“Never fails to deliver” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Lichfield
“Never fails to deliver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is our fifth stay at the Headland Hotel and really pushed the boat out this time as it was my 40th - with a third floor family suite. The room was clean, spacious and the views were spectacular but I can not honestly say it was worth the £300.00 premium over other rooms we have stayed in.
Staff were attentive and could not do enough, they quickly attended to a fault in our room and our children (11 & 12) were very busy with all on offer both in the Hotel and within Newquay.
One pointer - I was pretty staggered by the foul language coming out of the Central Bar (in Newquay Town Centre and nothing to do with Headland) so early in the Evening when we went in for some dinner (6.30pm) - avoid like the plague unless you want to give your children an unusual social education - see separate review.
We ate in the restaurant for the first time and the food on offer was limited but superb. Go Scallops and Lobster!!! The new Spa and pool areas were equally good.

Room Tip: Great deals on family rooms without a sea view - if you do want a sea view then go for it but you do...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I am truly delighted that you made the Headland Hotel you destination of choice for the fifth consecutive time. I’d like to personally thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor your experience with us as this is crucial for our sustainability and for our constant development. Congratulations once again for your 40th and I’m delighted that you treated yourself and your family in this occasion. Although, I am sorry about your experience in town; maybe a few people would benefit from a few lessons of appropriate language. I look forward to welcoming you again at The Headland soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Great hotel, lovely food, great staff, great service but LOTS of dogs and noisy children!!! Welcome was warm and the hotel is in great condition considering it's age. The views from the lounge, terrace and dining room were outstanding. The spa/leisure facilities were brilliant. Loved the steam room, sauna and jacouzi and the massage was perfect. However, you need to love dogs and noisy children as there were plenty of these!! Difficult to find a quiet space to relax if you are on an unwinding break , though there was plenty of places to walk to, especially along the beach early evening. The only other disappointment was the size of the bedroom. It was very clean, the beds were exceedingly comfortable, the bathroom lovely, but the room was very small!!! If you want a larger room then pay more!! Overall a lovely break, would consider visiting again because of the great service, but perhaps at a less busy time!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a description of view over a courtyard. We looked into a small yard and when our w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Headland. I would like to thank you for your honest feedback and for taking the time to share it on Trip advisor. The Headland Hotel is a very popular family and dog friendly hotel. During Half Term or other holidays plenty of families travel to Newquay to enjoy the hospitality of the Headland. However, we do have few rooms to relax and enjoy tranquillity and when the weather is permitting, the Terrace outside with its spectacular Veranda is a true haven. Looking forward seeing you again at the Headland.
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a very 'homely' hotel. The rooms are slightly outdated, but it did not matter to me. The food was excellent ( especially the crab). The pool looked a little small to me for a 'real' swim, so I did not bother. The staff were attentive and very interactive. I felt very well looked after. I think that the prices are a little high considering that there are other properties available in the area for cheaper prices, but not that disappointing. My bed was not that comfortable though. Breakfast was slightly disappointing, but still enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share to the world your experience with us at the Headland. Feedback is essential, it allows us to move forward and truthfully feel the pulse of our venue. I am glad that you found the Headland ‘Homely’ it is great proof of success as this is our goal. I can read that not everything reached your expectations. I can assure you that our objective is to reach your entire satisfaction and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention. I look forward to welcoming you back at The Headland soon.
Worksop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Just had our wedding at the Hotel and it was Simply Fantastic and we can not thank all the staff there enough. The events planer Claire was so friendly and easy to talk to and made sure that everything we asked for happened the way we wanted it to but also had plenty of help and advice and made sure we had a great parking space for our camper van Emily so we could get some great photos of her. From the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out we could not find any fault with the hotel or it's staff who were all very polite and helpful. On the day of the wedding we were in the very capable hands of Luke and his team who could not do enough for us and ensured everything ran smoothly and all the guests knew were they had to be and what was happening. The wedding breakfast was some of the best food i have ever tasted and a big thank you to the chef and kitchen staff. The meal was served on time and hot and everyone's wine glass was constantly filled . We are so Glad we booked our wedding at the Headland as we have come away with only great memories of our day and no bad ones and lots of lovely compliments from our guests. The only complaint i have is that i nearly missed my wedding because the bed was so comfortable that that i didn't want to get out and leave the view that i had from my windows. Thank you all again for a great day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I am absolutely delighted that you chose The Headland to celebrate one of the most important days of your life. Thank you for taking the time to write about your special day, it was a real pleasure to read such great feedback. I’ll ensure to share your message to our entire team. Once again, congratulations and I wish you a long life of happiness and I hope we will see you again at the Headland soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

