“Great food, great views” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 180 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant in the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Watford
“Great food, great views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I and two teenage boys ate here in August 2013. The views are breathtaking so it is worth either reserving a table or like us eat earlier to get a table by the large bay window. The food was delightful and was worth the price. Nice atmosphere and tv cams showing the view if you were not lucky to be by the windows. Because of the view it is worth choosing a nice evening. We had pompadoms as a starter four main meals with three side orders and nans two beers two cokes large glass of wine and a j20 and under a hundred pounds. Happy days

Visited August 2013
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased the whole family enjoyed thier meal and like us you feel for our fantastic views as well as the food! Hope to see you again soon.

“Awful glass in food and rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Have previously eaten at this restaurant and enjoyed the experience although after the last visit I would advise people to avoid this restaurant. There was glass in my main meal. When I spoke to the head waiter about it he was rude and did little to appease the situation. To add insult to injury I was also unwell following what little I did eat. Disgusting food and staff

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
I am sure you realise that we are all very surprised and shocked to read your review. I have spoken to the head waiter about the occurrence and would like to share his comments with our readers.

The restaurant was busy when 3 couples came in, they were all apparently in a good mood and seemed to be enjoying themselves. They enjoyed their appetisers, starters and had a bottle of wine with their main courses, they were asked after about 10 minutes, as is the restaurant’s policy, if everything was alright with their meal. There were no complaints. After a little while the customers appeared to slow down, which is often found in any restaurant, as they started to get full. I was then called to the table and in a very aggressive manner told that there was glass in one of the meals which could have broken a tooth. I was given what appeared to be a piece of green glass which was confusing because we do not use any glass in the kitchen and no green glass in the restaurant. I then took the piece of ‘glass’ to the kitchen to double check but no glass was used in our kitchen, all staff use plastic glasses for their drinks. I then checked in the bar but the ‘glass’ was too thick to have been from one of our glasses. I offered to show the gentleman the kitchen so he could see that we do not use glass but he refused and the whole party began to become threatening. I am a very experienced waiter and did not want the situation to escalate. I stated that I did not know where the ‘glass’ could have come from and handed the piece back to the customer, unfortunately he dropped it, the others in his party were still eating even though they did not know where the ‘glass’ had landed. The customer then went to the front of the restaurant and demanded our accident book, he was told there was no accident and no-one was hurt so it would have served no purpose. When he continued the staff felt threatened so passed the book to him, he filled it in and came to find me in the restaurant demanding I sign it. I was told that he would have the restaurant shut down and we would be sued for thousands of pounds. I offered the gentleman the name and telephone number of the correct authority for him to make a complaint but he was not interested. I was then told that the customers did not want to pay for any of their meal and when I reminded them that they had eaten the majority of the food they became very abusive. The party then started going round to the staff asking them if they had seen the glass, interrupting the staff again telling them they would have the restaurant closed, sued for thousands of pounds and they would lose their jobs. I apologise if they thought I was rude, it was not my intention. We agreed to reduce their bill by a considerable amount but instead of accepting this, they accosted people entering the restaurant telling them not to eat here unless they wanted glass in their food.

We are the first to apologise if we have got things wrong, no-one is perfect. We try to overcome any difficulties immediately, we have been in business for over 33 years so know more than a little about the hospitality trade, however we do expect our customers to behave in a respectful manner certainly towards other customers and towards our staff. We have taken the complaint very seriously, have spoken to our suppliers but as we cook all our own sauces and dishes from fresh ingredients we still do not have any idea where this piece of material came from. Again I would like to apologise if you felt our head waiter was rude, the majority of our customer reviews would disagree, they think our staff are exceptional as do we. I genuinely feel your review to be unfair, especially the comment about feeling unwell following what little you did eat and grossly misleading to any of the Trip Advisor readers.
“I Crave The Korma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely love coming here, my husband and i come here every couple of months and have never faulted the place
He is currentlly working overseas in the army and the Maharaja is top of our list to visit in 2 weeks when he returns.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back when he returns to this country.
London, United Kingdom
“We have pased this place a few times and thought we give it a go after do many people said its the best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I can say its was amazing, the food was very high quality, great people very friendly and very very child friendy. We took out two boys aged 11 and 4 and the kids loved the good. With an amazing view of the beach overlooking also they had live footage on a flat screen telly and my boys loved it.
I have been to so many Indian restaurants and I can honestly say it was the best.
Please go and have a Indian curry you will not be disappointed and you shall have happy kids.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased to enjoyed your meal and even more pleased your boys did as well - the next generation of Indian food connoisseurs! Hope we can welcome you back soon.
“Amazing food amazing view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff, great location, fantastic sea view whilst you eat, and food out of this world!!! Absolutely gorgeous definitely recommend it!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
What can I say? What a great review - thank you. Please come and see us again soon.