“Excellent hotel, superb location macthed by very friendly and professional staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Atlantic Hotel

You added The Atlantic Hotel to your Saves list
The Atlantic Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dane Road, Newquay TR7 1EN, England   |
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I chose this hotel to celebrate my wifes 50th birthday, the rooms have been refurbished to a very high contemporary standard since our last visit in 2009. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and professional; my family of six ate in the hotel restaurant called Silks which is a bistro with a contemporary style and Art deco overtones, the restaurant and food was of a very high quality.

We will definately stay here again, the location on the Atlantic coast is exceptional.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We have just returned from a weekend stay at this hotel. The hotel has just been refurbished and the sea views are wonderful. We had a great stay and ate in the Bistro in the evening. The staff are incredibly welcoming and friendly and well trained. Nothing is too much of a problem.
The food was good with a really fine breakfast to start the day. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I haven't been to the Atlantic yet, we're going there in June for a wedding, but I've just booked our room and been very unimpressed with the service received.

Yesterday I rang the hotel to book a double room for the night before and the night after the wedding and was quoted a rate which was half that on the website. I checked 4 times and the receptionist kept confirming the rate, and said she'd send a confirmation email, which she didn't do. She did, however, take a deposit.

Because I was so unsure, I rang back today and found out that, although I said 'double room' several times and mentioned my husband accompanying me, only a single room (or single occupancy) has been booked.

I've worked in the hotel industry and I know that the manager, and sometimes the receptionists, have discretionary powers when booking rooms and can give discounted rates.

On speaking to the manager about it, not only was I not offered any sort of discount because of the mistake made by the staff member, but when I asked for the discount rate for the night of the wedding, I was told that this only applies to one night stays, not two nights, i.e. if we were only staying the night of the wedding, we'd get that night at less than we're getting it at now, because we're staying the night before as well.

It is much more cost-effective for hotels to have multiple-night stays, rather than new occupants every night, due to linen change and other reasons, so I find the idea of penalising guests for staying an extra night rather extraordinary.

I'm looking forward to the wedding but I have to say, I hope they do better when one is actually staying there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stayed over night as part of a xmas package- 68pounds per person,price included 5 course evening meal,disco(large dance floor)bed and breakfast-plenty of choice for breakfast....excellent service from all the waiting staff.Large bedroom(en-suite)with sea views,very modern bathroom and huge plasma tv in bedroom area.Location was ideal if you enjoy coastal walking.The whole weekend was very enjoyable......dont be put off by newquay it self,when staying at the atlantic you are far enough away from the town,which is known for hen/stag parties-the hotel has an excellent location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009 via mobile

Stayed in August for a week in a Balcony suite room, the room is huge and has excellent facilities, modern and superb. Food was of very good quality and the breakfast is great too. The pool is very warm ( inside), and my little boy had a great time. Would recommend it to anyone, I have stayed in the Headland before several times and would say that the Atlantic is easily as good and less expensive.

• Stayed December 2009
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

We had a party at this hotel which we could not fault at all. The service, food and venue were excellent and made the day very special. We found all the staff to be most helpful and accomodating. Our room was one of the refurbished bedrooms and it was outstanding with stunning views. The breakfast the next morning was also very good and as the restuarant was not that busy the waiter offered table service rather than going up to the buffet ourselves. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed three nights at our usual Headland Hotel but fancied an extra night in Newqay so decided to go for a night at the Atlantic. This was a very strange experience! We were swayed to stay there for our love of sushi and found out that there was a sushi restaurant there. We booked online and turned up to check in.
First thing we were told - No sushi restaurant available. (Not good).
We entered our room which cannot be knocked, it was plush, nice tv, black out curtains, mini bar and the most comfortable bed in the world. Great bathroom too, small bath, but all fine.
Then, we decided a nice drink from the mini bar would be fun. Most of the spirits were emptied and replaced with different concoctions (some looked like water from the toilet) so alerted staff who apologized and fumbled around to find the best replacement they could offer.
Which leads me to the whole problem with this hotel..... the staff. They are appalling and are out of their league with such a big hotel. Nobody knows what they are doing and are very unprofessional in every aspect. The girls on reception do their best, but could be better. The varying managers that come and go are vague, to say the least.
The most disturbing member of staff is the night manager - very odd and unnerving. My partner went downstairs to ask how to control the high temperature in our room and he could not help, but was very keen to try and get into the room to see me (I am female and was in bed), all in all it was a bit odd, to say the least.
We also tried to get room service at 10pm as we fancied a snack but we were told the chefs had gone, so NO. Nothing available at all..... how hard is it for someone to throw a sandwich together?!
So I have mixed views. The room was so welcoming and comfortable (I presume this is a refurbished room), had a great nights sleep and the breakfast was fine. Everything else, quite frankly, was appalling! Great for a stopover if you don't want any extras. Don't expect anything other than a very comfortable room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!