“Happy holidays at the headland hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Headland Hotel - Newquay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fistral Beach, Newquay TR7 1EW, England   |
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Happy holidays at the headland hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have just returned from another wonderful week away staying at the Headland hotel self catering cottages. It's self catering with a difference as has daily service to make the bed , tidy and empty the bins. Literally a stones through from Fistral beach with use of the hotel facilities. It has both indoor and outdoor pools which we used and I had a relaxing time having treatments in the newly opened spa. All the staff were friendly and more than happy to help with any requests. A great location and lovely well equipped accomodation . We have booked to go again next summer .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Great news, I am delighted that you had such a successful stay with us. Our guests have all enjoyed such fantastic weather over the past couple of weeks, Fistral Beach clear blue seas and beautiful sunshine; even some huge schools of dolphins from time to time.

I am so pleased that you found the time to enjoy the Spa; our therapists are enjoying having the new Elemis product house almost as much as our guests!

Thank you for posting this review and I am delighted that you have re-booked for next summer, the Cottages become booked very quickly indeed, with many guests requesting their own favourite cottage by name!

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had lunch at the hotel whilst staying in Newquay in July and also explored the hotel and grounds itself. The views of the beach are phenomenal, the terrace was peaceful and ambient, the food was rustic and hearty and the service was truly exceptional. Even though we werent staying at the hotel the staff made us feel so welcome and I was very humbled by their friendly attitude and great customer service. The Cornish cream tea was also a winner. We've added a lovely memory to our travelling experiences by visiting the Headland! Would happily book to stay on the next visit to Cornwall.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you I am really please you found us on your exploration, I guess in many respects we hard to miss!

I do hope that you were given the full spiel about the filming of The Witches at The Headland? Many day visitors come to see us just to see the setting just for themselves.

Hopefully you will come and stay with us to that you may enjoy the simply perfect couples indulgent retreat, don't forget we have a beautiful five bubble rated spa as well!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with my sister and our respective boyfriends. We were in “Fistral 4” which I Imagine is considered one of the lesser cottages as it doesn’t have a sea-view. Well a sea view is hardly needed as the cottage itself is so beautiful. It would be a happy holiday simply gazing at the beamed ceiling and taking photos of my boyfriend standing in front of the kitchen units!

The weather over my stay was fantastic, and I was lucky enough to spend three days sitting in the sun trap pods during the day and watching the sunset over terrace in the evening. Most of the staff were outstanding. I spoke to a few who mentioned that they were working over the summer and everyone seemed relaxed and happy and therefore did a great job.

However, there were a couple of members who I thought were needlessly pompous on the bar. I am guessing they are permanent staff as I would hear them sighing “what are you trying to dooooo???” to the younger staff in an unnecessarily exasperated tone. TIP – I’m on holiday so happy to wait an extra minute for a drink but not while spending that time listening to you try and make junior members feel small if they so much as ask a question. #socringe!!!!

Room Tip: My parents stayed in the hotel and we stayed in the cottages. I personally think the cottages trump...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Many thanks for your absolutely wonderful review and choosing to share your experience of your stay in one of our Headland Cottages on this forum.
The ‘sun trap pods’ have been so popular with this recent weather and are ideal for those lazy afternoon people watching or alternatively sun gazing hours when the walk to the pool or down the path is simply too much to negotiate!
Thank you for the feedback in relation to our staff, we believe all of our staff irrespective of the job they do are the single most important asset of our business, and in order that it remains the success that it is. Apologies however that one or two of the team in the bar were giving unwelcome or un-necessary entertainment, we will have a quiet word!
Gadabout69
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Approached in the evening, this hotel looms silhouetted against the sky like an asylum in a Boris Karloff movie. When you enter its rather understated main entrance two large brass dogs welcome you along with a horses head (Godfather anyone?). Walking to our second floor room I fully expected the ghost of a nun to cross in front of me.

