“Great pub with lovely food!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 376 restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great pub with lovely food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Visited The Old Harker's Arms last night (Sunday 19 August) while visiting Chester with my partner. It was the first time we'd ever been there and we were not disappointed!! The pub has a lovely atmosphere and was busy for a Sunday night. There was a great selection of drinks, especially real ales, and my partner enjoyed and would thoroughly recommend a pint of the 'Cheshire Cat'!!
The food was excellent- I had the sausage, leek mash and onion gravy, and my partner had the steak burger- which he loved!! We then shared a sticky toffee pudding and custard- we were both very full from the hearty portions provided by our mains, but the desserts sounded so tempting that it seemed rude not to at least sample one. That's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway...
All in all, a great pub- would visit again when we return to Chester, and would definitely recommend it to others!!

• Visited August 2012

82% Recommend
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Must admit walking from the centre of Chester is a bit of a trek and we nearly turned back as we thought we were going to end up in a dead end. However so glad we decided to carry on. What a find. Lovely looking pub inside and out. Atmosphere superb as was the food. Would definitely go again.

Manchester
“Another great brunning & price place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Being a fan of the Brunning and Price pubs I was looking forward to trying here on my visit to chester last weekend.
Didn't disappoint! Great canalside location, great drink and great food!
Only reason it didnt get 5 stars is the burger bun used for the steak burger......very poor quality!

That aside, this place is great!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great pub that serves great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The atmosphere at Harkers is fantastic. I go regularly with family and friends and there is never any trouble, it is one of the most friendly establishments in Chester! The selection of alcohol, especially cask ales and ciders, is second to none. The staff are all more than happy to help and will go out of their way to do so if necessary. The fact that the pub is always full, even midweek evenings and sunday nights (when others may be dead), is a testament to it's high quality. To that tune, if you do plan to eat, I would recommend booking a table! I would highly recommend to others and I do return, and regularly at that!

• Visited July 2012
chester
“Reasonably priced, great selection of drinks, food great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

There is a good, if a little pretentious atmosphere at Harkers, however this is easily overlooked with great food and wide selection of quality drinks. Situated at the canal side just below city road, it is a relaxing place to sit outside on a nice day. Prices are reasonable and the staff helpful. There is very little to offer in the way of negatives. I am sure you will have a good time here

• Visited April 2012