“Lunch after a garden walk.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 156 Restaurants in Falmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
“Lunch after a garden walk.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Four friends and a boxer dog visited the Trengilly Wartha inn for a sunday lunch. Dog friendly. Good choice of meals and we have unusual dietary requirements! Made an effort for us which was most appreciated. Meals were good and plentifull. Service good and attentive. Good selection of drinks and the puddings far too tempting! Very impressed. Thanks!!

Visited November 2013

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Deeply Rural Gastro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Trengilly Wartha is both a village pub and a target for 'up-country' visitors. The range of Real Ales and of wines is exceptional. The fish dishes are better than the meat ones, as you might well expect in the far South West. There is imagination in the cooking. The prices are reasonable and the service both efficient and friendly; a great family place where children and dogs are not just tolerated, but welcomed. Sit outside with you beer on a fine evening and if you don't live down West Cornwall already, you will start to plan your retirement.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Helston
“Great birthday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

As always, polite efficient staff, well kept beer and a wonderful menu consisting locally sourced dishes.
Food really good, well presented with a vast selection of vegetables. Desserts all home made.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Lots of character but food very average (a view shared by the whole family). What a pity. The service was excellent.

Visited October 2013
trengilly, Owner at Trengilly Wartha Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We do not think we are average we certainly strive for excellence
we hope this reviewer will come back and try again and we are shore they
will change their mind.
Cornwall, UK
“Cheaper than other Sunday Lunch options but also less polish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My mum is a real Sunday lunch aficionado. This is because she is herself a fantastic cook who churned out sunday lunch after sunday lunch when we were growing up, along with many other delicious meals. So for her birthday we thought we would check out Sunday lunch at the Trengilly Wartha. I have only been here once before, and enjoyed some good oysters. The menu looked good for Sunday lunch so we thought we would give it a try. On booking, we were presented with a rather confusing choice (confusing if you have never been to this pub or you can't remember much about your last visit): a table in the conservatory or the bistro. The bistro? What's that? Even now after I have had the difference explained to me, I still can't quite figure it out. I think it just means that if you are the bistro, you don't have to order your drinks at the bar - the waitress will bring them. Okay, I don't really get it either, but let's have a table in the bistro. If the Hotel Inspector turned up at the Tregilly Wartha, she would immediately take them to task about the entrance. Although the Trengilly Wartha is in a pretty rural location, once you are in through the door the entrance lobby is like a cross between a working man's club and a run down village hall. There is a long corridor to the right with what appeared to be an old cigarette machine (!), possibly either a pool table or a table football table (can't remember, being so completely underwhelmed by the entrance). On into the bar: classic English country pub. Dark wood bar, settles, rustic tables, dim lighting. But we are not eating in here! No siree! We are booked into... the bistro! The bistro is a cramped side room with about 20 covers, dimly lit, pink walls (possibly), a few rather mis-matched pictures. It all seems a bit... down at heel. Chin up! Our charming waitress takes a drinks order. There is no menu, just the specials board. Mum wants the proper Sunday lunch (pork and all the trimmings) and I order the fish for myself and crab pasta for my daughter. My daughter and I decide to share a starter of garlic bread. Woah! Here it comes! It's presented in a foil parcel with the top rolled back and it is absolutely saturated with butter, and tons of garlic. It tastes good, but the presentation is truly awful. I am starting to have my doubts. Should have taken Mum to the Cove at Maenporth! But then the mains show up and they recover the whole experience. Mum's pork Sunday lunch is really properly hearty, with big dishes of spuds and veg. My daughter's crab linguine is really good with tons of crab in it (though also considerable amounts of shell) and my fish (bass if I remember correctly), came in a delicious creamy sauce with pine nuts. All of this was genuinely very good, and that hearty Sunday lunch that mum had was only about £9 if memory serves me right. Time for desert. My mum has the cheesecake and my daughter has a chocolate mousse. I know she won't finish it, so I don't order desert myself. Sure enough, the richness of the dark chocolate quickly defeats her, and I polish it off gleefully. Mum loves her cheesecake. We have a cuppa and a coffee. It's all ending on a high note with a bill of under £60 for the three of us and that includes starter, three mains, two deserts, a coffee, a tea and three soft drinks. Not bad, and about half the price of other Sunday lunch eateries I have frequented. So in sum, a good meal but with definite work needed on some aspects of presentation. The decor of the Trengilly Wartha has, in my view, tipped over from rustic to shabby. I am so glad I didn't choose the conservatory which looked draughty, cold and uninviting. It was conspicuously empty on the day we visited. I would go again, but probably after a country walk, and not if I was looking for a super-stylish eating experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
thank you for the review glad you enjoyed the meal
your observations have been taken on board but we are not
a restaurant we are a country pub and as such we are trying to please the whole community we serve. This Winter the public areas are due for some TLC