“Great food and great view” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 180 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant in the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Great food and great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and stunning views across Newquay bay. As a local I will be happy to recommend this place to all visitors.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great takeaway as good tasting as sitting in!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great taste, good value, would definitely recommend. Takeaway option avoided the crowds on this occasion.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your take-away. Our chefs freshly cook all our dishes for both the restaurant and our takeaway so the high quality is the same. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
“Nice food but no friendliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went here in May 2013 as on inspection the menu looked really nice. True to its word the food was very good, not the best Indian meal I've ever had but it was good all the same.

The only thing that bugged me was that we really didn't get the wow factor from the service.
The waiters were very dour looking, never smiled once at us or interacted or engaged on any level - it was robotic & unfriendly service and so I won't be dining here again on that basis.

I'm a very friendly, smiling person so I did actually try to chat and get some engagement from the waiters as I do like to give the benefit of doubt, but I would have gotten a better reaction from my fork!

I think if you operate a restaurant, you owe it to your business to be hospitable, charming & friendly. Even if the food is not the best, outstanding service & a memorable experience will always sway even the harshest critic - pity these guys don't know the value of a smile or a friendly chat with their customers - it was just a let down really.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review but I must admit to being surprised and in fact shocked by your comments regarding our staff. I am sorry that you felt the staff to be unfriendly. In 99% of our reviews we are complimented on the attitude, knowledge and friendliness of our staff, please look at the reviews - iI haven't exagerated. We have obviously taken note of your comments and will investigate this to see where the lack of communication arose. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again.
London, United Kingdom
“Best Indian In Cornwall!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great Indian restaurant tucked in Newquay coupled with a charismatic owner who knows how to entertain his clients. Excellent staff and quality food. Will definitely visit again when I am next in Cornwall

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and our fantastic views. The owner is legendary! Come back and see us again soon please.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“I dont use Trip Advisor but for this place I had too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Firstly, a bit of background...I travel a lot and enjoy staying in a number of hotels. During this time I visit a high number of restaurants. For the people looking for a quick answer ... THIS IS SIMPLY THE BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT I HAVE BEEN TOO, NATIONALLY. To think it is in the same country as me is a blessing.

This being our first time in Newquay we wanted to visit a nice restaurant for some good food. Talking to 2 locals (taxi driver and shop assistant) both suggested Maharajah before any other restaurant. We took this as a sign.

This is the first time I have eaten a meal and felt regret...regret knowing the location of this restaurant is 2.5 hours away from me, and I wont be able to visit more often.

Value for money + Quality of food
We arrived with a party of 6, without a booking. Although they were busy. they were happy to accommodate us. We waited with drinks in the bar area, we were told it would be a 30 minute wait, and it was very close to this. We were happy.

We went for a meal for 6 option. Which gave us 6 starters and a variety of curry dishes (all different strength of tastes). This also included a lot of side dishes and desert for all. This worked out at around £20 each. The dishes were laid out in front of us and this gave us the option to try all varieties of currys and sides. the party included 4 large men..which didn't manage to finish the dishes. We were surprised ourselves!!
Some members of the party cannot handle hot food, the options given in regards to curry dishes ment this was not a problem, in fact they walked out liking Indian food!

Location - Centre of Newquay, but not in the heart of. Those looking for a quiet relaxed night out, will not find themselves in the hussle of clubs and it's music. but those looking to go out for drinks afterwards, will find this is in very short walking distance to the clubs.

Scenic view - It over looks the beach. Amazing views, couples should visit just to watch the sunset!

Staff - Staff are all friendly and helpful. Staff very experienced, the timing of refreshments and delivery/taking away of food was very good. Customer service is where I felt Maharajah were unrivaled. Staff are happy to have a talk and joke with you, they don't just come up and ask the usual "is everything okay with your meal?" , they have more confidence then that.

Ricki - Mauritius

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Wow! what more can I add - thank you so much for a fantastic review. I know Bristol is a long way away but please come and see us again soon.