“Low Standard Bed and Breakfast, highly overpriced” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Latymer Hotel

Latymer Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Latymer Hotel
You added Latymer Hotel to your Saves list
82 Hough Green, Chester CH4 8JW, England   |
Ranked #42 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Frankfurt
“Low Standard Bed and Breakfast, highly overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I booked this so called hotel because of the good reviews and can hardly believe that we were in the same Latymer. I have been in many Bed and Breakfasts before and compared to the others this is only a low standard one. And I can't recommend it to anyone for the price we paid.

My girlfriend and I stayed there in August 2008 for three nights. We booked it for 75 Pounds per night. When we left I told the landlady that we were not satisfied at all and she reduced the price to 60 Pounds which in my opinion was still far to expensive.

The good things I can say about this B&B are:

1. The landlady was very friendly.
2. The bedroom was large.
3. We could park our car on the grounds.
4. Breakfast was o.k. though nothing extraordinary for the price.
5. It seemed to be reasonably clean.

Those were the flaws:

1. The bathroom was so tiny you couldn't swing a cat in it. Not even a mouse. In the shower you could hardly move. If your soap fell down you had to press tightly against the wall to pick it up without flooding the bathroom.

2. The curtain for the shower stank. I don't know what they did with it but the whole room stank after it.

3. In contrast to other comments, we found the service neglegtfull: no milk in our room, on the first night no spoons (try to prepare instant coffee without a spoon.), no glasses or at least plastic cups for our toothbruhes. I used my hands instead to drink water for gargling. (You couldn't drink out of the tap because the washbasin was so tiny you would have rammed your head at the tap.) We only got one roll of toilet paper for the three days. Luckily we expected it to run out and asked for a new one the last evening. Otherwise we would have had a problem on the next morning. There also was no hairdryer.When we asked the landlady, we got her own one. I wouldn't expect one in a cheap bed and breakfast. But in a hotel which charges 75 or 60 Pounds per night I certainly do.

4. The furnishing of the room was poor. We felt uncomfortable. Only one hard chair for the two of us. Hardly any decoration. The light on one night table was not working.

5. The curtain was of a cream colour and the light shone through it. That woke us up very early.

6. On the website of the hotel and in some of the reviews beautifull grounds are mentioned. The window of our room faced the car park. And behind that was a busy road.

7. On the website it is said that this so called hotel were in easy walking distance from the city center. In one review it is mentioned that it takes 10 to 15 minutes to get there. Maybe it's just a question of definition. We needed 26 minutes (yes, we stopped it), and we walked quickly. In ten to fifteen minutes we could only reach a roundabout with many cars. As we are not very fond of cars we wouldn't define this as the city center. For us it's the area with the shops and pubs and restaurants and all that stuff.

8. I must admit that I lost my temper when the landlady told me that I couldn’t pay by credit card when we checked out. (And I do not easily lose my temper.) We booked this so called hotel via the internet and I garanteed the booking with my credit card. So I din’t expect this and I am also not the guy who always has 225 Pounds in his wallet. So we had to walk to the next cash machine which luckily was nearer than the city center in easy walking distance.

You can certainly imagine that we wouldn`t recommend this so called hotel to anyone. At least not if you are charged more than 30 Pounds per night (not per person and night, mind you!). There should be better choices. The Best Western Queens Hotel for example, which has quite good reviews, was available for 65 Pounds per night. And that is really central. Although you couldn't book it in advance for this rate I think. We found it out when we were in Chester. When we looked up the Queens Hotel in the internet they charged more. So my advice: If you don't want to spend too much money on accomodation don't book in advance but book when you are there. You will most probably find something better than the Latymer B&B for 60 Pounds per night.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at the Latymer for a friends 40th Birthday and Chester Races which is within walking distance.
Although we did not spend a great deal of time in the Bed and Breakfast the time spent was thoroughly enjoyable.
The owners were very friendly and their conversations with us showed they were genuinely interested in our stay and comfort. Breakfast was lovely and we could not have been accommodated any more than we were. The location is ideal for Chester centre and sites.
The owners were celerbrating there first anniversary and their pride for their place was obvious.
Please give this accommodation a chance when looking for a friendly and quite stay.
I would and probably will be using this accommodation again when staying in Chester.

Stayed July 2008
rochdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is our 3rd time staying at the Latymer.
Louise is a lovely host, and very welcoming on arrival.
The amount of refurbishment and redecoration that has been undertaken in the 12months Louise and her husband have had the hotel is a credit to them.
We recognised 3 couples from our previous stays, which says a lot about the hotel, and they were also planning return visits.
The situation of the hotel is ideal, 10 to 15 minutes walk to the city centre and the racecourse.
A hearty breakfast to set you up for the day, and ,if you don't feel like a full english,Louise will make whatever you want.
We will definately be staying here again, and have recommended the hotel to friends.

• Liked — comfortable rooms, and helpful host. Location great.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
fleet
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed with you for the Saturday and Sunday of the late May Bank holiday weekend. I chose the accommodation because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Like the previous reviewer states, this is a bed and breakfast and not a hotel. I would pay extra and stay somewhere that was clean!!! My main comments are:
1. The welcome was excellent.
2. The room was filthy - when I got an extra blanket from the wardrobe I could have written my name in the dust.
3. The milk on the hospitality tray was out of date and off. The biscuits were also out of date. A number of residents were complaining about this at breakfast the next morning.
4. The hospitality tray was not refilled on the second day. There was a complete lack of attention to detail.
5. The two single beds were in an L shape with a bedside cabinet in between. The furniture was so tight that there was a ripple effect when my friend moved in her bed. On the second night I decided to move the bedside cabinet – I soon put it back when I saw the inches of dirt and dust. The furniture had obviously not been moved for a considerable amount of time.
Overall, extremely disappointing.

• Liked — the welcome
  • Disliked — the dirt!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rhyton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Myself and my Partner came up to Chester visiting family and stayed at the Latymer, Louise the owner greeted us on arrival, showed us to our room, very clean and spacious. The breakfast was delicious and more than enough. Overall the stay was very pleasant and the place has a great atmosphere. Would stay again.

• Liked — Friendly, welcoming, clean, good food
  • Disliked — that they didnt do evening meal,
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

This Bed & Breakfast (despite its name it is not a hotel) has been recently bought by a very pleasant and welcoming hostess, Louise, and is in the process of being redecorated.
Our bedroom was spacious but unfortunately the colour scheme meant that the curtains were a light cream and I was woken at dawn – 5.10 – not the best for a relaxing night’s sleep. The following night my husband put a black throw from the bed over the curtain and we managed a better sleep.
Despite the description on the website, the drinks licence has not yet been approved and there is really no suitable sitting room.
When we asked for advice for evening meal Louise suggested a couple of local restaurants and we were delighted with her recommendations.
In retrospect I think I would rather have paid an extra £20 each and I would have been able to take a special offer for bed and breakfast in The Queen Hotel.

• Liked — Touris information left in room by helpful hostess
  • Disliked — Still a bit shabby and no net or blind on groundfloor bedroom for privacy
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

We are a young couple and booked the latymer over the phone and were very impressed how helpful and friendly the owners were. When we arrived early in the morning we had a lovely welcome and were able to change for a wedding in the room...we were even given a bacon sandwich!!!! Louise, the owner, was exremely welcoming and friendly. If we return to Chester we will definitely stay here again, there were so many personal touches to our stay which are not like normal hotels, a warm, family run place which suited us down to the ground. Fantastic, thanks.

• Liked — The owners were friendly and there were many personal touches
  • Disliked — it is being refurbished and will look great when it is all finished
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Latymer Hotel? Share your experiences!