“Great birthday night out” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 156 restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Fish and seafood restaurant in Falmouth, with classic fish and chips at the heart of the menu and a selection of Rick Stein’s favourite seafood dishes.
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Great birthday night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went to Rick Stein's for a friend's birthday celebration and had a great night out. We had to wait about 5 minutes or so, I think it would be great if they would take a booking for a group. However they served us drinks while we waited. I was very impressed by the scallop starter and main of fish curry. The staff were friendly and attentive and I would definitely eat there again if in Falmouth.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Family gathering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My biggest issue is the fact that i'm allergic to fish :( so i miss out of the great dishes! But i have to say the steak there is amazing! I've had the steak there twice and on both occasions I've thoroughly enjoyed it!
I really have a great love for proper chip shop chips. My Nan used to have a chip shop in Falmouth and they were amazing maybe that's me being biased but they were. Rick Steins chips are fantastic!
I know its a fish shop but it would be nice for a few more choices for unfortunate souls like me.
The staff were very friendly and made sure that we had everything we needed. All our meals including the child's pasta dish were fresh and delicious.
Really looking forward to my next visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

As nearby residents we were attracted by a ' £10 Off voucher', received in the post. We liked the atmosphere; the service was swift and friendly and the classic fish and chips top drawer.I did not like the Penryn brewed black lager, but that was my palate rather than the qualityI can't remember how much it cost but we will definitely return soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“very freshly cooked, but there's a Stein premium to pay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

All the fish seems to be high quality and is cooked to order, so it is in best condition either in the restaurant itself or as a takeaway. However, Stein's curious insistence on frying in beef dripping leaves a tacky lining in your mouth. It is the restaurant's major fault. Fish-eating vegetarians beware!
The quality of the fish in the takeaway matches that in the restaurant and the seafood bar - I have eaten in both. Though the chips, allegedly "homemade", whatever that may mean, do tend towards being a little dry at any time of year. The chips are loaded into the fryers from large polythene bags, so even if they are from potatoes processed on site, they have been in storage; and you cannot help but suspect that if there is an emphasis on freshness, why aren't potatoes processed into chips more visibly in the open plan kitchen...
And there is the Stein price premium to pay - it is not cheap to eat here...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Truro, United Kingdom
“The works Christmas dinner.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just to say thanks to the excellent staff and good food delivered to us in the upstairs dining area just before Christmas. 13 of us all served at the same time , and a very helpful manager who let us choose from across all 3 menus. Good dishes, nicely prepared and good service.
Cost wise, also good value .
I am a fan of the Sea food restaurant and hotel in Padstow, and the Stein machine is a well oiled machine, that always gets things right, good to know that Falmouth delivers the same continuity of service along the lines of the Middle street cafe'

Thank you.