“average lunch” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 56 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: This tripadvisor page is for reviewing the "nightlife" offering of The Grapes in Falmouth - you will find a separate page for reviewing the food offering in the "restaurant" section. The Grapes has a great deal to offer as part of Falmouth's vibrant night life. With a range of quality west country real ales and real ciders and regular entertainments including quizes, live music, DJs and charity events. We are also a host venue and sponsor of the town's annual International Sea Shanty Festival
Loughton, Essex
“average lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

very few staff.

food was ok but we waited a long time. only 3 staff. pleasant staff but rushed off their feet and kept apologising.

burgers felt processed and not great.

Visited August 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Unimpressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I visited this establishment during a lunch time during the busy 'festival week' in August. On arrival it took a long time to be served for drinks as there was just one member of staff serving. After eventually ordering our meals, they arrived promptly, however I was less than impressed with my 'chargrilled chicken burger'.. A cheap bread roll, with a very small amount of chicken within.... The 'sweet chilli sauce' side dip was suspiciously similar to what I get at home out of a squeeze bottle.. Felt ripped off ! The staff were kind and pleasant throughout. The decor is dated and cluttered. No baby change facilities and toilets not very nice... For a pub / restaurant in a prime position in a famous harbour town such as Falmouth, I would expect much better.

Visited August 2013
GrapesFalmouth, Owner at The Grapes Falmouth - Bar & Pub, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi Johnner28

We're very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience here at The Grapes and have taken your views on board.

We're relatively new owners here and are going through a gradual refurbishment project - as we are a small family owned place and not a big chain, the refurbishment is slower than we would like, but each step is done as we can afford it. In particular, the toilets which we agree are due some attention, are on our list to renovate this winter - that will include the installation of baby change facilities.

We're sorry to hear about the burger experience, on the whole customers are very satisfied with the burgers we serve I'm sorry that on this occasion we got it wrong. We would like to mention that we have now changed our bakery provider to a fantastic local baker "Baker Tom" who makes the most excellent glazed rolls that we use for our burgers now. We have just launched a new and exciting menu - if you come down to Falmouth again, perhaps we could tempt you to have another try - I'd be more than happy to get you one of our three new chicken burger options which I'm confident you will enjoy.....

Get in touch with us on info@thegrapesfalmouth.co.uk
“Avoid like the plague!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I went along to have a meal with my boyfriend on St Paddy's day and really wish that we hadn't bothered! We tried to order the food which took a while ad the staff were all preoccupied with finishing their conversations with each other to serve us, when we finally ordered two burgers ( one vegetarian) we then had to wait around 40 mins for it. When it did come out, the vegetarian option looked suspiciously like meat!! And after asking the staff on the bar to ask the kitchen to confirm that there had been no mistake made with the kitchen, I stood at the bar waiting for ten minutes whilst the barman (after getting off the phone with the kitchen) stood having another little chat with a member if staff. Eventually he came back to me at the bar (as I pretty much had to stand staring at him in order for him to acknowledge me and finish dealing with my inquiry) to say that it simply looked like meat but was not. Not only was te food cold by this time but the fact that I couldn't get an answer straight away (as should have been the case!) meant that needless to say I only ended up eating the cold chips on the plate. My partners burger was greasy and gristly. Also on a seperate note, the band they had hired to play on the day were the most awful live act I have ever had the misfortune of being in the same room as! Hidiously out of tune vocals and harmonies that left unable to do anything but cringe an wince. I would advise all people with fully functioning taste buds and eardrums to AVOID AVOID AVOID! Not only is this awful hovel of a pub a disgusting rip off, the bar and kitchen cannot be trusted to place and correctly serve an order and the standard of service is practically non existent. Go the the quay pub, good grub at great prices with well trained pleasant staff capable of actually attending to you. The grapes is a car crash!

Visited February 2013
GrapesFalmouth, Owner at The Grapes Falmouth - Bar & Pub, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Elleiot,

Thank you for your review and please accept our sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your time here at The Grapes. We just wanted to take this opportunity to respond to your points.

Firstly I think your review is missing the context that St Patrick's day was an exceptionally busy day - the busiest Sunday the pub has seen to date in fact and we were juggling a full sunday roast menu alongside the whole normal menu, specials and lunches. We also had large crowds of st patricks day 'revellers' in the pub who between them consumed 264 pints of Guinness that day - so I think it's only fair to other readers to mention this context, especially as yours was the only complaint we received that day.

