“Absolutely top value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marina Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Marina Hotel
You added Marina Hotel to your Saves list
Narrowcliff, Newquay TR7 2PL, England   |
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Newquay
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Absolutely top value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed here when visiting our son in Newquay. First impressions were not the best - tired hotel but then - what a view from our room! Shame we didn't have time to sit and admire the sea front more. Excellent service from all the staff - couldn't do enough for us. Good food nicely served, comfortable bed (and I am the worst sleeper - very picky!) nice bar with great bar staff, no complaints. Don't know how they do it at this price. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view (although it is on quite a busy road in the day time and the spotligh...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonhunt71, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us I totally agree that the view from the front overlooking Tolcarne Beach is wonderful, I think we have one of the best outlooks in Newquay. Also was great to receive you comments on the service provided I will certainly pass your remarks on to our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Travelled with National Holidays for a 4 night 5 day break, the hotel has no doubt seen better days but it was clean, functional and very warm. The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you and even the "free bar" did not cause any problems with queueing as one might expect. The food also although not cordon bleu was very wholesome and plentiful with up to 4 choices for the evening meal for the main course, the serving staff also worked very hard and with a smile.
The entainment once the compulsory bingo was played was very good also. All in all for the price we paid a very good value and entertaining break which we would stongly recommend.
As a footnote though the trips out were great and the driver was very informative just spoilt by the stops at over priced retail outlets, which were both unwanted and timewasting.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms have a great view of Tolcarne beach and the surfers that use it, just remember you...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Marina Hotel and that you found the service and food so enjoyable. I have to admit the view from the front of the Hotel is something you never get tired off we are in a prime location within Newquay overlooking the beach. I really hope we will see you back at the Marina in the future.
Chadderton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

First impressions on arrival where "wow" this is going to be a great break away. Having paid a small upgrade in advance for a sea view room, and the hotel being situated acrsos the road from the sea we were extremely pleased with the 3 night break we had booked with National Holidays. The journey had taken 8 and 1/2 hours but that included 1 hour of other town pick ups and 1 hour 45 mins of two service breaks, so in reality it only took 6 hours 15 mins! With clear motorways and the gorgeous south east scenery, the journey was fine. Once checked in to our clean but dated rooms, we had a couple of hours free time to go and explore the town which was only a 12 minute walk from the hotel. Here the town comes to life offering many shops and restaraunts, take aways and pubs, a cinema, bus and train station and lots of hotels. With a "surfer" feel/vibe to everything, this town was modern rather than the typical victorian traditional seaside towns you find full of pensioners along our coastlines. Thumbs up so far! Having found a "wetherspoons" pub The Towyn Blystra, we had a few swift ones before heading back for dinner. As the hotel offers All-Inclusive, following our tasty 3 course meal with wine, we headed into the bar for our 3 hours of free booze!!!! Yes yes yes! Unfortunately the entertainment was catering for anyone who had lived through 1950's meaning the music was rubbish and the comedian wasn't so good. But this was our first night so we didn't let it spoil anything and once the all inclusive had finished we headed into Newquay town and danced and drank the night away. The next day after a nice cooked english brecky we paid £7.50 return to visit the EDEN project. Entry normally costs £22 per person but with a bus ticket you get £4 off each, so we saved £8. And its definately worth a day out here but you will need lots of time to look around, so plan a full day. The bus (527) stops outside opposite the hotel and drops you off right at the EDEN project. After our fantastic day out we headed back again for dinner and the all inclusive drinks, but thats where our break went downhill. The entertainer Mr Phil Lately, in my opinion should not be working in this industry. He first got in a mood with the audience because only a third of people had bought bingo tickets so demanded everyone in the bar be quiet for the benefit of the others who had paid for tickets! After bingo he seemed to me, to be in a bit of a disgruntled mood when no one was laughing at his "christmas cracker" type jokes, and when he started singing people got up and left. There was a group of 12 women laughing and joking in the corner which frustrated him, and because there was 4 of us quietly playing cards, he came over and asked us to leave if we weren't here to watch him! How rude! We were so enmbarrased in front of everyone. Why pick on us when he had a rowdy bunch of women in the other corner, who were more distracting than us quietly playing cards! Anyway we did leave and we put a formal complaint in to the manager who apologised and told us we shouldn't have been asked to leave. Day 3 and after another yummy breakfast it was a bus ride for us again (£7.50 return on bus 556 across from hotel). This is a fabulous harbour town were we sampled our first ever "cream tea". Absoloutly delicious. After a walk around the village and some shopping we headed back to the hotel for our last night of food and drink. Thank goodness this evening was much better that night two, as we had a lovely young lady singer who didnt mind us playing cards and infact got us all joining in with her songs. Girls versus boys etc and we even played "Irish Bingo" which was lots of fun and nothing like the traditional bingo played the night before. On our departure day at breakfast we gave Mr Martin Powell (restaurant manager) a good tip because he had been so attentive to us throughout our break and took a general inteserst in our party of four. His service was impeccable, he was nice and chatty and we hope we get him next time we visit.

