“Great time at Falmouth Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Falmouth Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cliff Road | Castle Beach, Falmouth TR11 4NZ, England   |
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Chepstow
“Great time at Falmouth Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely visit to the Falmouth Hotel where we stayed in Apartment 22. The apartment was clean and tidy and included a fridge freezer and washing machine. We also had lovely views over the well kept gardens and it also included our own parking space. As previously mentioned in other posts, the main hotel building could do with some refubishing, but to be honest it did add to the charm of the place. My only negative comment is that our children aged 7and 9 were refused entry to the pool after getting all ready and excited about going - the hotel has a policy of signing into the pool at reception, however, when they went to sign in they were told that the pool was full due to a party of non-residents beating them too it. Needless to say the kids were extremely disappointed - I personally would have thought that residents should have priority to access the pool, but unfortunately this is not the case at The Falmouth. All things considered though a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Mitchell C

Thank you for your review, which is very gratefully received.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit, I am very sorry that we disappointed your Grandchildren - this is the last thing we would want to do!

At times, and for the usual health and safety (as well as comfort) reasons, it can be necessary to limit access to the pool and I am very sorry that you were affected by this.

I do hope this would not put you off from revisiting us again in the future, as it would be our pleasure to look after you all again.

Richardson Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was a last minute booking (the day before). I found the hotel on booking.com, I then looked it up on trip advisor and when I saw all the great reviews, I rang the hotel direct. The people on the phone were very polite and helpful and really listened to my requests. I was coming with a 19 month old baby and I needed room for a travel cot and the use of a fridge.

This hotel is perfectly situated to the beach, which is literally just across the road and the town centre is a five minute walk! We all needed a few nights away to relax and this hotel really did tick all the boxes.

When we arrived, the reception staff were so friendly and helpful and we were offered complimentary tea and coffee and we sat outside on the lawn which was really lovely.

When I got to my room (410), Wow what a lovely surprise, it was just fabulous! They had given my an upgrade to a beautiful suite with a superking bed with sofa and chairs. The travel cot was all set up with fresh sheets and a duvet and a fridge! I really was blown away, I just had to ring reception and thank them. The room was just spotless and the ensuite was just what I needed with a bath and shower.

The other people in my party had a twin room (110) which was a very small room that hadn't been upgraded yet but it was clean and did the job.

The breakfasts at this hotel are just lovely and you can pretty much have anything you want, can't fault it at all.

I am a pretty fussy customer and I love my 5 * accommodation and although this hotel in not a 5 *, I would definately revisit and would reccommend it to my friends and family and that speaks volumes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Katatom

I am thrilled to read your feedback and delighted that the team are providing such a high level of service to our guests during our peak summer season.

Your experience is very encouraging to us all as we aim every day to do the best job possible for our guests.

I will enjoy discussing your comments with all the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!

Thank you so much for your review.

Clevedon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I can only agree with “Disappointing Hotel” 15 August 2012. Tired paintwork, threadbare and mis-matching carpet on main staircase held together with duct tape. We only had breakfast on the first morning found it disappointing(*) and went out to buy breakfast elsewhere on the second day. The pepper pot for example had a completly solid lump (of pepper) in it so obviously had not been checked recently, no check if more coffe/tea toast required etc. Also ordering in the lounge coffee for two gives you a single cafetière rather than one per person etc.
Our room main light did not work and staff were unable to find a replacement bulb, and it was not repaired the next day whilst we were out as promised. The sash window in our romm would not close properly. Ordering in the lounge coffee for two gives you a single cafetière rather than one per person etc.

Overall there is a lack of attention to detail, but all the staff we spoke to were pleasant.

I would not stay at this hotel again at these prices for which I would expect a higher standard.

(*) we have always found breakfast better at one of the chain budget hotels, and their building fabric is well maintained.

Dear andrew d

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that we failed to deliver a satisfactory experience to you during your recent stay.

