entered the restaurant, the interior 'feel' of the place felt like we weren't in Cornwall but in Mexico or anywhere in Central America with such a lively and colourful vibe. Not to mention that the music being played added up to that 'feel'. The food were 'hot' those which we ordered hot and the menu clearly specifies it. The servings were modest but the authenticity of the taste was more than satisfactory. My friends and I enjoyed the Fajitas and the 'sharer' meal options as we wanted to try something new but won't necessarily take the risk of not liking it. It is also safe to say the they have one of the best desserts I've had - Chocolate dime 'something' and that raspberry (cheesecake or cake???) served with cream/ice cream - sorry I can't remember, I guess that's how great it was that I suffered from mild amnesia after munching it. The staff were great and very helpful as well. Overall, this is a sure place to visit and dine with when you get to visit Newquay.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your great review. The desserts you liked were Chocolate Dime Bar Cake served with ice cream and Raspberry Meringue and White Chocolate Ice Cream Cake - just so you will now when you hopefully visit us again!