“Birthday treat” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just returned from a thoroughly good four night break at the Greenbank. The hotel has a solid, reliable feel to it. Views over the river from the restaurant and terrace were wonderful. Restaurant and bar menus have improved and now have gluten free options marked, which is really helpful. Bedroom and bathroom were clean and well presented with nice toiletries and good quality, fresh towels each day. The bar/lounge areas had a good selection of newspapers and magazines that positively encouraged you to linger in comfortable chesterfields sofas. Overall well worth its 4 star rating.

A special mention to Matt G, Sophie, Tom and Phil [bar] who ensured that their service exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Choose river-facing rooms for the fantastic views and sunrise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear jaynem_rowlands

I am so pleased to hear your comments, really lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I will pass your feedback to all the team, and hope you will be back to see us again soon!

Ben Young

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We live in West Penwith and have visited the Greenbank previously for a drink and something to eat on their lovely terrace.We normally stay at the St Michael Hotel when visiting Falmouth but we decided to stay at the Greenbank on this occasion as we wanted to enjoy Jazz on the Quay in St Mawes and Custom House Quay for the ferry is close to the Greenbank.
The staff in the bar and restaurant are excellent and we felt very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Very laid back but efficient, just what you want in a good hotel.
Our room was an executive harbour view - OK , but the bathroom was very '80s' and we had to ask for it to be cleaned again as there were hairs in the bath, shower & toilet- not a nice welcome.The grouting around the shower also needed replacing.
The room was lovely and spacious and the view from the room was glorious.
We slept very well until someone set off the fire alarm at 7.10 am , 7.20am and again at 7.35.We were also in the room next to the Riverside suite and reception forgot to mention there was a Falmouth Business breakfast seminar taking place. So, once the fire alarm woke us we then heard all the business people greeting each other and generally having a good old time. Fine for them , but not so great if you wanted a relaxing lie in !
I know this doesn't sound too good, but the staff were really lovely and the location of the hotel is superb. They just need to update the rooms a little and perhaps think twice before putting non- business guests next to the suite when a breakfast seminar is taking place.
Overall we did enjoy our stay but I think we may stay at the St Michaels on our next visit to Falmouth.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room which has been refurbished this year. Harbour view fab.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear SandlP209011

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Firstly please accept my apologies that, for whatever reason, your bathroom was not serviced properly - this is most unusual as all rooms are checked daily by the Head of Housekeeping - I can only suggest that on this particular day their procedures failed. Please be assured that our usual standards are extremely high in this area, indeed our Trip Advisor score is highest for cleanliness along with service and location.

The fire alarm going off was unfortunate, and this was made worse still by the disruption caused by an early morning breakfast meeting! I am dreadfully sorry that these things have conspired against you being able to have an enjoyable, restful and relaxing stay with us.

Your comments on the staff and the location are more like it and I am pleased that on these two areas, at least, we scored better.

Should you ever wish to consider a revisit, it would be great if you would contact me so I can personally attend to the booking, it would be my absolute pleasure to welcome you back.

Thank you again for your review, and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Liskeard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This review is of the hotel's restaurant. The location is fantastic, on the harbour-side, overlooking the river with its sailing boats on their moorings and Mylor on the opposite bank. The restaurant's large windows bring the wide seascape to your table.
The menu looked very good, and as it was lunch time we had the special priced two course meal. We chose a main and a dessert. We had two different fish dishes for the main course. Everyone commented on how good their's was. The puddings were also very good.
The waiter was very attentive and the service was excellent overall.
We will certainly come again, and have started planning our next visit to Falmouth accordingly.
It was lunch time and the restaurant wasn't busy, but the food was delicious! We didn't know the restaurant, and only chose it more or less at random through the internet, but would now highly recommend it to anyone.
Sometimes hotel restaurants can seem a bit stuffy, or old fashioned, not in this case, neither in the attitude of the staff or in the decor.
It wasn't expensive either.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear marcpen

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent meal - it is very gratifying to read your positive feedback.

Within my first couple of weeks of commencement as General Manager at the hotel, Chef and I had 'agreed' to changing the format of menus / food / pricing on offer, as what was in existence previously, whilst great and 2 AA Rosette award winning, was not selling in sufficient volume.

