“Thoughtful & Helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Nettleton, United Kingdom
“Thoughtful & Helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently stayed in Falmouth to take my Merchant Navy Exam at Falmouth Coastguard. The lovely lady who runs the place made sure that I knew where I was going, how long and how to get there, gave me advice on how to get into town, let me revise in their very tasteful lounge and even let me come back and get changed post exam! When all you want to be thinking about is your exam these are the people you want around you. Service is 6 out of 5 stars!

I had the single room, she moved me so I was staying in the room which is the same as my surname ... yet again a lovely touch. Room was clean and well thought out, large on-suite and a bit of a view.

Breakfast was lovely, real tea and local produce - obviously a lot of effort put in. The decor of the Hotel is will immerse you into British Heritage and Culture, old school and tasteful.

Thank you to Hawthorne, a truly great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had a nice stay at Hawthorne Dene and thought it good value for money. It is quirky and old fashioned, but that is the theme the owners have chosen, and have done it well.
I had a single room and it was clean, had lots of extra's and a good shower.
Breakfast was fine. My only very small issue was that I found the pillows a bit small and insubstantial, but that is a personal thing and nobody else seems to have thought so!
It is a bit of a trek to the quay on a dark, rainy night, so I drove down, but it would be fine in summer if you like a walk. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good value stay in Falmouth with parking, good security and a nice welcome. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A lovely twin ground floor room with a super shower and views of the sea. We did not receive a great welcome after a 6 hour drive and saying that we would arrive between 7 and 8. A fair selection of breakfast items including gluten free bread! However portions smallish and not piping hot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a four day break. The hotel is quaint and charming, Edwardian décor and each room is named after a teddy bear. I had room 10 (Godwin's room), which is right at the top of the building with a sea-view. Room was bright and comfortable, with a chaise longue. Ideal when sat with a cuppa overlooking the stunning view. Shower is compact, but perfectly adequate. There are 3 flights of stairs going up to the room, but this presented no problem for me. Breakfast was lovely, served in the charming dining room, with a choice of a full English breakfast or continental. Lounge is very quaint and relaxing. The only downside was perhaps the lack of cleaning of the rooms; towards the end of my stay I noticed that the towels and shower mat were left where I had left them, but not really a issue .My room was on the main road so there is some traffic noise but not at night. Hotel is situated about 10 minutes walk from the beach and about 15 minutes walk from the town and it is a bit of a hill, so taxis were used, but it is walkable. I really enjoyed my stay here, and would recommend it for a peaceful and relaxing break.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of the hotel have stunning sea views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol- a poor substitute for Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Exquisitely maintained hotel - beautiful Edwardian decor, sublime colour scheme and serenity to die for. However, room was small with one small window and the shower uncontrollable. Breakfast was quite small but there were lots of options available. I was disappointed to see fruit juices from Lidl ( at £85 per night, I'd have expected better quality) and the staff were very accommodating. Loved the teddy theme but my main complaint would be how the cleaning trailed off in standard towards the end of the week - a wine glass was left in room for 3 days and towels/ bathmats neither changed or even moved for last couple of days. The peacefulness and tranquil vibe of the hotel was priceless, no noise at night and zero light pollution. would definitely recommend for those who want a quiet chill in what can be a busy seaside resort.

Room Tip: The room at the top was delightful, fantastic views and bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I booked a four night stay here as we have visited Falmouth many times but only ever for a day and wanted the chance to explore what it has to offer.
We were made to feel welcome on arrival and shown to Harvey's room (10) on the top floor which afforded great views across the bay and had the bonus of a Velux window at the rear which was very useful as temperatures were approaching 30 degrees for the duration of our stay. The shower and toilet facilities were compact but adequate for our needs. Bed was very comfortable and room was kept spotless. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice of fruit, yoghurt,cereals and a sensible sized full breakfast offered along with options if you don't fancy the full "Monty".
The Hotel is located approximately 15 minutes walk from the town centre but allow 20 to get back as it is uphill. There is also a stop for the shuttle bus nearby which at £2 for an all day ticket is another option. We used this as I have recently had a knee replacement and although I did manage the walk down to the town one day, I don't think it would have done me any good to walk back up. The lovely Gillyvase beach is only about 10 minutes walk away.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely consider staying in this lovely Hotel again.

Room Tip: We liked room 10 but there are 3 flights of stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I spent one night here, in a small but more than adequate room. Lovely shower, comfy bed, sea view, excellent value for money. A friendly and welcoming B&B with a hearty breakfast even when you're quite picky with food. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hawthorne Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!