I personally remember being the person who dealt with this as you came to the bar concerned that your burger was meat - I explained at the time that I believed it was a soya or TVP burger, the point of which is to imitate a meat burger, you requested that I get absolute confirmation from the kitchen which I then went to do. Your characterisation in your review of me seemingly drifting off and not dealing with your complaint is unfair and a wild exaggeration. It is true that I was not able to get the chef's immediate attention due to the volume of orders he had on, but as soon as he did phone me back where he read out the ingredients of the burger to me - for avoidance of doubt - I got straight back to you. This did not take 10 minutes. I'm also sorry that your partner found his beef burger greasy and gristly - that is very unusual as we are highly praised for our handmade burgers which are made from prime Cornish minced beef from a high quality local butcher.

With respect to your review of the folk band Jonah's Lift whom were performing upbeat irish music relevant to st pat's day; again mentioning that the pub was packed full of people and families enjoying the entertainment is important for putting your personal opinion in context. Other readers of tripadvisor can make up their own minds by checking the band out for themselves by googling "Jonah's Lift". They are easily the most popular band in Falmouth and are exceptionally hard to book as they are in such high demand.

Your characterisation of my family's home and business as "an awful hovel", "a car crash" and "a rip off" is not only way over the top but also quite offensive. However, we have no problem whatsoever with genuine criticism of how we do things and also when mistakes are made we are extremely sorry and we are always trying to improve the business. In this case we are very sorry that you did not get an immediate answer to your question at the bar and that you clearly expected something different from a "vegetarian burger".

We can only say that as still fairly new owners we are going through a process of extensive refurbishment, improvement and renovation; the major thrust of which is occurring right now and in August we will be relaunching the venue with a fully new menu which includes a choice of different vegetarian burgers. We are always keen to put things right so if you live locally or are visiting Falmouth again do get in touch and we will happily offer you a couple of burgers free of charge and perhaps you could review your experience again.

With best wishes, the Team at The Grapes :- info@thegrapesfalmouth.co.uk
“A truly awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Ordered a whole meal 'Home cooked Cornish Ham' sandwich and cheesy chips. After waiting a very long time ( there wasn't anyone else waiting for food so there was no queue, I was told that the order hadn't gone through to the kitchen - I was then told that the order was now being processed so I waited for the lunch to arrive. When it did it was very evident to me that what was marketed on the menu was very different from what I received. The ham was very slimy and fatty and looked like processed shoulder not ' home cooked Cornish ham'! I ate the cheesy chips were just about ok but complained about the sandwich and was given a refund. I would not recommend this pub for food or indeed for ambience or service - a very poor hostelry - look elsewhere

GrapesFalmouth, Owner at The Grapes Falmouth - Bar & Pub, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear stormyted,

We are very sorry that you had a bad experience here at The Grapes, so bad you chose to create us a tripadvisor page.
We just wanted to respond to your comments.

Firstly we use an automated electronic POS system that sends the order from the till to the kitchen upstairs where it prints out. Like all technology, occasionally this fails as it did on this occasion - it is impossible to predict such a random event but rest assured that it frustrates us as much as it did you, and I'm sure your order was dealt with quickly once the kitchen knew of the mistake. I have since contacted the people who sold us the till to run a full diagnostic on the system to see if this problem can be avoided in the future.

With respect to the 'home cooked ham', I have to take issue with what you say as we absolutely do not use any processed meat. That is totally untrue - we do not even 'fall back' on bought in stuff, when it runs out it runs out. We buy in uncooked, fresh joints of meat from a local farm butcher - R J Trevarthan - which we roast ourselves and then slice on a slicing machine. If the slice you had had fat on it we can only apologise but say that that in itself shows that it is cut from the joint which is always going to contain fat in places.

With respect to your feeling that the pub had poor ambience, and in general, it is worth pointing out to you and other tripadvisor readers at this time that we are recently new owners and are currently undergoing extensive and major works to redecorate, refurbish and relaunch the venue under a new name, menu and mission - I don't know if you live locally or visit falmouth frequently, but please feel free to come down in August when we're done and I will get you a lunch or meal of your choice and even give you a tour of our of brand new kitchens to see the joints of meat roasting!

Feel free to get in touch: info@thegrapesfalmouth.co.uk