The room itself was dated in appearance but well equipped. The weather was hot and I could have done with air conditioning. Wifi was patchy. Mobile signal was poor. Better in the public areas.

I like to work out before breakfast and I was delighted by the well equipped gym. Joggers paradise just outside and the sea is 50 yards away if you like a morning swim, so no excuse to be flabby.

Breakfast was excellent. High quality ingredients and a very good vegetarian option. except ...that is...for the coffee which was revolting. If you value your taste buds pay extra for a cup of espresso/cappuccino.

Dinner is expensive but good. The bar serves well cooked bar snacks but again pricey and you can do better in town.

This hotel is comfy in all respects, glamorous in a touchingly retro way but it is outstanding for two things. One is its stunning location and the other is the most amazingly good service that you get from every member of staff. This is consistent professionalism of the highest order.

Room Tip: The sea side of the hotel will get dreadfully hot in summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for such a nice and detailed review.

Our hotel is a grand iconic property and truly unique both on the exterior and interior, but surely welcoming none the less! We have a variety of rooms, no two of which are the same, some more traditional and some more modern. Low power mobile devices do suffer loss of WiFi connection in certain areas which will be upgraded during the next off peak season.

A jog on the coastal path over Newquay's beaches is a wonderful way to start the day. As you mentioned, our new gym is well equipped for most styles of workout. And you're right, with 3 places to swim, the sea, outdoor pool or indoor pool there is no shortage of choices for a morning swim.

Finally, thank you for mentioning our team. It is always nice to hear that all our efforts are appreciated and rest assured I will pass on your appreciation to the team.

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Such a stunning hotel in a amazing location. We have visited before & really enjoy staying at the hotel. Amazing views & close to the town, great breakfast in the morning. So much choice & fantastic quality with friendly staff. It's only downfall is the expense. The room was very basic & small for so much money for the price you would expect a more boutique hotel room. Hoping to visit next time a offer or deal comes up. Having a robe in the rooms is a great touch.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your experience.

As I have said before in previous responses, we pride ourselves in using the freshest local ingredients wherever possible.The views are splendid and we are a short walk from town but away from the busy centre.

Thank you for coming to visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This is our third time back to the Headland this year - the fact that dogs are so welcome is a huge plus point for us and Ralph the pug was fussed over by everyone. This time we could only get a cottage overlooking the tennis courts but that was no problem at all - no noise and a view of the sea from the garden. Cottage was excellently equipped and two good size en suite bathrooms made sure we didn't want for anything apart from maybe one more cupboard in the kitchen!
Staff, as always, are incredibly friendly and helpful - particularly Sarah and Tom at reception and Andres and Matt (I think) in the bar.
There is a new chef apparently and while kidney beans in the bolognaise sauce didn't work, the chili and coriander Eton mess was great.
Although we are booked in for next summer, I am hoping we can squeeze in another couple of trips before then.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for a wonderful review.

I looks like you really have caught the Headland bug! The cottages are a really wonderfully peaceful place to spend a few days away.

I have passed on your appreciation to Sarah, Tom, and Andres who are happy to hear they made your stay an enjoyable one.

We'll see you next summer if not before!

Tamworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have been visiting the cottages for the last 5 years and we are huge fans having stayed in 7 different cottages with varying numbers of friends and family

They cottages have everything you could possibly need along with great views of the sea. An added bonus is the welcome they give our dogs.

The only down side I would say is the slow service in the hotel. On our last visit we waited an inordinate amount of time waiting for hot drinks - and they arrived they werent hot. They seem to have plenty of staff on and I can understand them not wanting staff to race around but surely a little more urgency wouldnt go amiss. Having said that we will continue to return to the Headlands but will take our coffee and food business elsewhere - for the prices charged for food and drink I would expect to recieve them quicker.

Great location and friendly staff

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and returning year after year.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience with slow service and I will address this with the teams and their managers.

I am glad you enjoy your time with us however and hope you continue to do so for years to come.

Jamie

Been to The Headland Hotel - Newquay? Share your experiences!