“Birthday Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at The Falmouth Hotel. This is our third visit and we have already booked for next year. This visit was made extra special when we returned to find a bottle of Champagne and a card in our room from the Hotel management to wish Mervyn Happy Birthday. We have found the changes made since our first visit, such as the toaster at breakfast, shows how the Hotel keeps improving inline with modern ideas while keeping its charm and standards.

Room Tip: The views from the sea facing room are wonderful. The corner premier room we had was luxury, roomy...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Wendy C,

Thank you very much for your kind words, and your continued custom of the hotel.

One of the best parts about being in the hospitality industry, is the feedback that you receive from the people that you encounter. We believe strongly in creating memories, and everything that we do is tailored towards this. From offering return guests complimentary teas and coffees, to little surprise touches on birthdays and anniversaries; it all adds to the overall guest experience.

We are always evolving, and I hope that on your next visit to us, you will be able to see how we have improved again.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Christopher Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at the Falmouth Hotel last weekend for two nights as I was attending a wedding reception held there. I had booked a Standard Inland double as I just wanted a convenient place to sleep the night before and the night of the wedding. No, I did not expect luxury from a Standard room, just a clean and (for the price) smart place to put my bags and sleep.
Unfortunately, my room on the second floor was distinctly substandard. It overlooked the kitchen with its noisy air vents, had damp walls with the wallpaper literally hanging off and mildew around the window. There had clearly been a leak. I would have grudgingly accepted those issues as I didn't need luxury, however the bathroom window had been smashed and the hole (about as big as my hand) had the broken glass masking taped together, flapping in the breeze. I've never, ever complained about a hotel room before, but I wasn't keen on showering in a room with a window with bits of broken glass and a large hole! So I called reception, explained the problem, asking if there was anything that could be done (doubting that would be possible as it was late evening). Immediately, somebody came to have a look and agreed wholeheartedly that it wasn't acceptable, took photographs of the problems to show to the manager, and moved me to a (beautiful) room on the fourth floor. All within 10 minutes, no problems.
The room I was moved to had a brilliant sea view and was beautifully presented with a luxurious bathroom. In summary, the standard room I booked would have been okayish for sleeping in if it weren't for the damp and broken window, but, for a bit of an upgrade, the room I was moved to was fantastic. If you want to stay here, definitely go premium.

All that said, if I were solely reviewing the room I was moved to it would be 5 stars all round. The service was second to none and the facilities were great. Loads of on site parking, very easy to find and simply fantastic staff.

The food (both breakfast and the wedding meal) were excellent quality. In fact, the whole wedding reception was excellent and the bride and groom were extremely pleased with the hotel.

If I was staying in Falmouth again I'd consider a premium room here for a treat. I definitely wouldn't risk another 'standard'.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear AnnieMcPhee,

Thank you for your candid review, and I am glad that despite your initial issues you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay.

The room that you were initially placed in should not have been used, and I have followed up the issue with our Housekeeping department. There was no excuse for the room to be let in it's current state - especially with a broken window. The matter should have been forwarded to our Management and Maintenance team.

Since your stay the room has been "blocked", and it will not be let again until the issues have been resolved. The window has already been fixed, and the wallpaper is being stripped and replaced where the damp issue is.

Please accept our apologies for this matter, and I hope that you will not be discouraged from returning to us in the future. It was a definite oversight on our behalf, and we have taken steps to ensure that a similar situation does not recur.

I was glad to see that the situation was dealt with so well by our Reception team, and that you were able to enjoy the rest of the weekend without further issues.

Thank you again for your feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Shame - it's a nice building with great view of the bay and garden. However we were placed in a room at the back overlooking the kitchen roof. At around 8am each day the extractor fan was turned on and the noise was horrific. Due to availability we had to put up with it until the 3rd day - forget about trying to sleep in! They either need to replace the fan or stop putting guests in THAT room!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Chrislacy,

Thank you for taking the time to add your feedback, and I am sorry that your stay was impacted by the noise of the fan outside your room.

We have had a ongoing issue with the fan, and it is for this reason that it is turned off overnight, and only switched on again once the cooking equipment is in use.

We have had an engineer out to look at the problem, and the parts are on order so that the problem can be fixed. We are also looking at additional noise-minimising equipment which should help any other noise from the kitchen equipment.

Please be assured that we are taking steps to ensure that the problem is no longer issue.

