“Top quality Indian Food and really friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 180 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant in the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
St. Austell
“Top quality Indian Food and really friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My girlfriend and a couple of friends of mine get serious withdrawal symptoms if we don't get to have a meal at the Maharajah once a week. I lived in Leicester for five years and my friends lived in Birmingham, and the quality of the food exceeds anything we have eaten in those two cities and this is in Cornwall! The restaurant has a really friendly vibe and it is always busy. The food is exceptional and they don't stint on portions.One of my favourite dishes is the Kodapuri which is a hot dish packed with flavour. Unlike some Indian restaurants, if you like it hot, then they don't fail to deliver. However, my girlfriend often has the Pasanda which is a very mild dish, but that too is really rich in taste and flavour. I'm particularly impressed with the Biriani they do here. All too often with a Biriani you get the Rice dish with a really insipid Curry dish to accompany it. Not so here; both the Rice and the Curry are packed full of flavours and ingredients.
The owner Saleem is a real character and always remembers the locals and the regulars, and often has a bit of cheeky banter which I really enjoy.
All in all a superb restaurant which I can't recommend highly enough!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“magic place, magic food and warm welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

we were working down in newquay for 6 weeks fitting out a shop. we were treated to delicious food and service on our weekly visits to the Maharajah which served exceptional mouth watering currys. the owner even dropped of some wonderful indian snacks to us during lunch as a total surprise. if your in Newquay it a must visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
I am pleased you have enjoyed your meals (and the lunch snacks!) and look forward to serving you again.
London, United Kingdom
“The best Indian restaurant outside London.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was in Newquay again last week and revisited The Maharajah for the 5th time. Without doubt this restaurant is well worth going to. The quality of food & service is second to none. I have been to several top Indian restaurants in London and other major cities throughout UK and this one at Newquay matches them all. I had the opportunity to see their kitchen when I visited last and I was astonished to see the cleanliness. It was so clean it was every bit as good as a dentist surgery. It goes without saying this restaurant is a must to visit.
Mr JH

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your great review. I do hope you will come and see us again soon.
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Great food and friendly service with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was in newquay on business and visited the Maharajah for food. I was made to feel very welcome by the Staff, the food was excellent and the service was prompt with a friendly smile, which made the experience very enjoyable, I would definitely recommend this establishment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your great review and your recommendation. I hope we will see you again soon.
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Fantastic curry house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Everything about this restaurant from the moment you step in, oozes quality and attention to detail. The waiting staff are very friendly and efficient and the food is exceptional. Probably one of the best Indian restaurants I've eaten in (I am a member of the Curry Club).
The sea view from the table I was allocated to was excellent with a lovely ambience, supplemented by a superb meal. I recommend you try their chicken madras (one of the best I've ever had).
Pricing is on a par with similar restaurants but the quality of the food is simply exceptional. Great value for money. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
I am so pleased you enjoyed what we have to offer at the restaurant and hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.