All in all, we would definately come back here. The hotel and Newqay are a brilliant place to come on holiday, but next time we book we will be ringing the hotel to make sure Mr Phil Lately is not on the caberet programme!

Room Tip: pay extra for a sea view room and we choose the top floor!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments, I am pleased that the Hotel was so enjoyable for you and that you found Newquay to be such a lovely place, it is a wonderful location from which to explore this area of cornwall. Regarding your comments on the entertainment we do vary our entertainment in order to try and provide something for everyone and I can only apologise that one of our acts did not provide what you enjoyed. However as the Hotel had such a positive feedback from yourself I look forward to seeing you back down with us again at some point in the not too distant future.
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have just returned after a 5 day holiday with my partner to this hotel and loved every minute, our room was basic but clean and comfy only down side was we couldnt open the window for fresh air, but we had a great view of Tolcarne beach and Newquay Harbour and beyond .
The staff were extremely friendly and always smiling, nothing was too much trouble for any of them and they all had time for a quick chat .
The dining room was small and nicely laid out, our waiter from Latvia was very efficient and looked after us well , the food was nicely cooked with adequate portions, and the free glass of wine with our dinner was a nice touch.
The entertainment lounge was cosy and intimate with a good bar with friendly smiley staff, drinks were free from 7.30 - 10.30 and of good quality brand names. our entertainment was good especially Adam Fox who with his good choice of songs and friendly manner made our night, there are also 3 games of bingo and a quiz .
This hotel is in an ideal position for town and all the shops , its also handy for joining the coastal paths which ever direction you wish to go, there is also an excellent bus service which will take you to different parts of Cornwall
Our driver Steve was very good and funny, and being a local man there was nothing he didnt know about the area which was very interesting .
We enjoyed ourseves so much we are going back in 3 weeks.

Room Tip: definately book a sea view !!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday with us so much, I totally agree with you that the views from the hotel are amazing, the sunsets over the Headland have to be seen to be believed. I will pass on your compliments to the staff and am looking forward to welcoming you back as one of our regulars returning guests. See you soon.
east yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Having just returned from a short break at this hotel, I can only say what a super place it is. middle of winter, blowing a gale, yet we had the most enjoyable stay. All the staff were friendly, helpful and made us feel really special. Our bus driver and guide, Tony, was super. full of interesting facts (and fables) about the area and went out of his way to make sure that everyone had a good time. He let us know in good time when and where we needed to be.
The food at the hotel was lovely and the free bar topped it off. Well done!

Room Tip: Book a sea view room, lots of space and well worth the extra few pounds to get a stunning view of th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments with regards your stay with us here at the Marina Hotel, it was a shame the weather was so awful at the time! I am happy that this didn’t spoil your holiday with us though and that you had such an enjoyable time with us, hopefully we shall see you again when the weather is a lot better.
Oldham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed at the Marina on a National Holidays break. The room was comfortable and spacious, (although the TV was a little on the small side!!). The Staff were excellent throughout our 5 day stay and the entertainment was good. The restaurant gave a good choice at both breakfast and dinner, I initially thought portions were quite small but in retrospect I consider the portions were adequate, well presented and good quality.
The only down side to our stay was that as smokers, my wife and I found it uncomfortable standing outside in the howling wind and rain at the end of November to participate in vital nicotine intake! I realise that this is not a Hotel problem but I felt it worth mentioning!
Generally, excellent hotel, brilliant staff, warm, comfortable room, good food. What more could one ask for? Definitely go again!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments with regards your stay with us here at the Marina Hotel, I am very pleased that you found the hotel and staff so enjoyable. I am especially pleased you found the menus well presented and of good quality I will certainly pass on your comments to the chef and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

On arrival first impressions average but then comes the welcome and service which from the maids right through to management was first class - stupendous. Had single room which was small but had full size bathroom with toilet sink and shower over a bath and heated towel rail. Paid extra for sea view which was well worth it. Meals, as with all Bay Hotels, were very good and well and speedily served. Good choice menu. The free bar was excellent. If there were more than 3 in queue another barperson arrived! I never saw more than 4 at the bar at any time.anytime! Entertainment was average although the last night was better. Only 5 mins into town centre bus station and free with concessionary pass. All in all I would go back there anytime - I've always wanted to go to Cornwall and I wasn't disappointed and I had the added bonus of a first class hotel Thanks to all and I will see you soon !

Room Tip: Pay the extra for sea view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your lovely comments on the hotel I am so pleased that you found the staff to be so welcoming and helpful I will certainly pass your comments on. As you say we are in a fantastic location to explore this beautiful part of the country and we will look forward to seeing you back with us in the future.

Been to Marina Hotel? Share your experiences!