“Very good value for money; food and service consistently good and professional.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour View Cafe

Ranked #36 of 175 Restaurants in Falmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Bethel, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Gosh, maybe that previous reviewer had a bad day. We visit Falmouth 4 or 5 times a year and have always found the food and service consistently good and professional. Popped in last night (September 5th) and again were rewarded with an experience well up to the usual standard.

I had that dish of mackerel fillets and they were perfectly lovely, crispy-skinned and very fresh. The accompanying crushed potatoes were indeed prepared with herb butter, but blended very well. The disk of brown crab “pâté” on top melting into them was just inspired!

My hubby had the fruits de mer starter. Great mix of clams, langoustines, mussels and scallops, again perfectly cooked, in a herby, winey broth.

Very good value for money; we will definitely be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Diabolical: avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I don't know whether my visit coincided with a particularly off day, but I really don't recognise the "excellent" tags others have put on this place.

1) The bottle of wine ordered was plonked (no pun intended) on the table unopened & I wasn't even asked if I wanted to taste it (I'm not that pretentious anyway). It was a screw top, so I didn't have to call the waiter back, but it could have been a bottle of pop for all the care that it was given.
2) Dirty glasses.
3) Fruit flies all over the place - a clear sign of a lack of thorough cleaning.
4) Smoking allowed outside (no problem with this per se), but because there were no restrictions on how close to the open doors & windows smokers could sit, those of us who object to tobacco with everything had no choice but partake in a little passive cancer session.
5a) Pan-fried mackerel was soggy, tasteless & had all the look of just being zapped in the microwave.
5b) Potatoes smothered in butter & with a lump of "herb butter" dropped on top that had come straight out of the fridge & added nothing but extra fat.
5c) Salad was straight out of a supermarket bag & covered in a dressing that (if was genuinely made on site) was mixed in the sugar bowl and tainted the entire plate.
6) Rather alarming regularity of a microwave ping from the kitchen, not so cunningly disguised by the service bell on the pass.

Overall one of the worst places I've ever eaten. The food wasn't inedible, but it was a school canteen lunch, not an evening meal costing £30.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
South Wales
“Friendly Spot - Good Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

A lovely place to sit and eat on the open-air terrace on a sunny evening. A basket of woollen throws is provided in case it gets a little chilly, a really nice touch. We found the service to be excellent and the food really good value for money. As non-meat eaters we had plenty of choice - mainly from the interesting specials' board and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Wine list a little limited but ok. Well worth a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Surprisingly nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Not our first choice of restaurant, but because we didn't book a table at our chosen option we took pot luck.
We sat inside - a small room with an ample bar. Modern looking - yet lacked attention to detail. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The menu was small and too the point - usual fare - steak, chicken, seafood etc. There was also a specials board - which was difficult to see from our table.
We ordered drinks which arrived promptly. Our order was taken in good time too. Food arrived after a short time - no starters were ordered. The fish and chips were presented nicely. A large piece of haddock (catch of the day) - fresh - in a nice crisp batter that needed seasoning, however the fish tasted lovely. The hand cut chip were delicious. The pea puree also need a little more seasoning. The tartare sauce was overpowered by what i think was taragon? All in all though a very nice fish n chips for under £10. A steak was also ordered - which i'm informed tasted good and was cooked as chosen, it was well presented too.
No pudding on this occasion. Our waitress was attentive and polite - as were all the staff that attended to us.
The Harbour view was a pleasent experience and i can imagine would be a lovely setting for dining on a warm summer's evening at one of their outside tables overlooking the harbour.
Just over £50 for three diners - a bottle wine - a G&T, x2 soft drinks - no Starters or Puds.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ely, United Kingdom
“Breakfast - OK but not consistent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had breakfast here twice while on holiday in Falmouth. On both occasions the weather was nice enough so that we could sit outside.

On the first visit I had the English Breakfast minus the Hogs Pudding; my wife had the Bacon Eggs Benedict. Both were very nice although I do wonder why restaurants serve baked beans in a separate dish. What do they expect you to do with them? My wife so raved about hers that I'm going to have to perfect poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce.

The second visit was OK but not as good as the first. Again I had the English Breakfast but my fried egg could have done with another 30 seconds in the pan to get rid of the uncooked egg-white (yuk) and they forgot to leave off the Hogs Pudding. My wife had the Bacon Eggs Benedict again but this time said the sauce wasn't nearly as good at the previous visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere