“what is everybody talking about” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cliff Road, Falmouth TR11 4NX , England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
barnstaple
“what is everybody talking about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I stayed at the duchy for valentines weekend it was lovely you could not wish for better service, superb food and comfort. The hotel itself is superbly situated and the views are fantastic. The hotel is a stones throw from Falmouth town centre and one minute from a lovely beach with lovely clean and clear water. Take a short stroll further and you will come across another small beach and a large lake with lots of lovely wildlife my children thoroughly enjoyed this.
Dont be disheartened by what others have written you need to experience the lovely hotel for yourselves. We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

What a lovely hotel! From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel very special. Our room was lovely, with a great view, and the food was delicious. Restaurant staff were excellent.
We didnt really leave the hotel all weekend as we wanted a relaxing getaway, and that is certainly what we got!
Overall, this is a classy hotel with friendly staff and wonderful food - We can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

We went to the Royal Duchy for Valentines weekend, it was our fifth trip and we were looking forward to meeting our old regular friends.
Previously we have had very good accomodation and food but this time we were not met at reception, had to take our own cases to the room (I have had a broken hip and replacement in the last 5 months) and had what must have been a converted single room.
I had phoned previously to inform the Hotel I was allergic to pepper and as I suffered from renauds disease (I feel the cold severly) could I have a table near the radiator .
When I arrived I had neither a suitable table nor had the chef been told I had dietary requests.
The first night although we paid £70 a head , I had nothing suitable to eat and it was no better on Valentines night.
The entertainment on Valentines night finished at 10pm instead of the usual 12 pm leaving most guests quite amazed on this special occasion especially as it was advertised as Valentines weekend.
I spoke to some other guests who also agreed that the hotel is nowhere near as good as it was and should not now be 4 star.
At least 12 of us are despite being regulars no longer going to book here.
We all feel very cheated.
Come on Royal Duchy wake up or you will lose all of your regulars, you have already lost 12.

Stayed February 2010
sidmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel staff are very friendly, efficient but not overbaring. The food was beautiful. Dinner taking between 90 and 120 minutes. Room and hotel was clean and tidy. The swimming pool was adequate size for a casual swim. The 3/4 snooker table was in good condition. We did find the wine and drinks expensive. Bar staff were attentive. If there 12 or more hotels better rated than this one in Falmouth, then they are all exceptional.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Spent 3 nights here as a treat for my husband's 65th.

We paid standard room rate (approx £55 per head) and had a very generous sized room at the side of the hotel with a partial view of sea. The bedding was all white and beautifully laundered - it must be a chambermaid's nightmare! The radiator in the room was swift to react to being turned on and warmed the room very efficiently.

All the staff were helpful and friendly and the food was delicious with options to suit all tastes and also for those who want to be a bit more experimental!

Drinks in the bar a bit pricey so don't spend the night there!

We like to take a walk after our dinner and it is a comfortable 15/20 minute walk into the centre of Falmouth. Not much going on in Feb but we like it that way and spent a very interesting few hours at the Maritime Museum.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
cornwall
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel as part of our staff xmas party - everything was booked, food ordered and my accomodation paid for (£32 for the night inland single room) the set xmas party menu was a reasonable choice - but due to an allergy I requested to a minestrone soup as my starter - first of all they gave me salmon, when I said I had ordered minestrone the waitress did not understand me - then when my soup finally arrived after the rest of the party had nearly finished theres I got mine - minestrone soup made with a FISH base that smelt like gone off mackeral - I did complain to someone who was supposedly the "restuarant manager" who took my dish away - she then proceeded to interupt my main course not once but twice, the first time offering wine on the house - I stated clearly that I did not drink - the second time offering me £8 back - which she told me quite clearly was more than the price of the starter anyway - I was too angry at the time to reply to her plus not wanting to spoil the experience for my fellow colleagues. the room i was allocated was located directly above the DJ who was very loud. Breakfast was served in my room as requested but was cold when it arrived. also after paying for my room - I since found out that the hotel was actually offering free accomodation to the party organiser - still dont understand why I had to pay - when challenged reception staff were rude and tried to brush it under the carpet - I had to call a week later as i still had not received my refund - christmas eve this finally arrived - To date I still have not heard from the manager with and apology or explanation. I'm from Cornwall and will certainly never reccommend the questionable 4* hotel to anyone

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Home Counties
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

The arrival was nice and easy, loads of room in the car park and a very keen to help porter. Check in was effortless and when I got to my room I was surprised I could see the sea, even though it was side on. I had booked a late deal due to a sudden business trip and was told there were no sea views available. I think many hotels would class this room as having a sea view and I wasn't charged the extra for the view so a nice piece of honesty there.

The room was fine with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV, armchair and ample storage. The bathroom was very well equipped with a good selection of soaps etc and a good size shelf for all my bathroom bits (a regular gripe of mine).

My one disappointment concerned the dining room dress code. As I have stayed several times in another Brend hotel I knew there was likely to be one in force so I took the trouble to check the web site and it said "smart casual". OK, I know this is open to debate but I felt a clean pair of black jeans with casual brown shoes would be fine. Once in the room I opened the info folder and it said "no jeans or trainers". Being on just a one nighter I had to put my business suit back on to go and eat. It didn't help that once in the dining room it was clear that this policy isn't always enforced with four gents sat at the same table, two in shell suits and open sandals and the other two in denims!

The food was pretty good I have to say but £35 for 3 courses was a little excessive and more than I can usually claim back from my employer. If you get the chance try the soufflé. The service was excellent being both efficient and friendly.

On going back to my room I found my bed had been turned down which was a nice unexpected extra.

All told a good stay and I would have no hesitation in staying again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!