The switch to an all day menu, with a fixed price lunch for £15.95 has thankfully proved to be a popular move (albeit it was still quiet when you visited!), which when coupled with a staffing change or two has given us a far better restaurant 'offering' whilst still retaining the 2 AA Rosettes for quality.

I do hope you will revisit us again in the future to witness our ongoing further improvements.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed with my wife after a business trip to Flushing near Falmouth. Very pleased to get a room allocation that overlooked the harbour instead of the non sea view room which was booked on Booking.com. Lovely clean and spacious room with a very comfy super king size bed, great view from the room though not sure it would be worth the 150% extra charge that the site listed as the option! Only negative comment and disappointment during the stay was the cooked breakfast which was served barely lukewarm, don't like to complain but I would have done had any of the staff asked if all was okay with the breakfast, undercooked bacon, cooked tomato and mushroom that were barely warm were way below what should have been served. Reception staff very pleasant and professional and did make a note when asked for comments on the stay. I'd love to stay again and see if it was an unlucky one off with the breakfast?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Tony LTB B

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.

It did alarm me to read that your breakfast experience was not better, a hot cooked breakfast really is one of the bare essentials a hotel must offer! Moreover I am concerned that you did not receive a 'check back' from the staff to check all was in order, this is routine stuff!

I will be taking up your comments with the team, as frankly we must deliver 100% consistency in such a key area of our guest experience.

I do hope this would not put you off a future stay, and please be assured that this is not typical of our usual standards.

Thank you again for your review, and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your Company again in the future.

Redruth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Last week my husband and I enjoyed a lovely relaxing stay with you.
We were checked in by Nicola who was very professional, friendly & welcoming. On arrival to our room we were greeted by the most beautiful view of the River Fal – My husband & I spent hours sitting in the window and chatting – spending quality time together (something that we don’t usually manage to do with the children around!) whilst watching the boats sail past the Greenbank’s private harbour – It was simply lovely.
Other than the fabulous views over Falmouth this charming hotel serves exceptional food which is of a very high standard & very good value for money, the staff are friendly & very helpful – the Greenbank truly is a Cornish Gem! We can’t wait to return again soon - Thank you Greenbank!

Dear Emma C

What lovely feedback - thank you so much for sharing this with us.

I do agree that the Greenbank truly is a 'Cornish Gem' and one that benefits from a bit of daily 'polish' to make it sparkle!

Your feedback is very gratefully received and it will be immensely motivational for all the team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

with thanks again,

Stratford Upon Avon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Negatives - I stayed before at the Greenbank and had to ask to be moved away from the road, the noise and eye level view of passing vehicles being too intrusive. I prefer a hotel witha spa, but this stay was unfortunately booked for me due to unavailability elsewhere, so I phoned ahead this time and asked for a top floor room away from the road, and was given Room 121 - great harbour view but only 1st floor and seemingly at the junction and lift landing for every chattering guest and staff member in the hotel. The Greenbank is a fundamentally noisy hotel - the road one side, the harbour on the other, the walls are too thin, the plumbing noises from adjacent rooms too apparent, the slamming doors too ill fitting, and the creaking corridors and floorboards above a constant nuisance. The problem is the linear layout - it means that the route for most guests' and function goers' from room to public areas is along narrow creaking corridors, through innumerable fire doors, and up and down uneven stairs all creating passing disturbance to rooms on that route.
The parking is awkward and sloping if you can get a space near Reception - if not you have to squeeze into spaces on the hotel owned quay below the hotel - which whilst picturesque is then a steep walk back up. There is apparently a small garage under the far end of the hotel also.
Positives - good service and a decent choice of non-supplement dishes at breakfast, and decent choice of draft beers and lagers at the bar.
However, overall when I arrive at a hotel I look forward to a sigh of relief, a swim and to relaxing after the working day - unfortunately the experience at The Greenbank is inconvenient, lacking spa facilities and noisy - I shall continue to avoid it in future.

Room Tip: Top floor away from road, function rooms, and not on a thoroughfare
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Bob C

Thank you for your review, your comments are appreciated.

It would appear that we are not the hotel of choice for you and whilst that is perturbing, I can accept that priorities are often ordered differently for our guests. I do believe, however, that all would agree that our hotel is characterful, authentic, historic and unique.