Thank you again, and I hope that you will return to us to see the improvements.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed one night in a lovely sea view room, very comfortable bed and good furnishings. Hotel has an interesting history and very spacious. Reception very welcoming and all staff very efficient. Good choices of breakfast and well cooked. On departure completed the guest questionnaire, raising a couple of issues and amazingly, hotel manager responded, which is very impressive as I have completed these on many occasions at other hotels and have had no response.

Dear Yvonne H,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Trip Advisor, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We take all the feedback that we receive very seriously, and especially so as we improve the hotel and invest in its future. I always respond to Trip Advisor, and earlier this year I decided that it was only fair to respond to our in-house Comment Cards as well. I have to admit that at present I am responding only electronically, but I hope to be able to organise a method of replying to all cards in the near future.

It has been a valuable exercise as quite often our guests are able to elaborate further on the positive (or negative) aspects of their stay, which in turn allows us to grow and evolve as a business.

I believe your Comment Card made me aware of an issue with a bathroom door, which before that time I was unaware of, and have since fixed. It is points like this that are invaluable to us in receiving feedback from our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Falmouth.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I will recommend THE FALMOUTH hotel to anybody looking for a relaxing luxury break. On my recent stay I found the hotel to be ideally situated for access to the beaches ,the Town center+ferry+other attractions .The staff were all very pleasant, helpful +efficient. The food was obviously prepared by top chefs, the menu offered plenty of choice +was quite simply delicious. The indoor swimming pool+Jacuzzi were most relaxing,
I also treated myself to a neck +shoulder massage, my first but not my last.
To sum it all up. Super hotel, super holiday break.

Room Tip: Select sea view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Cedar112013,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay. I am glad that we stood out as a memorable experience for you.

We strive to achieve the same experience for all our guests, and alongside the benefits of our location, our staff, food and service all help to deliver that same experience.

I hope that on your next visit to us we will be equally as successful, and I hope that you will be able to see some of our ongoing improvements.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

The Falmouth Hotel is a splendid Victorian building and care should be taken in "modernising" it as it offers so much character and charm. All too often trying to take these hotels into the next century makes them appear "shabby" as interior designers try to cover the panelling and plaster work, enough on this theme! Booked the hotel through booking.com and had a fantastic sea view from room 410. Our room was cleaned to a high standard throughout our 3 night stay. The staff were friendly and attentive. On our last evening we decided to eat at the hotel. The meal was absolutely fantastic and it was a shame that the restaurant did not have more diners. The ambiance of the restaurant could be improved with better, less bright lighting, candles and better quality napkins. Overall I would recommend this hotel for business or personal use but look beyond some of the obvious short comings.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeremy H,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and could be appreciative of our architecture.

As we modernise and refurbish the hotel, we are taking care to ensure that we keep the original character of the building, being all too aware that it is this that makes us stand out from the crowd.

We are looking at ways that we can improve our dining experience, and from September we are revamping all our menus and dining options. At present our Restaurant offers a set three-course table d'hote menu, which some guests find too much so they prefer to dine in our Bar area - leading to decreased numbers and atmosphere in our Restaurant. By offering more variety and options in the Restaurant, we hope to increase the number of residents opting for the Restaurant over the Bar, thereby improving the atmosphere.

We will certainly also look into the lighting options as you have suggested, which should also help the appeal of the restaurant.

I hope that next time you visit, you will be able to see how we have improved.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Arrived here today. Admittedly we booked last minute and had to make do with what they had to offer. Paying £140 for a shabby room. Carpets have seen better days, paint peeling off the rads, edging missing in bathroom and wifi not working. Staff are lovely but I would be embarrassed charging the tariff for such a room. Half the price would still be stretching it even for a bank holiday. Thankfully, we're heading to town for dinner. Hoping their breakfast is not like the rest of the hotel. Not impressed!!

Dear L-DBristol,

I am sorry that the hotel fell short of your expectations on this occasion, and I sincerely hope that the rest of your stay made up for your initial impression.

We do not aim to disappoint our guests, and from the sounds of things your issues may have been easily rectified.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on my email - christopher.roberts@richardsonhotels.co.uk so that I can learn more about your stay and your issues, which will enable us to take steps so that anything similar does not occur again.

Our apologies again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Christopher Roberts

Been to The Falmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!