“Great Value for Money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 109 Newquay B&B and Inns
Stoke Gifford, null, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a family room.
Although my first impression from the outside was that it was a bit old and was going to be awful, I couldn't have been happier. The lovely 'Bridy' was very friendly and helpful, the room was nice and clean, enough space for all 5 of us, with a nice modern bathroom, lovely hot water etc. The full English breakfast was very nice too.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room on the first floor, where you had a great view of town and the sea!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was a return visit to Tir Chonail for me, and it has been consistently good. The owner is very friendly and helpful, the room was large, plenty of storage. The bathroom had recently been redecorated, and everywhere was clean and spotless. The breakfast was excellent, and they were able to accommodate my schedule. I frequently come to Newquay for short trips, and this is by far one of the nicest places I've stayed for such a reasonable price. There is limited parking at the rear of the property, but in my experience any parking in Newquay is a bonus!!
I was able to come and go as pleased, and have always had a welcome reception. I would recommend Tir Chonaill, and will stay here again on future trips
Note: I have read some of the other reviews on here, and really feel they are unfair! I have been here twice in the past 2 years, and never had any of the problems mentioned!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

group of 8 girls stayed here for one night whilst going out in newquay, good sized rooms we had four in each one double two singles nice sized bathroom, very dated decor, car parking very very tight if you have a half decent car id pay to park down the road in public car park.
tea and coffee in room.
breakfast was ok but soaked in too much oil/fat.
very close to town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Redditch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Where do I start? Everything about the place is dated - from Decor to service. We were greeted after 5 minutes of trying to get someone's attention. Car parking facilities are abysmal - chances are it will be scratched. The room smelt old and the bed was uncomfortable. Everything creeks and the place is generally unpleasant.
Breakfast was inedible - I mean I couldn't even eat my beans it was that greasy and horrible.

Despite being told back doors were locked at 10pm, we went back to get changed for dinner at 6pm and it was locked and the front door was on the latch, we were locked out for almost 40 minutes before another guest came to let us in.

The owner is rude and abrasive and I refuse to pick out anything good other than location. It is ridiculously expensive for the appalling, disgraceful quality. Worst stay EVER.

Room Tip: There are no such things as facilities, and there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night on the 26 August, while our daughters were celebrating our niece's hen night elsewhere in Newquay.
A lovely warm welcome and were shown to a spacious room with all amenities.
Plenty of tea and coffee and I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room and bathroom.
Breakfast included a range of cereals and the tables were set with plenty of milk and fruit juice.
Cooked breakfast also included.
Would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Only stayed for one night and the room was large, very clean and had a good quantity of tea/coffee sachets and enough milk to match!

The huge window was perfect on a hot night, and although front-facing on a main road I only heard traffic - no people noise at all... this surprised me as it was only a few minutes’ walk into the centre of Newquay.

I didn’t use their car park as the Cornwall Council site just opposite offers free parking 6pm to 9am (ish). Left too early for breakfast but did see people eating and it looked great.

Very friendly owner and would stay again next time I'm in Newquay.

Room Tip: I booked a triple room and requested a shower
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Four of us girls stayed here for 2 nights and we were made to feel very welcome.
The rooms were nice and very clean and we had a lovely breakfast. Good location not to far from the town prob a 5 min walk but we got taxis to the beach. I would recommend to others, better than other hotels nearby and i know this because some of our group stayed at another hotel which was noisy and dirty! (Lowenva hotel) thanks for a lovey stay tir chonaill :-)

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Tir Chonaill Guest House? Share your experiences!