“Lovely little find” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leyland, United Kingdom
“Lovely little find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed in Chester and visited here for evening drinks on a couple of occasions. We loved the feel of it - very rustic and homely, and we loved the history behind it. Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place for a drink or two whilst in Chester. Just a 5 minute walk from the main shopping area.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Booked just from what was said on trip advisor, you weren't wrong, lovely place lots of character.
They also pour an excellent pint of Guinness, which shows attention to detail. Staff very helpful and friendly. Never met Peter the ghost.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We went to Chester for at little R and R, and decided to call for a drink, loads of fab places to eat and drink in Chester, so when we got to Ye Olde Kings Head, we were not disappointed. The atmosphere and ambience of the pub is great, I am a tall woman so the ladies toilets are a challenge. We ordered food at the bar, and it was really lovely, presentation was terrific, and so was the food, we will definitely return, and would recommend anyone in the area to visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed at the KIngs Head for 2 nights recently and we will be back! On entering this beautiful hotel, we were greeted by a roaring fire, ye olde worlde surroundings and a delightful lady behind the bar, who we informed that we had booked a room. We were shown straight away to our room by a lovely young man. We booked at the last minute and got the last room left, room 4, which although small, was very warm and cozy looking when we put the little lamps on in the room. Lovely big window which overlooked the High Street. Very spacious new bathroom, clean and spotless!

After booking in, we went downstairs for a bit of lunch, enjoyed it so much we had all our meals there for the 2 days. We tried, the lasagne (the best I've ever tasted!), sausage, mash and onion rings and gravy, the gammon steak (just melts in your mouth), homemade chicken burger (huge) ..... really good homemade food served here, no faults at all and all at good prices, you even get a discount on top of it, if you are staying at the hotel! 2 main meals, 1 pint beer and a lemonade = £11,75

Location is good, a couple of minutes one way to the river (we will be back in the summer for the boat trips) .... and a couple of minutes in the other direction to all the shops. This was our first visit to Chester and we will be back in the summer for a few days, and will most definitely be staying at the KIngs Head, great staff, hotel and food and location, what more could you want!

Book it .... you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Everything about my stay was amazing. The staff are by far the friendliest hotel staff I have met. The room was brilliant despite the possibility of meeting a resident ghost. I had tea in the resturant and again the staff where very friendly and efficient and the food was amazing. The pub was lovely and cosy with the open fire going but atill had a really good atmosphere with a live singer on the night I stayed. I will going back and highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I had to choose somewhere to stay for 5 nights, and this was purely done by researching on Trip Advisor as I had never stayed anywhere in Chester before. I came across this little gem, and I am very pleased that I braved the fact that it was haunted, and booked!

From the moment I booked, I felt welcomed at Ye Olde Kings Head. I contacted them on Facebook, they responded straight away. I was really excited to stay in a place with such character and less than 5 minute walk from the Uni.

We stayed in Room 2. One of the least haunted rooms thankfully! It was beautiful, with the black beams & white walls. Low door frame for the bathroom but I just loved the character that this room had to offer. We asked for a TV and a helpful member of staff brought us a flat screen TV with free view and DVD player. Excellent! There was a kettle, mugs, spoons and coffee & tea on the dresser. There was also a hair dryer and a trouser press. The bed was mega comfy and so warm. We had some really good sleeps there! The only negative about the room was that the walls are very thin, and the floorboards creak a lot so you can hear all sorts going on BUT I would not let this stop me staying there again, and nor should you.
The bathroom was stunning. There was lovely hot water, but the shower could have been just that little bit more powerful. This didn't affect our stay.
One night we ate downstairs, the landlord kindly gave us discount off our drinks as well as the food so thank you for that! We had fish & chips and it was gorgeous. The bar is just filled with character, and a real log fire. Cosy!
One night we ended up staying out a little later than expected and when we returned at 11.30 we were locked out. I think we were supposed to have been given a Yale key, but we only had the fob! Luckily, 2 guests were abouts to let themselves in so we got in ok. This is not a criticism, but just to make sure that the keys for Room 2 should have a Yale key on them.
I would like to think that I experienced some ghostly activity during my stay here-on 2 occasions I heard something drop & bounce in the room. It was playful, and when I got home and researched the Inn, I found out that a child haunts the place?! Wicked! I really think the ghost child was there-it felt lovely and not threatening at all.
I would love to come back on another occasion and do some proper ghost hunting!! What an interesting, unique and special place to spend time.

I would like to thank the staff at the Inn for making us feel welcome and for keeping the place alive-it's really important that our heritage is looked after & restored for the next generations to enjoy!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a fantastic place to stay to see Chester, being only a short walk from the heart of the City being convenient for shopping and the Cathedral. It is, as the name suggests, old and full of character. The rooms are refurbished and decorated tastefully to a good standard, and the shower room was new and clean. The old timbers are exposed, you just have to mind your head on the truss, and duck to go to the toilet! The sloping floor just adds to the interest, and doesn't prevent a good nights sleep on a nicely firm bed. Just as long as you remember when you get up, and don't think you are drunk! The food is absolutely delicious. Everything is obviously freshly prepared, cooked to perfection and nicely presented with generous portions. The home made chips are to die for. Eggs Benedict for breakfast, yummy; and Panini's for lunch, mmm. The staff were friendly and very helpful making us feel welcome and couldn't do enough to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We are going back there in the summer without doubt!

Room Tip: Room 1 has a four poster and looks really nice.