“Good pub experience” 4 of 5 stars

01829 741863
Improve this listing
Ranked #163 of 411 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European, British, Gastropub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
“Good pub experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Excellent staff, good value food, very child friendly. Hope this manager makes a go of it. Perhaps a coffee morning for mums and babies, look at what the Queens Head does in Frodsham. How about some good brunch dishes, eggs benedict etc served on Sunday mornings with newspapers on hand. Good Luck.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hampshire
“Under new management, definitely worth visiting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The George and Dragon is operating under new management, and if the food is anything to go by it deserves to be very busy indeed.
I ate there with my mum and a friend - they ate the chicken liver parfait with toast and I had the pork with mash. Very tasty indeed, and just the right amount for a smaller appetite (chicken liver parfait) and a meat fiend (pork). The service was impeccable, and I just wish I lived nearer to take advantage of the excellent food ...
I only awarded 4/5 as I didn't get chance to sample the puddings (which looked fab, btw). Next time ...

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous bar staff - what a credit to an otherwise dire experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Sorry to the new owner, but the great bar staff is all I can say to recommend this pub - once a great eating experience inTarvin, but no longer so. However, all credit to Sean who has in the past produced some great food.

The reviews cannot be personal, but if I compare this to the superb management by Neil at the Stamford Bridge, this comes nowhere near. If you are after good hearty food and a warm welcome, my tip is to drive the few miles along to the Stamford Bridge and give the George and Dragon a wide berth.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northwich, United Kingdom
“glad we decided to stay and eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We visited on wed 23rd october for a drink while we decided where to go to eat. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly barman who asked us if we would be eating there. We decided to look at the menu as the previous time we had eaten there a few years back we had been very diisappointed with the meal.We decided to stay and eat even though we were the only people there at the time(about 6.30). the meal was delicious we couldn't fault it at all. My husband had the chicken parfait starter & the slow cooked lamb with dauphinoise potatoes & veg while I had the checken & bacon croquettes of the specials board & then I had lasagne. starters & main courses were both delicious & we will definately visit again. It was also a pleasure to be served by staff that seemed to care about the customers.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Hobgobblin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

It was nice to enter a pub that serves decent beer and staff that actually know what they are talking about ! I was served by a short barman who was very diligent in advising me on trying the Hobgobblin as I have never tried it before and i was very impressed with his choice!

• 5 of 5 stars Food