“Fantastic Break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our stay at the Headland was the best yet! The hotel has had a lot of work done since our previous stays and it's very noticeable. Our suite was absolutely fantastic, freshly decorated and very tasteful.
Service remains at the best levels we have ever experienced globally.
The food and service in the main restaurant was excellent although due to the hot weather and a problem with the restaurant windows the room was quite warm.
We look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: Suite 210 is the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to review the hotel. It is very nice to hear the comments regarding the new additions to the hotel from our guests who have stayed previously – and there are more changes in the pipeline! The Spa is to open in the next few weeks and everyone here at the hotel is very excited to see it unveiled!
I shall be sure to pass your gratitude onto the staff, we have a wonderful team working here and I am always so pleased to read the positive response from our guests. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Headland.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My brother and I stayed at 'The Headland' for five nights last week whilst touring Cornwall. The hotel is a great place to stay with modern facilities combined with the character of a late nineteenth century building. Eating out on the terrace in the evening is a must with the sunset views. The indoor pool, steam room and sauna area is superb. We missed the gym but this is part of the second construction phase which will be completed imminently. The staff were always helpful, friendly and do an excellent job. Definitely will be returning as I can't imagine a better location in Newquay, especially with the investment that is planned for the future. When the sun is shining, Cornwall is difficult to beat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I can’t argue with that – Cornwall is even more of a special place when the sun is shining! It looks like we are actually going to have a proper summer this year too. I am so glad that you and your brother had such a lovely break away and got to take advantage of all the facilities. The gym will be open soon; we are very excited to unveil the new Spa. On your next visit no doubt you will see some changes. I hope it is not too long before you both return to The Headland.
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night whilst on business in March.
The location is excellent, right on the beach and close to all the hustle & bustle of Newquay town centre.
The building is old and the rooms are a little bit dated however it seems to add charm and character to this grand old hotel.
The staff are very welcoming and helpful and even walk you to your room on check in.
I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food but the menu looked pretty decent and I will definitely try the restaurant next time I'm staying in Newquay.
I will return in the future and would recommend but please don't expect a modern, contemporary looking room because that isn't what this hotel is about.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. In fact on our third floor we do have a few rooms which are contemporary in design as we know that some people like the clean lines of modern décor. The hotel itself is Victorian and the majority of the rooms are decorated to reflect the Grandeur and keep the character of the building alive.
I look forward to seeing you again on your return to The Headland.
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding location, with fantastic views. We stayed in a very nice and large family suite. The hotel has a great spa and an older heated outdoor pool. I read the hotel wants to be a five star hotel. I guess the hotel would need better staff management to be successful in archieving this goal.

• Stayed July 2013
I’d like to thank you for taking time to post a review of The Headland. I am pleased to read how happy you were with your room and the facilities. With regards to your other comments I would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly so you can discuss this in more detail. We would be delighted to hear from you.
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at The Headland Hotel for a week in June as we have done since 2000. Each year we are delighted to see better facilities and the care and concern from staff superb. We had an excellant room overlooking Fistral Bay with exceptional views and the disabled facilities were superb. The Terrace restaurant cateres for all dietry needs and the staff are so attentive and cheerful.They always welcome you and offer a table asap especially when they are busy. The Chef and his staff go out of their way to accomodate any dietry requirements which is good as this year my hubby had just had an operation and was on such a bland diet,I did worry but my fears were all allayed as the chef came personally to check his meals and offered a better choice than we predicted.

The restaurant was lovely with the Headland Sunset something of a gem but we missed Tony playing the piano. The staff were so helpful which made our stay so relaxed after our initial worry with my hubbys aftercare.

Robert the porter was so welcoming and so very helpful as my hubby is also severely disabled and can only offer little help to me. The reception staff were most welcoming and greeted us so friendly such a pleasure

Facilities are still being improved and despite work taking place it did not hinder our enjoyment as even the workmen were cheerful.

