“Every bit as good as the reviews” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 168 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: English, Vegetarian
London, United Kingdom
“Every bit as good as the reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This place looks like an average cafe, nice wooden kitchen tables, pretty relaxed. However it really come up trumps in the food department. For £12.95 I think (not totally sure I've got the pence right) you can have a 2 course lunch. I had a mixed fish dish with herby mash potato, and it was incredible. I would expect to pay £15-20 for that dish alone in a good restaurant. The food is some of the best I have had.
I recommend this place to everyone!

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Best food you can find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This must be the best small restaurant in the country and is a real find.
We had lunch here after a two year gap from our last visit and I can say it was that good that we booked again for the following day. The food is amazing for the price and would not be out of place in a Michelin establishment. The selection of dishes on the menu is excellent and shows the flair of Ken the chef who is a real professional, and is complemented by his wife Wendy who is a great front of house asset and so friendly. I would say that if you are in Falmouth you must visit this great restaurant, we will definitely be returning. Many thanks Ken & Wendy for a great experience.

“Gastronomic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The restaurant cancelled their gourmet night – but decided to keep the table reservation. Again an absolute first class experience – the food was cooked to perfect. This must be one of the top foodie restaurants in Falmouth. After the starter and main plus tasty mushroom soupy amuse-bouche, didn’t need pudding – coffee and brandy finished things off well.
Only adverse comment is serving the starter on slate. Guess it is old fashion me who like their food on white plates. I’ll never get use to this modern idea of presenting food on bits of roofing tile and off cuts of wood.
However, brilliant gastronomic evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shrewsbury
“Not much left to add.....Just stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

All the other reviews basically sum this place up. Just wonderful. We managed to get a last minute cancellation for our 3rd wedding anniversary. Although the restaurant was full with a very large group taking up one side, it did not affect the service or food. Both woman who served us were chatty, attentive and polite. My husband had the mackerel and crab to start and I had the scallops. Both were stunning. However the real star of the show was the main course. We both opted for the fillet steak wrapped in ham....oh my god.....sublime! We weren't even given steak knifes as the steak just melted.....perfection. To get food that food in such a busy environment is just amazing. Can't wait to visit again and sample their other menu delights......

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A welcome welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The first 2 restaurants on our list being closed and both of us being cold from our boat trip down from Truro, it was a welcome sight to find Olivers open and with a free table. The welcome from the lady in pink (who was the owner/chef's wife) was very warm and friendly and she soon had us sorted with drinks and descriptions of the dishes on the menu. We could have chosen any one of the dishes - they all sounded good. I plumped for the mackerel and my husband had the best sardines he's ever had. We both had the hake as a main course which came on a bed of crushed potato and courgette strips which was more exciting than it sounds. This was accompanied by a South African chenin/viognier blend called Pecheron which was lively and crisp and which we managed to polish off before a raspberry frangipan and a treacle tart and ice cream. The restaurant is unpretentious, tastefully decorated with an eclectic mix of paintings and metal sculptures with a coastal theme. All this at at a very reasonable price too.

• Visited September 2013