Guest feedback forms demonstrate that <2% of guests consider noise to be a detrimental issue, in addition most view us as particularly convenient, given our location close to, but apart from, the Town Centre. I can state with conviction therefore that the majority of guests do not consider us as ‘noisy and inconvenient’ and I am genuinely sorry to hear that you feel this way.

Essentially one guest’s pleasure may actually be another guest’s displeasure, for example the chinking of rope on mast, the cry of a seagull, the ebb and flow of the tide, or the creak of a 400 year old building may all be viewed as part of the authentic and enjoyable Cornish ambiance by some, whilst others may not appreciate anything other than silence. To coin a traditional phrase ‘one man’s meat and another man’s poison’...

Before I commenced with the management of the hotel, I undertook a few incognito overnight stays; this is a hugely important task as it is the only opportunity a new manager gets to experience the hotel as a guest, clearly once employment is commenced it is no longer possible to ever truly see the hotel through the eyes of a guest! When I stayed overnight I was in 2 different room types; one standard inland and one executive harbour view. I can hand on heart state that neither room was more noisy than any other typical hotel room I’ve stayed in (probably 100’s!) but yes, the hotel is not silent and there is some faint noise from the water, however road noise is certainly minimal (the road adjacent is only a minor ‘b’ road with fairly little traffic) this fact notwithstanding, I am sorry that you were disturbed when you stayed.

There has been a deliberate decision at the hotel not to develop a spa offering, believing that this could detract from our core offer of a unique, luxury hotel, restaurant and bar, featuring some of the very best views in the Country. The theory is that by including a spa that this could in effect dilute the essence of what we do, and how we do it. As you have alluded, there are other options for those requiring spa facilities.

The hotels main function room is fortunately at the far end of the building, and away from guest bedrooms therefore it offers little or no tangible disturbance. I would add that I have just recently changed the entrance to this room from the hotel itself, to a separate direct entrance way completely avoiding the hotel corridors.

With reference to parking, we have 63 spaces including underground, in front, to the side, and on the quay below the hotel. As mentioned elsewhere we have had a problem with non-residents parking on our land and this has been recognised as detrimental for our guest’s experience, therefore I have taken steps to rectify this through the use of guest and visitor permits and more obvious directional signage.

I hope that my response does not sound too defensive, I have merely wished to convey a balanced response to your comments. We do not necessarily suit all, but we do suit most of our guests who appreciate our ambiance, food, location, service and beautiful bedrooms and who rate these as more important than a prevalent silence or a predictable spa offering with guests potentially impacted by dozens of non-residents occupying precious public areas and parking spaces.

Should you find yourself booked back in with us, it would be great to meet with you to discuss your feedback in person and I do hope I will have this opportunity.

Thank you again for your comments.

Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We came for a single night in May on a special dinner, bed and breakfast deal. I made the mistake of choosing a non harbour view room which saved us £20 but was not worth it purely because of the noisy road outside. It was a good size though, clean with a decent size double bed. I did sneak a peek at a harbour view room opposite us and, whilst the room was a similar size and style to ours, the window overlooking the harbour made the room. Plus, I'm sure the outside noise level would be a lot better comparatively.

Service was good, the staff all appeared attentive and as though they wanted to be there which is not always the case in some hotels. The restaurant and bar staff were particularly impressive.

Food was of a high standard however the fillet steak I had was a little on the chewy side for my liking, I've had better steaks. My partner thought the portion size was a little on the small side but I thought it was reasonable for the class of restaurant.

Breakfast was decent, not sure about the make your own toast idea but is not an unusual concept in a hotel.

I would come here again but would definitely get a harbour view room next time!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear existenzialist

Thank you for your review, your comments are very gratefully received .

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear that the room you were allocated suffered from road noise, and I imagine that this was due to the temporary roadworks we endured earlier this month, which thankfully have now gone. I am sure reception would have been able to move you to the other parts of the hotel, if you had let them know.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the service from our staff, they are our best asset and I will enjoy sharing your feedback with them. We do pride ourselves on the standard of all our food, so it came as a surprise to hear of the slight chewiness to your fillet steak, as with the room, I am sure that the team would have done all they could to make things right for you at the time, if it was brought to their attention. I will certainly talk to our butcher and Chef mentioning your comments.

I am so pleased that you would revisit us, and if you would be kind enough to contact me personally, I would be delighted to extend to you every courtesy.

Thank you again for your review.

ben.young@greenbank-hotel.co.uk

Been to Greenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!