We did venture into the town but came back for a lunch in the terrace as it was good and value for money. Hopefully we will be back in 2014. Betty & Ray Lowe

Room Tip: Disabled facilities excellant in room 344
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was our pleasure to have you both stay with us. I am very proud of the staff here; they do really go out of their way to assist our guests in any way that they require. I am sorry to hear that your husband was poorly, however I am pleased to hear that he was able to relax in our lovely surroundings and enjoy some food freshly prepared for him. The facilities are indeed being renovated, the Spa is almost finished and the builders we have on site are very friendly which does make a difference to our guests. We thank all of our guests for their patience during the renovations; I hope that you will join us again in the near future where you will be able to see the completed works. I wish your husband a speedy recovery and it will be our pleasure to welcome you both back to The Headland.
SOUTHAMPTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Incredible. Perfection. True 5 Star. I could go on and on and on. Firstly we travel often and these days often joke we are hard to impress. Well the Headland managed it on every level. We stayed in one of the one bed cottages which was simply gorgeous. Decor is both stylish and cute, english seaside chic. The view was breathtaking and the bed was comfortable. Also immaculatly clean. The hotel itself is grand as you would expect but with no hoity feel to it. The staff were friendly, welcoming and proffesional and I felt like nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a very small incident, which I informed the manager about simply to let him know and in no means expecting anything in return. Not only did I feel listened to and my comments taken seriously and onboard but he very kindly treated us to Afternoon Tea (which was devine and I will absolutely be doing again next trip.) Whilst this was not needed, we very much appreciated the gesture and were made to feel very special. We chatted with Greg, the manager, for a while afterwards and he's a real asset to the Headland. It's abundantly clear that their guests happiness is at the top of their priorities. We also took a cream tea on the Terrace and that too was, yep you guessed it, wonderful. The views are superb. I'm ashamed to say I never knew a destination such as this exsisted in the UK. Perfect location to walk into town, takes a couple of minutes where there are some great little seaside spots and some lovely pubs/bars with those fabulous views once again. Sainsburys is a 2 minute drive so don't be caught out like we did and stop and the Spar on the way. Much more expensive and not as much to offer. The beach is right there and beautiful. Overall, we were just blown away by the Headland. I literally cannot recommend it highly enough. We cannot wait to find an excuse to go back. I didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Pick the cottages if you like a beautifully designed place to stay with a ton of room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Well the warm weather is expected to last into August so I hope that is a good reason to return! I am delighted to read such a positive and detailed review. It is truly our pleasure and it does really make my day when I read such kind comments from our customers. Greg is indeed an asset to the hotel, and I am pleased he was able to rectify an issue that arose. Our afternoon and creams teas are all freshly made using fine, local ingredients and prepared by our top class chefs who really do take pride in their work, I shall be sure to pass your kind words onto them.
If any guests stay in the self-catering cottages then we are on hand to advise of the local places to shop or, if preferred we do have deliveries from local farm shops which we can arrange to be taken to your door.

We hope to see you again very soon. With best wishes from everyone at The Headland.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Headland Hotel for 3 nights this week. Our room was lovely a Fistral Beach Suite. Lovely bathroom, spare room and bedroom. It didn't have any air conditioning but the weather is unusually hot for this time of year. The location is the best thing about the Headland. You are away from the town centre, which has seen better days. The beach is 50 metres away, plus the beach bar and cafes and any amount of surfing training you need. There is a lovely terrace where you can take morning coffee, or watch the sun set across the Atlantic ocean wrapped in a blanket, snuggled into comfy outdoor chairs - I would definitely suggest doing this! The new spa facilities are great and on a par with some of the spa's on offer abroad. What lets this hotel down is the detail. When you are paying £200 plus per night you expect the best. 95% of the staff couldn't be more helpful and then you get the odd one of two who are down right miserable and seem like they no interest in being there. We only ate breakfast at the hotel which was OK, we had to send back our boiled eggs twice as they were hard and we had been offered soft boiled and the freshly squeezed orange juice had been watered down, both these things were rectified by really lovely happy, smiling staff! The bar is very different to the rest of the hotel, I thought it was a bit mish mashy but my husband liked it? What we both thought was awful was the 100's of glasses left on the bar towards the end of the evening, not what you want to see in particularly in hotel of this supposed standard. Overall we enjoyed our stay but feel let down on the poor leadership this hotel lacks hugely. If they could get the teams sorted, the housekeeping of the bar area sorted and the attention to detail this would be worth the price. Would I stay again,no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel - Newquay, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I must agree that the Terrace is a wonderful place to relax during the day and a lot of our guests stay well into the evening too! The views are just spectacular and coupled with this wonderful weather we've had recently this is an even more enticing place to be. Our Spa is almost completed, and the Spa pool that was built last year has been a huge success, it is a wonderful compliment to have been compared to the Spa's you have seen abroad, thank you very much for the praise.
Thank you too for your helpful and constructive comments. I will certainly ensure that all of these points are addressed with the relevant staff members and departments.

Been to The Headland Hotel - Newquay? Share your experiences!