I am disappointed by your comments which demonstrate some inconsistencies in the service provided. I have also received your completed guest questionaire - many thanks for completing this - I shall respond to your personally in due course.

Thank you again for your feedback which is warmly welcomed and appreciated. It will prove invaluable as we seek to improve and enhance the experience of all our guests at the Falmouth Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed for a week - premier room and standard twin room.

Rather run-down hotel, carpets and sofas need a clean, stair carpets are thread-bare and balding, and held together with duct tape! Paint is old-looking and yellowing everywhere. 'Gym' is really just a pokey little area in the basement with worn-out equipment.

Only ate in the restaurant once - not great! The bar food is much nicer. Breakfast is a bit sad with a few slices of melon, cheese and meats laid out with flys buzzing round. Cooked breakfast was nothing like you get in a good B&B. Toast was burned every day!

There was a big wedding on the Saturday, no notice given to us as guests but the music thumped out until nearly 1:00am and it was nearly 2:30am by the time doors had stopped slamming and we could get to sleep.

Twin room was acceptable but a bit small. The premier suite was nice and spacious though, otherwise would have rated overall as Poor!

Falmouth is great with loads to do but we wouldn't go back to this hotel or recommend it.

Room Tip: Premier suite was very good, standard twin room was a bit small but acceptable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear CosmicRay2012

Thank you for your review, although it was a shock to read your comments.

We have no record at the hotel of any such dissatisfaction this summer; either on our guest questionaires, in Duty Managers diarys or within departmental handovers. Clearly though if you didn't wish to register any of your feelings during your stay then this is entirely your perogative.

I am so sorry that we appear to have underdelivered so dramatically.

Please contact me directly on ben.young@richardsonhotels.co.uk so I can investigate further and attempt to reinstill your faith in the hotel.

Once again, may I apologise for your dissatisfactory stay, the only small cheer is that you enjoyed the standard of our bedrooms.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of this month and it is wonderful. A traditional seaside hotel, beautifully clean & well maintained, right on the beach front in an excellent location. A short walk one way takes you to Gyllynvase beach & nice coastal walks and the other way a short walk will take you into Falmouth centre with it's harbour & many shops, bars & restaurants. The hotel itself is clean in all areas and the staff on Reception & in the Bar Lounge & Restaurant are friendly and welcoming. The room we had was large, light & very nicely furnished with a large modern bathroom. Breakfast was also very good.
In a previous review a comment was made about the stair carpet being worn. This is true in some places and I feel sure that the Hotel will replace the carpet in due course. But don't let it detract you from staying here. If you don't want to look at the threadbare carpet, I suggest you take the lift !!!

Dear HappyHolidays4us2

Thank you so much for your review which I read with pleasure.

When the hotel was built, 150 years ago, (as the towns first commercial hotel) they certainly knew a thing or two about location!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much, and you are quite right about the carpet - the entire staircase (all 12 levels!) and the ground floor are booked for replacement this October, once we get slightly quieter.

I do hope you will come back and see us again in the future.

Thank you again.

Camborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

From the first minute we entered the hotel, the staff wer excellent, the whole experience, was 1st class, from the bar, the restaurant, and the room was over and above what was expected, going to stay again on our next anniversary next year.

Room Tip: we had 201 what a fantastic choice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Richard H

Thank you so much for this lovely review, it is so rewarding to read that we provided you with such an excellent experience during your recent stay.

I look forward to ensuring that your anniversary with us next year is at least as memorable and even more enjoyable!

camelford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Whilst living in Cornwall,we find the Falmouth Hotel really great for having a relaxing break between staying in Hospital for Operations and treatment. We have always been well looked after.The Food, whether it is served in the Restaurant or Bar is always of an excellent standard. The Bar serves a really good local Real Ale at a very competative price

Room Tip: Can always find a room to suit your needs.very quite higher up.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear james c

I am very pleased to read that as a resident of our fine County, you enjoy visiting the hotel - afterall we are here for everyone - Onen hag Oll!

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Richardson Hotels

Been to The Falmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!