“Rustic charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Shack

The Shack
9 Tidemill House, Discovery Quay | Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 3XP, Falmouth, England
01326 212800
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 168 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Oyster Bar
cambridge
“Rustic charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We love the rustic informality of lunch at The Shack. We've eaten here a few times and it is great to wander in, see what they have on offer, and then order from the blackboard. After fish soup of the day we selected a large lobster, asked if they could split it between two and serve it with salad and new potatoes. All very informal, unhurried, and with a decent bottle of wine that is not overpriced. Very friendly staff and without formality made for a very relaxed and simple lunch.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Average meal, had better ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

For a restaurant selling fresh local seafood it was disappointing to be served old frozen whitebait as a starter. The megrim sole main saved the evening

T0b123, Owner at The Shack, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your main meal.

Firstly I’d just like to reassure you that the whitebait we use is not old!

We use a high quality frozen product which was a decision that we came to with the help of some of our regular customers.

We started off by using a fresh product but it is now impossible for us to source it regularly anymore. We did take the item off the menu but because of numerous requests by customers we found an alternative product which we have since had excellent feedback on – hence continuing to use it.

I am sorry it wasn't to your liking however I’m sure you can understand most of our changes are made on customer feedback and this is what we have decided to do.

Kind Regards
“Maybe I'm just spoiled...?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Lots of great reviews in for The Shack, but I went there with my son yesterday evening and was underwhelmed.
Soup and Mussels to start (mussels nice, but Soup pretty unremarkable)
Medium crab and more mussels for main course. Mussels were nice and plentiful, and the crab was as crab is - tasty, but never enough.
Staff were friendly but slightly stretched to cater for 6 or 7 guest parties.
Almost better than average, but on the whole - I've been to many better places in Cornwall and at home in Scotland.

Visited July 2014
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Best oysters ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely informal lunch here today. Two Fowey oysters were the best I've ever had and that compares to many years of oysters in France among many other references. For main was a small crab served whole with the head pre-prepared but leaving the claws to be broken. A fun experience and the quality was excellent. A slice of lemon tart to finish which was ok, nothing special. Overall a delicious seafood lunch with excellent quality ingredients treated well.

Visited July 2014
“Simply Stunning Seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

After hearing such fabulous reviews, me and my partner visited The Shack for the first time last night, we can't wait to go again! We had the Shack Stack which offered a bit of everything! It was all cooked to perfection, I even tried my first ever oyster! The mussels were to die for, and the sauce they were in was divine! Can't think of one bad thing to day!! We also had the lemon tart and sorbet for dessert, so light and refreshing! A real treat!! You will be seeing a lot more of us in the future!

• Visited July 2014