“Tasty Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 84 restaurants in Looe
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Our Restaurant is designed to give an authentic Thai garden ambience with lots of artifacts to enhance this. We have 30 covers inside and 12 on our outside Terrace. Our restaurant is cosy and friendly and we strive to welcome and put all our diners at ease.Our waiting staff (With the exception of myself) are English and young. They have a detailed knowledge of Thai food and can helpand advise on choices where appropriate.Our Chef and Assistant Chefs are Thai and have many years experience of preparing and cooking their native food. We welcome constructive feedback in order to improve our service.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Tasty Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were new to Thai cuisine, so not at all sure what to order, but help was at hand. Both the young waiter and owner came to our rescue in ordering from the menu and advising on wine to compliment. It was a delight------very tasty and well presented in---- a quiet,airy restaurant. We would certainly recommend.

martinclay, Owner at Ocean & Earth, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Sylvia, thank you for your review. Being new to Thai food, we are pleased that you chose our restaurant for your first experience. We enjoy helping diners in chosing food from our menu and our waiting staff are very good at this. We are fortunate to have enthusiastic young waiting staff who know nearly as much about Thai food as my wife and myself. My wife Nang is an excellent chef and we hope that your future experiences of eating Thai food are as good as your first.

90% Recommend
Wales
“Small restaurant - Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came across the restaurant while out for a walk. I love Thai but my husband is not so keen. I persuaded him to give it a try.
The restaurant is small but very comfortable and we had a warm welcome. The menu is interesting and rather different from other restaurants we have used.We were guided through items we weren't sure of - very helpful. We both sampled Lao Beer for the first time. Delicious.
We had the mixed starter. We loved it all. A special mention for the tempura vegetables. The homemade satay is wonderful.
I then had Gaeng Keow Wan (Thai Green Curry) with lots of king prawns and my husband had chicken Gaeng Matsuman. Both were really delicious with loads of flavour. After 2 very generous courses we couldn't manage a dessert. Husband declared that he did love GOOD Thai food after all!
We are so pleased that we found the restaurant and wish the owners much success in the future.

martinclay, Manager at Ocean & Earth, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hi, thank you so much for for your kind review. It was great that your husband agreed to eat with us and even better, that he now likes GOOD Thai food. We are pleased that you found us welcoming and warm and that you enjoyed our food so much. Nangs food is always excellent being freshly cooked in an authentic Thai way and as you say, generous portions.I agree that the Lao beer we sell is an excellent beer being the only beer brewed in Laos. We are also pleased that you found our restaurant and thank you for your good wishes for our future succes.

Looe
“"The Best in Looe..don't miss it!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We are Looe locals and keen cooks so we're hard to please when it comes to eating out but Ocean and Earth never disappoints.We've visited many times in past years but have never left a review... our last meal(like all of the previous ones) was just soooo delicious I thought it was finally time to say a big thank you!
Fresh and fragrant food cooked by Nang and her team is a truly authentic and inexpensive treat we are so lucky to have in Looe.I like my food on the hot side and care is always taken to tailor dishes to each individual taste...spicy or mild.I'm also allergic to shellfish but I can feel confident I can eat here and never experience a problem.My Husband however has no allergy and recently had the most juicy succulent prawns for his main, preceded by a fantastic chicken Tom Yum soup..all accompanied by a bottle of fruity Thai Red which pairs well with the cuisine.There's some great Thai beer on offer too if you don't fancy wine.
Front of house and owner Martin is an excellent and informative host.He cares about customer satisfaction and takes time to ensure your evening is going well.To keep their business fresh and interesting there are evenings with music in the quieter months with a delicious set menu, so it's worth checking out their website if you're in the town in the Autumn or Winter.. His young team of staff are well trained, efficient and there's always a warm welcome when you walk through the door.Food is always cooked to order which may mean you have to wait a short while at busy times..but who cares?!...it's worth every minute!!
If you're heading to Looe for a romantic meal for two in this cosy restaurant or for a family meal that won't blow your budget then Ocean and Earth is a great choice Book in advance in the Summer months though so you don't miss out..it would be a great pity to have visited Looe and not eaten here.Lucky us..we're popping in again tonight :)Can't wait!!

Hi Julia and Neil,

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is great to hear your positive comments to the service we provide. You have been extremely kind and thorough. We are lucky to have two very dependable waiting staff who are both young and enthusaiastic. They have both been with us for some time and do us proud. We find it hard to recruit Thai catering staff due to the restrictions of the current Immigration Policy and our remoteness from cities like London where there is a stronger support network. Our kitchen staff led by Nang therfore work incredibly hard to deliver consistently authentic, tasty and quality food day in and day out. Our pot washers work hard too and together, our staff make a brilliant team where everyones contribution makes the whole thing work. We dont say this as often as we could so thank's for providing the opportunity.
Thank you for your kind comments and for eating with us so often. You are always welcome

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Lovely fresh tasty food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stopped for a light bite for lunch not so long back. We were the only ones in resturant.

The food really was very clean, nice and fresh. Some things were different to what I have had Thai wise before. We ashed for a few things to be changed to our liking etc and it was all on problem and came out perfect!

The owner was friendly, but I agree with what some have said on here about him being intrusive. He was almost sat at our table.

I can't see how people are saying this is not authenic Thai, as his wife/the chef is actually Thai .. so I dont see how i couldnt be authentic.

I will defo be going back and will defo reccomend.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi,

thanks for your review. I am sorry you felt that I was intrusive. When we only have one table it is sometimes difficult to get the balance of attention right. In your case it would seem I misjudged this. My apologies. We are please that you enoyed Nang's food which as you describe speaks for itself. All our food is freshly cooked using fresh and authentic Thai herbs and spices. We are always happy to make adjustments to satisfy our customers. It's great that would visit our restaurant again and we look forward to making you welcome.
We no longer serve lunches as we found that they did not seem as popular as we would have liked. probably because people want to spend the day on the beach to get the most from what is sometimes, rare sunshine.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Arrived in Looe on a Friday afternoon and stumbled across this restaurant. We had looked at trip advisor before heading to Looe and this restaurant didn't stand out on the list for some reason. What a mistake! We were the first in at 18.00 as we were starving and the owner was very welcoming. For the first hour we had the restaurant to ourselves. Many people would hate this but we loved the personal service, chatting with the owner about the fact I had just been to Thailand and learning the best places to go for a drink in Looe from the server.

We ordered the mixed starter (can't be bothered to choose!) which was piping hot and delicious. Then king prawn coconut curry, chicken with cashews and jasmine rice for the main and ALL the dishes were delicious. The King prawn curry was particularly good, 7 prawns and fresh veg in one dish for £9.50 was a bargain in my eyes. The food came out hot, fresh and tasty. We never have deserts but I just had to try the fresh mango and coconut rice and boy it was divine!!!

Overall the food was far better than I had recently in Bangkok. It doesn't put me off that there aren't Thai serving staff at all, I am pleased the owner recruits local youngsters and helps to keep people in work. We were so impressed, the next night we went to Squid Ink and felt the Thai restaurant was a far better and tastier experience! Much more relaxed and £30 cheaper!
Would def recommend and if we are ever in Looe again will return without question.

• Visited April 2013
Hi,

we are so pleased that you found our food and service brilliant and that you had such a good experience. We have been at number 5 on Trip Advisor for the last year or so. Restaurants above us are fresh fish and fine dining which makes us the top of all other restaurants in Looe. This is totally understandable to us as a lot of people come to Looe for fresh fish landed in here.
We are please that you found us value for money and hopefully we will se you again in the not too distant future.