If you like it doggy style this hotel is perfection.I did see write a lot of dog poo everywhere.
The staff serve dogs first, clients second. My poodle loved it but it did have an accident on the carpet. The staff soon cleaned it up though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
I am delighted that you recently stayed with us, albeit the title of your posting and some of its contents, would benefit from a little tweaking to say the least, and in the interests of giving an accurate account for the benefit of other Trip Advisor users.

The Headland benefits from extremely generous grounds, that surround the entire property and comprise of football pitch, The Cottage Village, our own 9 hole approach course, coastal path and of course the UK’s best known surfing stretch which is, Fistral Beach.

Dogs may stay at the hotel at a nightly charge and are allowed in public areas, but not in either of our restaurants as you would expect. Owners will be requested to remove their dogs by our staff, if they see them on our soft furnishings. In contrast to your posting we do not serve dogs, anything other than in the provision of proprietary dog food by request. I am delighted that a member of our team took care of your poodle’s little accident, although I am fairly confident that had any of our managers had seen this they may not have done anything more than provided the appropriate equipment for you!
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed recently in a one bedroom cottage /first floor apartment for five nights (Beach 2). Staying in the apartments we had all the benefits of self catering but could also use the pool and other hotel facilities. The apartment was cleaned to a high standard and staff came in daily to make beds and empty bins etc. The view from the accommodation was wonderful, overlooking fistral beach and the coast and also had the benefit of a balcony. Staff at the hotel reception and Terrace bar/restaurant were helpful and friendly especially when we had a fault develop in the bathroom radiator and the maintenance team attended very quickly to sort it. We had one evening meal in the terrace restaurant, the meal was good but the menu was very limited so if you wanted to eat there most evenings during your stay I think you would be a bit disappointed with the selection available. This hotel is very dog friendly and we were definitely in the minority by not having a dog, however this did not cause any problems other than I was quite surprised that dogs could accompany their owners everywhere apart the restaurants. I would consider staying here again but like other reviewers I would want an apartment with the all important sea/beach views, lovely sunsets and star gazing over the darkness of the sea.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
It was most pleasing to read your review and I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Headland. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am glad that our Cottage reached your expectations. I have passed on your comments regarding the choices of the menus in the Restaurant. I can guarantee you that when mention in advance, our chef is always happy to provide a dish as requested. But we ensure that our choices vary on rotational basis.Thank you and I am looking forward to seeing you again at the Headland very soon!
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the headland Hotel on the 3rd floor, the ocean view was well worth it. It was a shame that the lower windows didnt open. The bed was a tad hard for my taste. But I managed to sleep. The breakfast was very good, however get in early as it gets busy. We had a lunch in the terrice lounge which was very enjoyable, even though we were looking out at the rain. The service was very good. We had dinner in the resturant and found this expensive for what you got and there was no chicken or any white meat to be had. What we had was good and well presented. The resturants need to look at more ways for vegitarians food as risto is becoming tiresome.
The service in the resturant was slow and you felt like you were left alone for some time. They were a bit rushed. The excusses of a weddin on did not wash, as they had plenty of time to plan. Unless it was decided over night to hold the wedding!
Shall visit again.

Room Tip: Pay for the rooms on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at The Headland. I am grateful that you have been honest in your feedback which allows us to improve our service to our guests move forward and please be assured that your feedback has been discussed with our food and beverage team. I could assure you that the wedding wasn’t plan last minute and we had plenty of time to honour your stay and to reach your expectations. I understand from your feedback that we failed on a few aspects of your experience with us and I do apologise for that. Please feel free to communicate with me to discuss our course of action following your comments. Until then, we look forward having you again at the Headland Hotel in Newquay.

Been to The Headland Hotel - Newquay? Share your experiences!