“Great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Coastguard Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mousehole
Old Coastguard Hotel
You added Old Coastguard Hotel to your Saves list
The Parade, Mousehole TR19 6PR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Mousehole B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

Stayed three nights at the Old Coastguard with my wife and two daughters. My daughters stayed in a room within the "Lodge" whilst my wife and I had the unusal experience of having a different room for each night of our stay (we had agreed to this beforehand as we had booked at fairly late notice)

Good points included the stunning sea views from all (sea-view facing!) rooms, the rosette awarded resturant food- absolutely superb, and most of the staff who were very friendly and helpful (esp on reception).

The main area for possible improvement is the bathrooms which are basic and lacked imagination (even in the deluxe room where it was huge but not as well equiped/furnished as it might be). Our children were not as enthused about the restuarant as we were- not a very child or teen friendly menu and the restuarant also lacked ambiance somehow despite the quality of the food. As an alternative a new restuarant has just been opened on the sea-front in Mousehole by an ex Raymond Blanc chef- try them both!

Overall we had a very good stay and left with a positive view of the hotel. It is an old building so there will be the odd problem with leaky radiators and heating but it makes up for this in its charm and those views.

• Liked — Views and the food
  • Disliked — The bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely, peaceful bank holiday in Mousehole.

We split our stay at the hotel between 2 rooms due to late booking. It was actually really nice to enjoy both rooms.

Our first night was in a premuim room (14) in the Lodge. This is a large ground floor room with fantastic sea views and views of the pretty gardens. There is a shared terrace with table and chairs. The room is modern and clean. Shower room is small but adequate. Minor negative is that does not have dressing table and power point for hair dryer is not near to mirror (so excuse to be casual for the weekend!).

Our second night was in a superior standard room (20) also in the Lodge. This is a slightly smaller second floor room, again with the same lovely sea views. Decor modern and clean as first room. The shower room does have natural light, unlike first room. We actually prefered this room, although cheaper. The bed faces the windows; it was fantastic to wake at sunrise looking out to sea!

We did overhear a complaint at reception regarding small room. It would seem these rooms are in the main hotel, so worth checking this. The Lodge seems to be the favourite option.

We had dinner on our first night in the hotel and really enjoyed it. (Chef is Masterchef GB). We enjoyed scallops, crab and brill. The service is formal. Breakfast very enjoyable, usual choice of cereals, fresh fruits and cooked options. Restaurant overlooks gardens and sea.

The receptionist was friendly and very helpful in assisting our late booking.

We loved Mousehole, very quiet fishing village with small amount of shops and galleries. Easy to forget it was bank holiday until travelled to Newquay, St Ives and Padstow! We recommend travelling to Watergate Bay, however, to Jamie Oliver's Fifteen (Approx 1 hour). We booked dinner in advance and enjoyed the experience, very informal but not inexpensive! (£50 a head).

• Liked — The amazing sea views
  • Disliked — No dislikes
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
North Yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

This was our second visit to this hotel. We stayed for 4 nights in a large room in the Lodge with a fantastic view and terrace leading on to a garden.The food and service was excellent.
We were welcomed by a very pleasant receptionist and although
the car park was busy we had no problems parking throughout are stay which included the same date as the previous reviewer.
We will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2007
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

My girlfriend and I are staying here at the moment. On arrival we were told we couldn't park in the hotel car park and our (tiny) room doesn't have any hot water. I just phoned though to reception and was told that it was because room 6 had just got in the shower! I've come all this way and can't even clean up after a long drive. Hopefully things will pick up.

• Disliked — I can get on the internet but can't have a hot shower
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed at The Old Coastguard Hotel recently while visiting relatives in Cornwall. I was delighted by the accommodation. The rooms are very clean and modern yet still maintain a homely atmosphere. The Sweeping views across the bay left me entranced. The staff are all amazingly friendly and go out of their way to please. They were more than happy to offer advice on the local areas and give tips on places to visit. If you stay here (or even happen to be passing through) I must insist that you try the hotel's restaurant. When I was there they offered a delightful menu full of treats that left me quite full and satisfied. I highly recommend the pork belly and scallops!!! I would definitely recommend the Old Coastguard to anyone wanting to experience the luxuries and professionalism of chain hotels, with the warmth and service that only small independent hotels can offer. I will be back!!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BRISTOL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

Our stay was obviously different! we had a small double with one of the best seaviews ever, anywhere - although no balcony.
A simply furnished but very comfortable room, with some interesting and unique prints by a local artist. To be fair, I suspect the room may just have been through its refurbishment schedule! ( A very new 26" Samsung flat screen TV was evident! Free broadband too - not bad for a two star hotel.)
The real event, however, is the restaurant. Already Two Rosettes and the chef is clearly reaching out beyond that. A full Table d' hote can obviously be a bit much on any particular night, but during our stay they seemed pretty relaxed about serving one or two courses. The full menu is worth experiencing though. Each course is beautifully balanced, and at least two dishes - the lobster ravioli starter and the skate wing main - would have stood their ground in a Michelin diner. My skate wing was cooked to perfection, not easy with skate, and translucent in its freshness.
We ate elsewhere in the village, very pleasantly, but I have to say -do treat yourself to a full evening at The OCG. Or lunch - fabulous views and very relaxed staff!
This restaurant is going places, I can't wait to go back - and I have no problem recommending the hotel either!
The Craigos.

• Liked — THE VIEWS, THE FOOD AND THE STAFF
  • Disliked — THE GUEST LOUNGE IS SMALL AND COULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

Booked on the strength of the web site, but not like that in reality. Receptionist very helpful on arrival. Restaurant has won some award so now chef will only let you in for evening meal if you have the full works at £39 per head. Didn't look anything special and receptionist recommended another very good eating house just around the corner. Room was rather cramped with silly surround to the bed and no wardrobe - only rail behind mirror. Bathroom pokey and rather old fashioned but clean. First morning staff managed my request for early (7.15) breakfast OK but the second morning I was left out in the cold (well the drizzle) as they refused to open the doors until 7.30. I was literally left standing on the pavement for 10 mins after knocking on the kitchen door requesting to be let in! Female member of staff was very rude and not at all helpful so won't be staying there again. Drinks also OTT - two white wine spritzers £9.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Old Coastguard Hotel? Share your experiences!