“outstanding food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 168 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: English, Vegetarian
Falmouth
“outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Having recently had a 40th birthday celebration at olivers, we were amazed at the standard of service and the quality of the food which was well presented and superbly cooked. The service was in particular very bubbly and nothing was to much trouble even though the restaurant was busy at the time. Will go again. Keep up the good work Ken and Wendy. all the best for the future.

Falmouth
“Whole heartedly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I have been to Oliver's plenty of times since it opened, it is our new favourite place to eat. The food is always beautifully and creatively presented. We went there for a Saturday lunch last week and my steak was just amazing, really tender, juicy and tasty. My boyfriend's steak dish with peppers and onions was also really flavoursome. The dessert though was turly delicious, a berry compote with vanilla mascapone, given the fact that it was really sunny it made a gorgeous summer dessert. The restaurant itself has a light and airy feel. It suits couples well for a romantic meal but also larger groups of family and friends thanks to the neutral decor. I really love this place, I'd probably eat there everyday if I had the money and metabolism to get away with it. Try it! Very reasonable prices too for the top quailty of ingredients.

Cornwall
“Outstanding service - sublime food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

What a delight. On first glances, Olivers appears a little rustic, but once the food arrives, there is nothing rustic about it.
Kenny (chef) and Wendy (buoyant and enthusiastic front of house) have produced a real gem of a restaurant here.
We had a party of 13 - which took up a good share of the restaurant. All courses arrived at the same time, all were superbly presented, and all were outstanding in taste and flavour.
Wendy has superb knowledge of the product and processes which go into it, and if you get a chance to meet Kenny, he is the most modest chef I have ever come across.
Forget Rick Steins new chippy in Falmouth, go to the other end of town and dine in Olivers - it is a must to visit, and a must to repeat.

If you are on holiday, go early in the week, so that you can go again later in the week
BUT - BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE (WEEKS IF POSSIBLE) - this is very popular indeed - dont be disappointed by not being able to get in.

Portsmouth
“Very nice but maybe my expectations were too high”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Well perhaps my expectations were too high, as I had seen the rating as the top restaurant in Falmouth. Now I had been dieting for about 6 weeks prior to this weekend away with my husband, so I was feeling pretty good about myself, but I am not slim. The restaurant is tiny - only the size of a large lounge and it's tables are too crammed in. Imagine my horror, on arrival to the packed restaurant to be shown to a tiny table for 2 situated in the window. The chair could not be pulled out any further from the table, and the gap between the chair and the table was rather too narrow for me to slide into comfortably. I wedged myself in somehow - by now even the cheerful waitress with her cornish charm could not entice me to relax and enjoy the food properly. We could hear the conversation from the people at the table next to us, even more so as the gentleman got louder as he got more drunk. The food was mostly nice. My husband had a greater seafood starter, and he enjoyed his fish main course. I had mushrooms stuffed with liver pate - they were then deep fried (OK but almost burnt, in my opinion). My main course was Gurnard on a thai style vegetable broth. I gather I had the last piece of Gurnard (as I over heard the waitress saying later to someone else that it was not available anymore). I had the tiniest piece of fish and a whole load of giant prawns (I don't like prawns, I would not have picked this dish had they been mentioned on the menu!). However, my husband polished off the prawns and it was very tasty. We both had bread & butter pudding to finish - not good, it really needed more egg custard and some flavour. I arrived with about an egg dup full of ice-cream. I don't think I would go back. The previous night we had eaten at the Cove Restaurant, on the coast just south of Falmouth. The food was delicious AND the tables had plenty of space to pull out a chair! At both restaurants we spent about £30 each for 3 courses. The service was also rather slow - we arrived at 7.50pm and our main course arrived at the table at 9.15pm

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South West
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic night at Olivers restaurant - having moved away from Falmouth last year (just before Olivers opened) it has been a long wait to get a table but definitely worth it. We went for a family meal and as there were 8 of us managed to try a good selection from the menu. Everything was cooked to perfection and the flavour combination was great. I would definitely recommend the Grilled seafood salad, it is much better than you would anticipate and far superior to anything I've tried anywhere else. The atmosphere in the restaurant is great, good for a party or intimate dinner for two and the service is impeccable - thanks Jade! It is definitely a good idea to book as they were having to turn people away all night. Kenny & Wendy (the proprietors) really have something special here and next time we're back in Falmouth we will definitely go back and will be recommending to everyone. Thanks